FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Motherboard advice needed

Post Date: 2020-10-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
retsam3349 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote retsam3349 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Motherboard advice needed
    Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 1:23pm
I am trying to configure a new Velox gaming system for around $4-5K.

I would like advice on what motherboard to choose.  I have no Idea what to really look for.  Is it worth >$600 for the higher end motherboard? Any other suggestions on my configuration are welcome.

My Config ID 3487638 - SKU 2958719

My available motherboard Choices:

1) MSI X299 PRO (Intel X299 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices) [default]

2) ASUS Prime X299-A II (Intel X299 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices) (ThunderboltEX Optional) [+$160]

3) MSI Creator X299 (Wi-Fi) (Intel X299 Chipset) (TPM Module) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices) [+$335]

4) ASUS ROG Strix X299-E Gaming II (Wi-Fi) (Intel X299 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices) [+$356]

5) ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore (Wi-Fi) (Intel X299 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices) [+$678]

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 1:35pm
If you are going to do some serious overclocking, the Rampage VI is the one. Otherwise the others are very good. I like Asus but MSI's are also very reputeble. Do a search online for reviews of each. Some are very illustrative and detailed. Only you really know what will the system be used for and reading the reviews can show if the mobo can do.

BTW I checked your configuration and your Storage Set1 is not the fastest. It is SATA and you want Nvme. The M.2 is only its size factor not its interface.
That will be a very nice system.
Strong

Edited by hoserator - 23 Oct 2020 at 1:42pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 4:21am
A nice system it may be, but you said it was for gaming. I suggest you inform yourself regarding the differences between the 10th gen Intel procs and the X-series. Beyond 8, more cores don't come into play for gaming, and speed is the thing. The X series are made for heavy number crunching on all cores/threads at once, not needed in gaming. Note the 10900K Turbos up to 5.3 GHz, the 10940X needs a level 2 OC to get to 4.8. Basically, it's not a gaming proc. But again, inform yourself, don't just take my word.

The motherboard I'd recommend to pair with a 10700K thru 10900K would be the Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero for you. And ditto hoserator on the primary drive. NVMe runs off the PCIe bus and is 5 times faster than SATA.
 Post Reply Post Reply