FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

motherboard/chip which will be most upgradeable?

Post Date: 2020-11-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Biscoloco View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Biscoloco Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: motherboard/chip which will be most upgradeable?
    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 4:20pm
I’m don’t want to start a mother board or amd/intel fight, but I am interested in hearing the enthusiasts opinion on the chipset and motherboard that will be most prepared to deal with the future technologies that will be coming through the computer pipeline.

Future of tasking, future of gaming, future of VR, future of AI, and machine learning through home computing.

Right now I have an intel I9 10850k with a z490 mother board on order with an rtx 3090 mainly because I was looking a fast single task gaming rig.

What I’m wondering is if this z490 board will be around for another decade for future iterations? If I’m gonna pay that much for a chip and board, I want it to be able to handle whatever can be thrown at it for the next decade.

Will we start to see games utilize more cores in the future to squeeze more speed out of the chip?

Should those of us with computer with only 10 cores and 128GB ram be concerned that we’re really gonna need 32 or 64 cores on down the road?

Somebody might ask what are the plans for computer.
I don’t do a whole lot of rendering or video editing. I am interested in machine learning, AI, and python Potentially writing complex algorithms for retail market trading. And from gaming standpoint high end RTS, 4K and VR gaming.

I don’t really care about the first person shooter games like COD, etc...
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 3:45am
Welcome to DS.
I am also an Intel/Nvidia enthusiast. However AMD is coming back into the fray big time and who knows.

I don't think you will be able to get a top of the line cpu to fit a 6 year old mobo (usually when the word upgrade comes up). It is way easier to get a gpu(s) and make it go the last 4 to 5 years. By that time the cpu will probably not be enough. IMHO Smile
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 3:53am
No matter what board you buy now, in 5 years, 6 tops, you have reached what I have over the last 20 years of gaming with custom rigs, can't do much with them as far as upgrading without swapping out to a new MB and go from there. Hence, 4-6 years, maybe a new gpu in there somewhere, then I just spec another to be bluilt for me. Just my thoughts and experience with it all.
Old Gamers Never Die!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 5:51am
Intel has had a very limited run of usually two generations of CPU in recent years. AMD has been much better, but that may be changing as they continue to push the higher end.

I hate to spoil the parade, but it seems curious to me that you voice these concerns and then built a PCIe generation 3 rig. Intel is way late to the Gen 4 party, but they are joining with new parts after the New Year. AMD has been PCIe Gen 4 over a year. the differences aren't all that great ATM, but going forward...?
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 8:40am
And Cretae does make a very valid point, always go for the latest tech on the mobo (usually means $$$$$) and right now that belongs to AMD - PCIe Gen 4.
 Post Reply Post Reply