Mouse is Mistracking

Post Date: 2010-11-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Mouse is Mistracking
    Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 2:14am
Getting some weird behavior lately with my Logitech G700 lately, it's been mistracking like crazy in Black Ops and sometimes on my desktop as well, so it's not just Black Ops' crappy coding. By mistracking, I mean like the mouse will refuse to go one way or another, like there's an invisible line blocking it, and it'll stutter all around that like (probably because of my DPI, usually 5400~5700).  Gets seriously frustrating since, well, how annoying is it that you're already ADS just shy of a guy about to spray at you and you can't quite get your mouse to move over to him?

Full Story:
I'd originally switched to just using my plain desk for a week or so because my Staples office mousepad really wasn't giving me the precision I wanted (obviously, using high end gear with low-end is a no-no), and the desk of course started gave me mistracks. I lived with it for a day or two, got fed up and switched to my staples pad and I still had a few mistracks here and there. Just need to note that the mouse has never mistracked on me before when I used that pad. So I gave my sensor a low dose of compressed air to blow out any dust, still didn't quite fix it. Today, I went over to Microcenter looking for a camera deal to replace a 2yr old thing that had a gunked up lens (don't ask), didn't find it, but picked up a SteelSeries QcK pad anyways to see whether that'd fix the mistracks. Worked like a charm for a good bit, but still gave me one or two mistracks here and there.

Any clue what could just be causing it?
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 10:40am
BT mice have always had issues tracking properly.  They work fine one minute, then they go goofy like you're describing.  I used to use them back in the day and then finally got sick of what you're experiencing and just went wired.  You can't go wrong with wired and you'll never have any response issues or lag (not that you had any), but BT mice just don't have the consistency that wired mice have.  I believe your mouse is BT, yes? 
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 3:24pm
The G700 actually operates on the 2.4Ghz wireless band in fact, not really Bluetooth. I've made sure to disable the 2.4Ghz band on my wireless router so as to minimize as much wireless traffic in my vicinity, though.
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 3:36pm
I hear ya, but I've just heard way too many issues with remote mice causing these types of issues that it drove me back to the wired mouse.  Have you tried a wired mouse to see if it gives you better results?  Even a router can drop signal enough at times to give you an intermittent problem and, there are too many other variables around you, even outside your house, that can cause interference with remote mice and keyboards.

I had BT in the past, and when I changed to a wired mouse, the issue went away.  You'll never have response times like you would with wired mice, it doesn't matter how high-end the remote mouse is.  I would try a wired mouse in game and see if you can rule out my theory, or confirm it.

Edited by EdH63 - 27 Nov 2010 at 3:38pm
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 3:46pm
Another thing to consider is the reflective nature of your mouse pad.  If your pad is reflecting too much, then your mouse could track incorrectly.  Try a white piece of paper with no print on it and see if it tracks properly.  And, just to reiterate, radio frequencies bouncing around the house from other sources, inside or out, can interfere with it.

EDIT:  I noticed you said above you've been using your actual desktop, wood surface?, instead of a mouse pad.  I will say that was the worst source of tracking when I used to do that too.  Get a good non-reflective mouse pad.

Edited by EdH63 - 27 Nov 2010 at 3:51pm
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 5:48pm
Got a SteelSeries QcK, it's a cloth pad. Little bit of reflective grain embedded in it, very mild though.

Used wired before, I just switched to wireless because I'm possibly going to be taking this on the go later on. Logitech claims that the charging cable will link the mouse via a wired connection, though I'm really not too sure since the mouse actually won't work with only the cable plugged in (hah, you have to have the wireless receiver and the cable plugged in).
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 8:23pm
When you were using wired, did you have any issues with that?  

Edited by EdH63 - 27 Nov 2010 at 8:23pm
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 9:51pm
Mehhh, haven't been using wired lately. I've a laughably puny space to mouse around in (hah, lemme measure it right now....4" by 9". LOL), but I've adapted myself to use the high 5700dpi resolution to my advantage in order to compensate for it. Works pretty well.

Gonna have to get back to you in a day or so about wired.
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
 Post Reply Post Reply