FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Moving Files from SSD (C drive to D drive)

Post Date: 2020-04-12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rbinsanity13 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rbinsanity13 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Moving Files from SSD (C drive to D drive)
    Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 11:53am
Hello everyone, This is my first post so here so I hopefully am posting in the right thread...

That being said I got a Digital Storm computer that I have had for a few months now and I have ran int o some storage issues. When I first booted my computer I put everything into my C drive (SSD) (500gb) and realized now after I have downloaded multiple games I was running out of room fast. I started by changing my default save locations for things not related to games onto my D drive where they should be. However even after deleting ALL of my games on my C drive but two it still says I only have 80gb free of 500.. And when I go to apps and programs there's nothing big showing.. I was curious if theirs a simple way to safely move my user stuff and files and other stuff over to my D drive.

Thanks in advance!
smfcpa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote smfcpa Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 12:48pm
As a minimum why not run Disk Cleanup and Defrag which are located under Windows Administrative tools, assuming you are using windows and see what happens?
rbinsanity13 View Drop Down

Quote rbinsanity13 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 3:38pm
I have tried that multiple times!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 6:51am
Try downloading and/or running CCleaner (free version is fine). And see what the result is.

Windows will automatically perform necessary maintenance on your SSD, so you shouldn't have to intervene. In fact, it's not recommended.

Have a look at this article, and see if you need to do any of theses things:

https://www.pvladov.com/2012/10/free-up-disk-space-on-ssd-in-windows-7.html

Check your Windows drive under "Uninstall a Program" for any remaining programs you think you moved. If they are still in the list, they may have merely been copied over and not removed from your "C" drive.
MatthewF View Drop Down

Quote MatthewF Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 2:30pm
The simplest way to move the files from C to D is just to selectively drag and drop, IMO.

I would be concerned about what is taking up so much space on your C drive. At my workplace, we had an issue for a while where the Temp folder was eating up gigabytes of disk space and needed to be cleaned up. A lot of those temp files were upgrade downloads that were no longer needed. This happened on multiple machines, and these files are often hidden and not obvious. So make sure you set your folder view options to "show hidden files and folders".

Have you tried using any of the apps that show a breakdown of folder size? They can make it really easy to see where your disk space is going. I've used the app "Treesize" before with success, but I know there's a bunch of others too. Just look around.

Good luck! I've been where you are before, and it's frustrating, I know.

Edited by MatthewF - 24 Apr 2020 at 2:34pm
 Post Reply Post Reply