FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Multi-GPU ?

Post Date: 2007-12-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MajorWyrenutz View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MajorWyrenutz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Multi-GPU ?
    Posted: 02 Dec 2007 at 5:31pm
I notice in the nvidia control panel, under Manage 3d settings/Global settings tab, that there's an option called "sli performance mode".  Mine was default set to "single gpu", even though i have dual 8800 ultras.  The other options are "force split frame rendering / force alternate frame rendering 1 and force alternate frame rendering 2"  If im set on "single gpu, are both my cards being used? Or should I set it to "force split frame rendering"?  i get a pop-up warning that I'm about to change default settings if I try to.

My question is : what setting here will i get the best graphic quality on?

or should I just leave it on default settings?

thanks!

ps.  this ds system kicks some serious a$$!!!!!!!

Big%20smile
Solo View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Solo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Dec 2007 at 7:54pm
My uninformed opinion would be to try it out and make sure you have a restore point :)

I Don't see how it could cause much if any harm in trying it out.. but you may want to see if a more computer savy person replies
Crulend View Drop Down

Quote Crulend Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Dec 2007 at 1:03am
Most games have an Nvidia profile which controls this option, so any changes you make to the global profile will not be applied.  However, you can go into a game's profile and edit it, however I wouldn't recommend it.  The only time you should edit a game's profile is if there isn't an existing one (e.g. a new game and Nvidia hasn't released a driver yet), in which case you would create a profile for the exec and then test the different modes.  Most games will perform well with the AFR2 setting. 

I suppose another reason for accessing the game's profile is if you notice erratic framerates.  Setting the SLI mode to "Single GPU" should help.  Note that this is why the default global is "Single GPU"; new games without profiles shouldn't have scaling issues since it's just using one card.
1KW Thermaltake
C2D QX6800 @ 3.46 Ghz
4 GB Corsair DMTR @ 1066
2x8800 GTX in SLI
2x150 Raptors in RAID0
2x500 Caviars in RAID0
Creative XtremeGamer
Samsung 305T 30" LCD
Creative S750 7.1 700W
 Post Reply Post Reply