FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Multi-Monitor Build Requested

Post Date: 2020-11-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
POW! View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote POW! Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Multi-Monitor Build Requested
    Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 9:34am
Budget:
$1,000-$5,000. Why the extreme range? Honestly, I don't need the best performance, the newest stuff, etc. I have plenty of money to get something that is higher end, reliable, stable, upgradable, etc. I just don't want to throw a bunch of money in for 2 FPS or 4 seconds reduced loading time. Hopefully all that makes sense.

Expectations:
Can play any current game at high settings (not highest). Primary monitor would be 2560x1440. I'd also like to be able to support three other monitors so I can keep an eye on other things (discord, other browsers, twitch, youtube, etc). So, game takes up one full monitor, others are either blank or have random stuff going on.

Usage:
Primarily gaming (all types, genres, newer, older, etc). I would also like to be able to stream / record while gaming with no impact to performance.

Special Needs:
Run four monitors. OH, SSDs. I like them. I also don't like uninstalling games every other day. So a couple large, quality SSDs are something I'd spend extra for.

Saved Ticket #: Need professional help here :).

Specifications:
This is where the really smart and helpful forum folks come in.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 1:04pm
Well, you are right on the cusp of some really significant hardware changes. The AMD Ryzen 5000 series CPUs are just in, and they pair up very well with the latest GPUs that will come out on the 18th. The CPU and a 6800XT GPU which I might recommend for you synergise with each other to produce more than the sum of the parts.

Since there is not much of a wait, it's less holding on for the latest and greatest than it is assuring you have the gear that will keep you going at a high level the longest. These parts are not all that much pricier than what is available today, and are very competitive with the Intel/Nvidia set-ups.

Some are opposed to AMD; some simply must have Nvidia. I think we could use a little direction so we don't just spin our wheels. Maybe you'd like to look into the Ryzen 5000s and the 6800XT to decide. AMD has overtaken Intel if you are not aware, and their GPUs are getting good reviews.

So, AMD or Intel?
POW! View Drop Down

Quote POW! Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 11:31am
I'm not in a hurry and I'm not emotionally attached to either company. Reliability, stability, compatibility and performance are definitely more important to me than a brand name.

I'll wait until those are available I guess and see what you guys recommend at that point?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 3:10pm
Okay. I don't expect a great deal of price difference between the two. We shall see!
POW! View Drop Down

Quote POW! Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 3:06pm
When should I check back?
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 4:17pm
The AMD RX 6800 and 6800XT are available NOW at DS! The RX 6900XT comes out Dec. 8th. The 6800XT compares favorably with the 3080 for 1080 and 1440 resolutions, and it's a little cheaper. 4k resolutions or if you want Ray Tracing, then chose the 3080.
Old Gamers Never Die!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 5:11am
The implication that the Radeon 6800XT doesn't do raytracing or 4K well is just wrong. There are subtle differences you would never notice with ray tracing between the two, but they are equal when it comes to performing at 4K, averaging 59fps.

The important fact for me is the pairing synergy between the Ryzen 9 5000 series CPUs and the Radeon 6000 series GPUs. The memory throughput is vastly enhanced by such pairing. The result is that the 6800XT and the 3080 are neck and neck for frame rates at all resolutions. The AMD platform is PCIe 4th Generation, and the Intel is Gen 3. The benefit from having an AMD CPU and an AMD GPU on a Gen 4 motherboard is clearly stronger than Intel, in IMO.

The Ryzen 5900X is now the best gaming proc here, for now.
POW! View Drop Down

Quote POW! Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 1:30pm
Thanks! Can you design a build based on my post using AMD stuff?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 2:51am
Here's an idea:

I left off the RGB fans. A lot of people like them. You can, of course, pick any case you want.

You would do better to shop for more SSD storage online when needed. You should definitely partition your Firecuda if you get the big one, so the C: drive is compact with just Windows, browser(s) maintenance software like Malwarebytes, etc. The idea is to have a primary drive you can scan in seconds, boots in seconds, gets cloned in seconds, and won't need very many re-installs of apps if you ever have to fresh-install Windows.

This rig will do all you want very well, for certain. It comes in at $3469 after discount.

I just saw the Samsung 980 Pro NVMe has been added here. Get that one instead of the Firecuda, IMO. It's PCIe Gen 4 also, but faster.

Edited by Cretae - 21 Nov 2020 at 3:08am
POW! View Drop Down

Quote POW! Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 4:36am
Awesome thanks. Copy on changing the SSD out.

I'm assuming this runs plenty cool / good airflow.

Is the stock DS ram good? My first DS computer the config pro recommended different ram. My second DS computer I just bought the stock one and had to get RAM swapped out within a week of delivery. I still love DS, just want to make sure i'm making the right reliability decisions.

One thing I forgot to bring up, USB connectors. If I have a headset, mouse, keyboard, microphone, camera...is there still room for a VR set up (ie...3-4 spare slots?)? Not sure this is something to build around, or just swap stuff in and out.

I'll probably order this week, so would like to get the final details into a config I can provide the DS team.

Thanks for all the help Cretae

Edited by POW! - 25 Nov 2020 at 4:38am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 6:06am
You're very welcome.

Lumos has great thermals/airflow.

RAM is a commodity. Just a handful of manufacturers that some other companies put their look and brand on. You are actually the first person I have seen on these Forums that ever reported DS RAM failed. Not confirmed recently, DS RAM was known to come from Adata, which is as good as any, IMHO. The Corsair Vengeance is RGB, and only like $40 more, I think.

AFIK, you have plenty of power to use a USB hub if you need one. Board I suggested says it has total 5 3.2 USBs, and 6 USB 2.0. I have never actually seen all those many accessible at once. For instance, most cases have like two or three slots in front. But it means to me that USB hubs are well supported.

Word is they are planning "something special" for Blk Friday, so it wouldn't hurt to see what. Might be out today, even.
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by POW!

One thing I forgot to bring up, USB connectors. If I have a headset, mouse, keyboard, microphone, camera...is there still room for a VR set up (ie...3-4 spare slots?)? Not sure this is something to build around, or just swap stuff in and out.

Just get a powered USB hub if you need more connections. That is what I use for all my flight sim hardware.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 3:51am
POW! View Drop Down

Quote POW! Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 3:32pm
So, still in stage one (ordered/paid on 27 November). Both the processor and graphics cards are in a huge shortage. Alex (DS Customer Service lead) said that switching to intel/nvidia would speed things up. Right now, they are not getting good communications from AMD on when they will get more.

So, my question, is there any reason not to switch to Intel/Nvidia? How would you adjust my config / build based on a shift?

I don't want to wait another 90 days for the computer if the difference isn't going to be amazing.

Appreciate thoughts, advice and an updated build if that's necessary.

Thanks ahead of time!

Edited by POW! - 29 Dec 2020 at 3:33pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 4:52am
The AMD build is the PCIe Generation 4 platform. Intel is stuck on Gen 3 until at least March. My opinion is there is not a major performance hit between the two, but I would not want to spend my dollars on older tech.

The GPUs are all GEN 4 and so are the Firecudas and now the Samsung 980. All the parts you may upgrade to in future will be Gen 4, and will take a performance hit on the old tech. You will only know what you have, and you may never know the difference. I can't quite get behind the obsolete platform.

3687153     $3263 after discount.   I kept it close to the same parts I recommended before, but you never posted what you ordered.

They did receive a substantial shipment of 3080s a short while ago, but there were so many waiting for that, they must have blown through them. You will most likely be waiting for one of those. No point in getting a Gen 4 NVMe drive.
POW! View Drop Down

Quote POW! Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 11:42am
Fair. I'll just wait. Appreciate the response, the recommendation and the alternate solution. I'll do the patience thing.

This is the build I ended up going with

- Digital Storm Desktop - Config ID 3579492 (Config # 3579492)
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 4:15am
I hope you didn't act quite yet. Apparently the discounts are off going forward. That is a killer rig you designed.

It wouldn't hurt you at all to try to swap in a 5800X, which don't seem to be in as short supply as the 5900Xs. You would never be able to tell. You could also ask about the availability of 3080s now over the 6800XT. I'd hate to see you lose your discount on such a fine machine.

just sayin'.
POW! View Drop Down

Quote POW! Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 6:16am
Nothing to act on right now, I did the purchase back in November.

I'm going to do the patience thing, parts will arrive at some point. Waiting is annoying, but it isn't actually a problem :).
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 11:00am
Oh, I get it. I misunderstood, and thought you were going to cancel your great build and wait for the Intel update in March/April.

I think your patience will pay off with what you've ordered.
 Post Reply Post Reply