FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Multiple concerns for your consideration

Post Date: 2010-04-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CRJOSU View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote CRJOSU Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Multiple concerns for your consideration
    Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 12:26pm

Ok, so I have decided it is time for a new computer.  And it looks like Digital Storm is where I have settled as my preferred choice.  However I am attempting to balance a number of issues and I am going to defer to the expertise of the forum to point me in the right direction.  So here are my issues/concerns:

1.  I currently have a pretty good computer (at least the components are pretty good) but from the day I put this thing together I have been fighting stability issues.  If the forum wants I can load my current system specs for comparison as I am not interested in stepping down my machine performance.  So I am really looking for something stable and perhaps the newest (read: untested) components are not a necessity.  The reason this is, is because:

2.  I am moving to Japan in the very near future and don't want to have any issues for the next three years until my family and I are back in the US.  Currently I am not playing the benchmark type games (crysis, modern warfare) just some Eve Online, Total War stuff.  But I do want something that I could upgrade in the future to stay current with the progress of the market and adding a video card or two and dumping in some new RAM is well within my abilities.  So with all that in mind->

3.  I don't think water cooling the whole unit is my best option because without getting to specific, I am being paid to move but the moving company doesn't have the best reputation all the time and to be honest I don't trust anyone with my stuff so it needs to be sturdy and light enough that some moving stooge won't just assume it is a light weight computer and end up dropping it.  Also there are some restrictions on shipping liquids but the self contained units would probably be ok.

4.  And just to top it all off I would like something kind of quiet.  This is only a request and is at the bottom for a reason; however since I have been putting systems together I have always defaulted to big fans that make lots of noise (probably unnecessarily since I am not a big over clocker, I think I just have a computer heat phobia).

So with all that in mind this is what I came up with:  Please let me know what you think or if there is a better direction which I overlooked.  I have had my machine for about 2.5 years and have been out of the market for the most part aside from some PC Gamer reviews so any help is appreciated.

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master CM Storm Sniper
Exterior Finish: - Not Available
Trim Accents: - Not Available
Processor: Intel Core i7 960 3.2GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 LE Edition SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Certified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Highly Recommended)
Expansion Bay: - Not Available
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Set 1 Raid Options: - Not Available
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1.5TB Seagate Barracuda (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 22x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x ATI Radeon HD 5970 2GB
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Asetek Liquid CPU Cooler (240mm Radiator) (High-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Available
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With Zalman Performance Fans (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: Touch V12XT Aerocool Temperature Display & Fan Controller (Requires Chassis Airflow Upgrade)
Chassis Mods: - Not Available
Noise Reduction: - Not Available
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Requires Air Cooling Upgrade)
Boost Video Card: - Not Available
Boost Memory: - Not Available
Boost OS: - Not Available
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - Not Available
Office: - Not Available
Benchmarking: - Not Available
Install/Test Game: - Not Available
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty

Feel free to nit-pick anything/everything since it will help me evaluate my own decisions.  I appreciate any assistance you all are willing to provide.  Also, I require no peripherals, and I am using a LG W2340 monitor.

Not bad for a first post.  Thumbs%20Down
BHH.Husker View Drop Down

Quote BHH.Husker Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 1:59pm
I'm not so good at critiquing builds, but I would strongly suggest upgrading to a 4- or 5-year warranty if you are moving out of the country.  You will want to be well-covered, as moving can take a serious toll on a computer when in improper hands.
satsunada View Drop Down

Quote satsunada Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 3:38pm
Hmm.. Japan. Alex or Justin or DST, would he need an adapter or anything to do that? I know you have to be wary of unicode languages for software but i'm more referrring to power outlets or power output/input like you kinda have to worry about when you go to Europe.

That said,

1. I wouldn't aim for the Asetek. THey may have gotten better but there are fan options that may be just as cool if not cooler and run quieter. Also, you may want to look at actual LC because it's sturdier than you think.

2. No need for the temp sensor. There's software that can do that for you if you really need it, DST can likely help with that.

3. Why a 960? Just curious. The OC options are pretty good here for weaker units and the i7's OC pretty well. Stick with a 920 if you have budget issues and it'll save to help get real LC :)

Final regular questions:
What are you primarily using this computer for?
What's the budget?
What resolution monitor are you working with?

Edited by satsunada - 19 Apr 2010 at 3:44pm
If knowledge is power and power corrupts, then total knowledge corrupts totally.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 5:10pm
Ok we got a bit of a problem, you want a quiet system, which means LC but you don't want LC, on top of that to get a quiet LC, we would have to ask DS to order you some customize parts which will raise the price.

so if you want quiet we need to talk custom LC system.

now keep in mind that 90% of your noise will come from your gpu's fans when the gpu is under load, gpu get hot, fans raise to 100% to compensate for amount of heat, and those little fans are loud when at full speed.

in your case you chose upgraded fans which are loud themselves and for you that will be second source of noise.

Asetek is not a real LC system and Noctua D14 would provide better performance. I'm gonna change things like that around and anything else you see changed, is because it was pointless.

for your res a 5970 is pontless and also its a bad idea. better choice is 1 x 5870 or 1 x 480 and then down the road you can decide if its a better idea to add another 480/5870 or at that time one new gpu might be all that you need, kind of like a person with a 260 gtx, would be better off with a 480 then adding another 260.

if you don't need a bluray player then don't get one, there is talk of a new format that does much better however current bluray players can't read it.

Nvidia system:

Here you go Ticket# 400707 --- Price: $3680 (To see this build click here) Price after current promotion $3680

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master HAF 932
Processor: Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 LE Edition SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (256GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: CMFSSD-256GBG2D)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Seagate/Hitachi/Western Digital (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x CrossFire Dual (ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB)
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 Extreme Performance (Does NOT fit on the regular EVGA X58 3X SLI)
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)
Enhancements: - Not Available
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Requires Air Cooling Upgrade)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Install/Test Game: FREE: Please include a free copy of a hot-selling game
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Medium)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed

---------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------

Ati system:

Here you go Ticket# 400708 --- Price: $3936 (To see this build click here) Price after current promotion $3936

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master HAF 932
Processor: Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz (Quad Core)
Power Supply: 1250W Enermax Galaxy EVO (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Recommended)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (256GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: CMFSSD-256GBG2D)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Seagate/Hitachi/Western Digital (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 Extreme Performance (Does NOT fit on the regular EVGA X58 3X SLI)
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)
Enhancements: - Not Available
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Install/Test Game: FREE: Please include a free copy of a hot-selling game
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Medium)

now if the price on either of the builds are high, we can drop the ssd and just go with one 1TB HDD for HDD1 and then down the road upgrade to a ssd for HDD1 and push the 1TB to HDD2 for storage.

if you can go with 5 year warranty and I'm sure you already know the power adapters you need.

Edited by DST4ME - 19 Apr 2010 at 5:13pm
CRJOSU View Drop Down

Quote CRJOSU Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 8:32pm

Alright, lots of good info.  For everyone who has replied thanks for your help. 

Husker

-I will check out that warranty but our move will be within 2-3 months and when I return in about three years I will most likely be looking at another upgrade.

Satsunada

-From what I understand I will not need power converters or special hookups.  My power/internet/cable will be provided by the installation.

1.  Great info on the Asetek.  DST4ME made the LC conundrum I am facing pretty obvious.  If I have fans I have noise but if I have LC then I have liquid.  I will have to check the systems and see what kind of maintenance is required and that may determine the direction I head.

2.  Read you loud and clear.  I put that in there mostly cause I liked the look and like being able to look at the computer's status while gaming.

3.  I just picked the biggest CPU, figuring it would last the longest before needing to be replaced.  That is my future proofing thought process. 

Other than that:  Gaming will be the primary computer use along with very light office style apps and cd burning.  All I can say about budget is- Ehh.  I will have to check with the wife to "secure" the funds for this.  (Thankfully she is open-minded about my addiction)  My brand new monitor is a full 1080p monitor and is great so anything that can show off what it can do would be great. 

OK, DST4ME-  Thanks for the builds.

I am more than willing to accept some noise in exchange for performance but I had to ask.  I do need to investigate the LC options more since the builds you shot me are comparable to those in price anyways. 

I do not understand the 5970 comment since I was under the impression that, that card was doing well in most/all benchmark scores.  I thought that if I got that powerful card now I could forestall an upgrade in the near future (1-2 years) and still play any game I wanted at max settings.  Then double it when I started experiencing graphic issues with new programs. 

Great blu-ray info that I wish I would have had last week before we went out and bought our first family blu-ray player. 

Also I commend your directness->

"Asetek is not a real LC system and Noctua D14 would provide better performance. I'm gonna change things like that around and anything else you see changed, is because it was pointless."

Looks like I have some exploring to do.  Thanks again people, and if anything else comes up let me know.  I will repost with my planned course of action soon.

Damon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Damon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 8:44pm
Does he really need the second 5870 or 480 with the resolution he is playing??

He could probably save alot of $$ by just going with one card now (5870 or 480) and see if he has any performance issues.

I would be shocked if he did.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 1:35am
going with a 960 is no different then going with 930, there is no difference between the two, they are both the same chip with a different clock, when you oc them, then they perform exactly the same.

I didn't understand your comment toward the LC in your reply to my comment. the system I gave you have the prices they do because they have dual gpus, but if you try to LC them then you are looking at around $1200, and that is for the LC system that DS offers which is not quiet, to make it quiet we would have to order custom parts, raising the cost even higher, and if you are traveling overseas then LC is not the best Idea.

the Aerocool Temperature Display does not display the correct temps and can't control all the fans, so you are not getting any info on computer's state, and whatever info you are getting is not accurate.

the psu you have is not the biggest one, as you see from my builds there are bigger ones, but you only want a psu that allows you to go sli/cf with some head room, for cf 5870 thats is the corsair 1000w and for the 480 cli its the enermax 1250.

the 5970 is internal cf, it gets beat by 2 x 5870 or 2 x 480, also 2 x 5970 gets beat by 3 x 5870 or 3 x 480.

a 5970 will not allow you to max out all games, specially since each gpu has only 1GB ram to work with, so games like crysis and gta4 2 x 480 will do much better then 5970.

in one to two years there are gonna be much better cards out, and its better to go with one of those.

I suggest you choose one of my builds cause it will perform much better then the one you configed, if the price is too high, then let me know we can move things around.

@Damon, he plays games that need sli 480 to be playable at highest settings with high aa, like crysis.
 Post Reply Post Reply