FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Multitask Gaming...

Post Date: 2008-09-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Swinder6kz View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Swinder6kz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Multitask Gaming...
    Posted: 27 Sep 2008 at 6:25am
Apologies for the wall of text but I like to be thorough.

Ok, I've been looking into building a new PC for a few months now.  My budget is around 1800 give or take I will be using a 24" Samsung once I get my new PC (1920 x 1200 Resolution).  I've been playing nothing but WoW for the past 4 years which is why I'm still slugging by on a 2GHz single core AMD w/ a gig of ram and a 6600gt.  With this monster setup I am somehow able to dual box wow clients and run 2 accounts I want to be able to do this on my new PC.  But I don't want to drop the settings to nothing to do it. 

I have been told you can't expect long term upgrades in this day in age, but my best-buy store bought lasted me 5 years I'd like to pull at least 3 out of my new PC with minor upgrades.  I don't play extremely intense games, AoC was about the highest running game I've played.

Basically cut short I'm a hardcore raider in WoW I haven't been able to run max settings while raiding with a 40 fps in 3 years and I wanna change that.

This is what I have in mind:

Specifications:
Chassis: Digital Storm 950Si
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Interior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Power Supply: 750W Corsair HX (Dual SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz (1333MHz FSB) (12MB Cache)
Motherboard: NVIDIA 750i SLI Core 2 Quad (Chipset nForce 750i SLI)
System Memory: 4GB DDR2 800MHz OCZ
Card Reader: - No Thanks
Hard Drive 1: 500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Hard Drive 2: - No Thanks
Raid Option: - No Thanks
Hard Drive 3: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-ROM/CD-ROM (DVD Reader 16x / CD Reader 40x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Wireless Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 896MB (Includes PhysX Technology)
TV Tuner: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: Air Cooled Stage 2 (Silent Artic Cooling Heat-sink Upgrade (Copper Heatpipes)
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Modifications: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my processor
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Tweak Windows: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows
OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
LCD Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty

$1,806.00

I was also wondering how much overclocking I could expect with a 2.8 quad core to be done by Digital Storm on air cooling alone.  Also whats the main opinion on amd vs intel for cpu gaming use?  I know intel is a crazy beast for OCing and AMD is terrible at it, but they are both stable, and AMD is cheaper.  I chose the gtx 260 as my gpu though my friends tell me nvidia are price gouging mofos and a 4870 is way better bang for the buck.  But I've always had Nvidia and I heard ATI drivers suck with WoW.

AMD vs Intel, ATI vs Nvidia probably an endless discussion but I play MMOs primarily, enjoy lagless raids, and play in a window/mutitask lots.

Another thing I can lookup specs on the antec 900 and the other cases but dso doesn't really have any specifics for their cases other then full tower and 2 mid tower.  Doesn't say how many fans it supports what sizes they are etc etc.  I chose the 950si because it's full tower and looks to have decent air flow, but to be completely honest I have no idea.  May end up going with the antec, even though it's a midtower it's probably without a doubt the most used case for custom building.

Thanks.

Edited by Swinder6kz - 27 Sep 2008 at 7:37am
Kliebor2 View Drop Down

Quote Kliebor2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2008 at 7:17am
Well, if your intention is to kill WoW and play at maximum resolution at Max settings, this will do it and more, alot more.

You will actually be constrained only by the quality of your internet connection and the latency/distance of your path to your chosen server. This PC can handle anything WoW will throw it it easily.

For your budget you made some excellent choices though I think you should consider Vista Home Premium 64 bit, XP is on its way out and is already on secondary support from Microsoft. On Modern Hardware there is no reason not to go Vista, the rest of your choices are excellent.

The 260 is a top rate card, one of the best, you will not go wrong there, the ATI/nVidia battle is mainly a fanboy argument, they are both good, the 260 just kicks butt and takes names, it is a great choice. Intel vs AMD, there is no war right now, Intel is the victor and both sides know it. There is a new generation of processors on the way, but right now, there is a reason every PC spec posted on these boards is overwhelmingly Intel. They just slaughter the offerings from AMD.

On the overclock front, I would expect between 3.2 and 3.6 with 3.4 being most likely on air based on what I have seen online and in the forums here, but it will really depend on your chip the motherboard and the memory and how they all interact. There is no way to be sure.

On the case front, I love the 950Si, it is a great case, people have been raving about the HAF, you may want to consider that case as well. I would stay away from the 900 personally, it strikes me as not as nice.

DaveOuch

Edited by Kliebor2 - 27 Sep 2008 at 7:22am
Digital Storm 950Si - Q9450 Quad Core @ 3 Ghz
Dual PNY OC2 GTX 560Ti
8 Gigabytes DDR2/800
2 Western Digital 500 GB SATAII 7200 RPM HD
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2008 at 7:32am
The motherboard selected will not support a Q9550.

Quote Swinder6kz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2008 at 7:40am
Modified my post for 750i and also I meant to go with 64 bit vista but I must've missed it.

My friend has an OC'd 2.4 duo core running 2.9 with a Antec 900.  It has pretty good air flow for sure.  How many fans does the 950i support?

Responses thus far extremely appreciated, thanks guys.

Edited by Swinder6kz - 27 Sep 2008 at 7:41am
Kliebor2 View Drop Down

Quote Kliebor2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2008 at 8:10am
The 950Si which I have is actually a Silverstone TJ-09 a top tier enthusiast case.

(http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?pno=tj09&area=)

It comes with a fan in front of the case, toward the bottom and a rear fan, both 120 MM and a pair of fan ports in the top and one between the HD cages ready to accept 120MM fans.

With Stage II cooling, which I have, you just get the default 2 fans, but the CPU cooler you will get has a heat sink and active fan of its own as well.

My temps were pretty low, I added one more fan in one of the top bays (the one right over the CPU heat sink) and my temps dropped over 5 degrees for the cpu and the ambient in the case went down 3 degrees.

I am very happy with the 950Si case, the Antec 900 is not nearly as good.

If you want an alternate case that is a few less dollars but is still great, the new HAF case they have started carrying is very slick looking and is a great air cooler

DaveAngry

Edited by Kliebor2 - 27 Sep 2008 at 8:15am
Digital Storm 950Si - Q9450 Quad Core @ 3 Ghz
Dual PNY OC2 GTX 560Ti
8 Gigabytes DDR2/800
2 Western Digital 500 GB SATAII 7200 RPM HD

Quote Swinder6kz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2008 at 8:14am
Thanks for the reply, I've been watching some youtube vids and reviews and the HAF really does look solid.  Maybe I'll jump at liquid cooling when I go to order and hit the 950i or HAF with full fans.

I think this is the base system I want though.

Thanks for the replies.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2008 at 4:07pm
HAF is a better case the the 950 IMO, at stage 2 its actually stage 3.

the build TL has for your is a great one and will easily last you 3 years.

you can check out this special deal also http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsavedsd.asp?id=184743

Quote Swinder6kz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2008 at 4:20pm
I like that special deal one as well, not sure if I need the gtx 280 power for MMOs but it would probably last me a lot longer.

Whats the story on ram, I've never had more then 2 gigs and the word is in the open, my friends say 4 gigs is fine, others say it's so cheap 8 gigs is better.  OCZ seems to kick out decently cheap ram but at what cost.  Can you overclock it to be as good as some of the more expensive dominator etc?

Not to sounds like a complete noob but what exactly is the difference between 667MHz, 800MHz, and 1033MHz.  The difference between (Extreme Performance) and (High Performance) just sounds like something slapped on.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2008 at 4:37pm
well why not get a 280 if the price is the same, you can call DS and ask them for that deal but see if they will lower price and give you a 260gtx

4GB of ram will do everything you want, unless you are into heavy 3d grphic designing.

OCZ has been a solid ram here, where corsair has been crapping out.

667, 800 all of these are speed of your ram, best thing to do is to match the speed of your cpu's fsb to your ram speed.

Extreme Performance, High Performance, are ram sticks made for those who want to OC the heck our of their ram and want it to be able to handle better temps and have higher speeds.
 Post Reply Post Reply