Post Date: 2018-12-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: My 4th DS build - a Xmas Lumos running late
    Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 11:42pm
My son's 2011 DS Ode has been running flawlessly overclocked 24/7 for 7 yrs now, but it was time to build a new Xmas rig for him to depend on for the next 7 years. A Dev Disabled adult, he spends most of his time daily on his DS Ode rig gaming or socializing on a few animated sites. Getting a custom DS build means that your using higher quality branded components to assemble a rig that will have great bones to get top performance and dependability for many years.   We have updated it a few times with new video cards, currently with a nice 1080 TI ...or adding bigger drives...but the new single card Lumos build in progress will run a single 2080 card that should well exceed his needs in running his two Dell 24" IPS 1920 x 1200 monitors. His mother is looking forward to my making his 2011 Ode her new machine, and we expect to squeeze many more years of milder service from that rig before it's time to totally rebuild it.

After ordering this nice Lumos on Dec 2, and going to Stage 1 on Dec 3...progress kinda stopped on this Xmas Sale build we hoped to pick up just before Xmas. My previous experiences with 3 other DS builds, they had only taken a few days to a week between stage notifications, so I figured there might be a problem. DS Sales would only provide the company line when I asked...build time of 15-20 business days. I was aware they had recently relocated and it's the busy holiday season now.

As Alex of DS Management here on the Forums asks us to do before posting, I emailed DS Management ([email protected]) to see what was up. I got a prompt & apologetic call from the DS Customer Service Manager. She kindly explained that a slightly overwhelmed DS has sold far more systems in this Xmas sale than ever before, and it sounds like they are now working 7 days a week in production trying to keep up. She made inquiries with the Production Dept Manager to try to help move this along, and she got back to me within an hour, but unfortunately the news wasn't great and this Xmas Lumos build will not be ready until just after Xmas. Bummed my son won't have his long planned Xmas present on time, but we have 3 previous DS rigs still in service, so we will be patient while DS tries to meet their big Xmas production demand.   

I share this post for customers who may still be wondering about their own Xmas Sale build delays. Some things about building high performance computers just can't be rushed, and you will want your build fully checked out and stress tested properly before DS lets go of it. It could be late in finishing, but it will be an awesome rig and upgradable for years to come. Good things are worth waiting for.

System Configuration: #2125894

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7-9700K (4.9 GHz Turbo) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-H Gaming (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (RGB Light Bar)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000 (Fully Modular)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 960 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (3TB Seagate / Toshiba)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux LITE: Integrated Cooling System (CPU Only)
HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Red Fluid + Clear Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Red - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LL Series (RGB Fans) (Software Controlled Effects)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.7GHz on All CPU Cores
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks (not available) Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Edited by HockeyBuck - 19 Dec 2018 at 2:11pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 1:52am
Sorry to hear it won’t be under the tree on the 25th, but as also an ODE owner from 2011, it will be worth the wait.    My recent Lumos rig is awesome, looking great and running flawlessly.    

Keep smiling.   
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 6:13am
Last year, I ordered my new rig to replace a DS from 2010 on Cyber Mon... 27 Nov., I think. It shipped on Dec. 22 and then took 11 DAYS to get to Florida because of all the holidays in between!

It has been absolutely worth waiting for, and the number of us who have "ancient" DS rigs from the misty dawns are astounding. All the best.
ThePinkGoat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ThePinkGoat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 9:51am
I'm curious. What's the advantage to spending extra money on the 1000wt Corsair? You could run that 2080 with the 750. You might consider looking at the Corsair H100 AIO so you don't have to deal with "possible" leaks and such.

I have the ODE Lvl 3 and it's been running smooth for years. I'm also looking at a Lumos and I considered the Hydrolux Lite. I was warned that this application has been noted to have issues with some, but not all.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 10:40am
For those scrimping to fit a budget those would be places to shave price, but the 1000 w PSU is Platinum rated and will be more efficient and allow overhead to add a second video card or to use a more power demanding card in future.

The HydroLux Lite water system will be a step up from the Corsair closed loop he has had on his old Ode for years. He's always wanted that, so in his case it's the way to go to make this build a bit more interesting. This is a bedroom rig he will live with, so it's also a cool change of scenery.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Sorry to hear it won’t be under the tree on the 25th, but as also an ODE owner from 2011, it will be worth the wait.    My recent Lumos rig is awesome, looking great and running flawlessly.    

Keep smiling.   

Will do bpratt22...thanks. Pretty cool to have other veteran DS Ode users follow the same path to the Lumos sir!   My sons desk is glass, so that new Lumos should really look like it belongs there...lol. Maybe I'll have to get a case of Windex to put under the tree for him...going to be a bit more glass polishing for him to to do...lol

Edited by HockeyBuck - 19 Dec 2018 at 2:22pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 10:26am
Stage 2 notice today, but no projected completion date for this Lumos build. At least the parts in stock have a bin now...

Stage 3 notice arrived a short time later, so at least there are no part delays. On to the assembly bench! Says projected completion estimated date 9-14 business days....

Edited by HockeyBuck - 21 Dec 2018 at 10:51am
SnowandSand View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SnowandSand Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 11:43pm
Sorry to hear that man. Hope it gets to you guys soon, it looks like a pretty sick setup!
Hailstorm II(Retired)
R7 2700x
16GB Team Dark Pro @ 3200 CL14
Asus x470 CH VII Hero
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W PSU
250GB Samsung 850 EVO
1TB & 6TB WD - Black Edition
2x GTX 980TI Strix
Hydrolux Stage 3
Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 9:40am
I have a similar Lumos build on order (my third consecutive DS rig since 2010) and have had a very similar experience to yours regarding delays. The DS staff (Alex, Julie) have been responsive but for the sake of my mental equilibrium I decided to give up any thought of getting the thing before Christmas in the hope that, by not rushing the build as the result of pressure from me, DS will send out a rock-solid, properly stress-tested machine. I suspect my Lumos, whose progress through the stages has been very similar to yours and has been in Stage 3 for about 10 days now, will not show up until about ten days into the new year, roughly six weeks after I first submitted the order. As I mentioned, though, I have decided that too much chivvying of the good folk at DS might turn out to be either unproductive or counterproductive. Just my 10c. Let’s keep each other posted!

Edited by Bahger - 24 Dec 2018 at 10:18am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 11:17am
I completely understand, and I assure all of our customers that it will be worth the wait. The holidays, even just the first week of November, is when things become very, very busy for us ( all departments).

We have made a ton of hires to help catch up, and we've also moved into a larger facility. We're doing the best we can without rushing and cutting corners on the quality and support our customers expect from us.

Hang in there, it will be worth it. We're doing our very best to try to make this as easy as possible. Feel free to reach out to me directly at any time via email "[email protected]" with your order information.

Happy Holidays!
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by Bahger

I have a similar Lumos build on order (my third consecutive DS rig since 2010) and have had a very similar experience to yours regarding delays. The DS staff (Alex, Julie) have been responsive but for the sake of my mental equilibrium I decided to give up any thought of getting the thing before Christmas in the hope that, by not rushing the build as the result of pressure from me, DS will send out a rock-solid, properly stress-tested machine. I suspect my Lumos, whose progress through the stages has been very similar to yours and has been in Stage 3 for about 10 days now, will not show up until about ten days into the new year, roughly six weeks after I first submitted the order. As I mentioned, though, I have decided that too much chivvying of the good folk at DS might turn out to be either unproductive or counterproductive. Just my 10c. Let’s keep each other posted!

Thanks Bahger, I'll advise as we hear of our build progress. I'm not worried about the build quality at all. It will be another good DS rig. Happy holidays....!
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by Alex

I completely understand, and I assure all of our customers that it will be worth the wait. The holidays, even just the first week of November, is when things become very, very busy for us ( all departments).

We have made a ton of hires to help catch up, and we've also moved into a larger facility. We're doing the best we can without rushing and cutting corners on the quality and support our customers expect from us.

Hang in there, it will be worth it. We're doing our very best to try to make this as easy as possible. Feel free to reach out to me directly at any time via email "[email protected]" with your order information.

Happy Holidays!

Glad you saw this thread Alex. I know it will be another good DS build. Not worried at all about that, and you and Julie were both helpful... thank you both.

For most of us returning customers, you should note there's a reason we go many years between purchases....it's quite an investment each time we buy a new DS rig. I understand DS relocated ( third time since I have been a customer), and that your company became overwhelmed by the extremely good fortunes of a strong back to school and holiday sales season. The continued success of DS is important to me and to all of your veteran customers.

What I do see though is that DS allowed loyal customers to continue Nov and Dec buying and believing the build time estimates were on target for Xmas, when it's very clear they absolutely were not then...and still are not now on time.

Today I handed pieces of paper & photos of this Lumos build to a kid of mine in substitution of a very pricey Xmas gift that wasn't ready....for the first time in my life, and I'd hope never to have to do that ever again.    I expect many other DS customers from Nov & early Dec will have to do that too this Christmas, and DS management needs a reminder of the extra price some of us customers are paying this year for the company's 2018 holiday success.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 5:51am
Thank you for the feedback, I completely understand and agree. Now that we're in a larger facility, we'll be able to prepare for the holidays ahead of time. Our goal is to be able to ship customer systems within 10 business days (even during the holidays).
Nagooker View Drop Down

Quote Nagooker Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 11:49am
Any updates on the PC?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 1:16pm
Nope...nothing yet. Stage 3 since 21 Dec.
Nagooker View Drop Down

Quote Nagooker Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 7:16am
Originally posted by HockeyBuck

Nope...nothing yet. Stage 3 since 21 Dec.

I went from stage 2 to 4 last night.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 11:16am
Hey that’s great...!
Nagooker View Drop Down

Quote Nagooker Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 10:54am
Checking in on your rig... any progress?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 11:02am
Nope...silence.... I haven’t bugged DS as they are probably working CES this week anyway...but I’m hoping to see some measurable progress soon. Thanks for asking...
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 4:23pm
   Many thanks to Alex for helping get this build moving again...!
.....Stage 4 notice just hit!   My son & I might have a new Lumos rig to pick up at DS next week sometime if all goes as planned!    
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 1:52am
Couldn't be happier for you. TY for all your recent contributions, HockeyBuck. Grace us with a review if you would.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 4:23am
Excellent news. AND you will avoid shipping! AwesomeWhat a nice trip.
Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 11:18am
You will love the Lumos and find it worth waiting for. I am constantly entertained be the light show inside the case; the whole left side (as you look at it from the front) is glass and the effect is spectacular.

Look out for two things:

- On mine the string of pin-lights around the border of the "window" got detatched in transit along the bottom edge. It's easy to open up the side and press them back into their groove but best done before you hook it up.

- Make sure you put the Lumos somewhere you can reach the awkwardly-placed on/off switch on the top. My case is in a recess under my built-in desk and I still have to access both the switch and the two adjacent USB ports by feel.

I think that's it for the moment; keep us posted!

Edited by Bahger - 12 Jan 2019 at 11:19am
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 1:10pm
Enjoy your trip to Morgan Hill and say "hi" to the guys in the back. We'll be waiting for lots of pictures anyway, so might as well snap a few of the new building if you can.   
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 2:30pm
Stage 5 Stress Testing notice today....we be rolling now...lol!
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Bahger

You will love the Lumos and find it worth waiting for. I am constantly entertained be the light show inside the case; the whole left side (as you look at it from the front) is glass and the effect is spectacular.

Look out for two things:

- On mine the string of pin-lights around the border of the "window" got detatched in transit along the bottom edge. It's easy to open up the side and press them back into their groove but best done before you hook it up.

- Make sure you put the Lumos somewhere you can reach the awkwardly-placed on/off switch on the top. My case is in a recess under my built-in desk and I still have to access both the switch and the two adjacent USB ports by feel.

I think that's it for the moment; keep us posted!

Thanks Bahger! The Lumos will replace my sons Xmas 2011 ODE, and that is perched on a desktop riser shelf so the side panel is visible above & behind his 2 Dell 24” IPS monitors.   The Lumos has a similar footprint but that all glass and light show should be great there, and he has to stand and reach to hit his power button now so he won’t mind reaching for back top power button on the new rig... Will watch out for those led case light strings coming loose...happens with the string I put in the Ode case too...wimpy adhesives...lol
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Snaike

Enjoy your trip to Morgan Hill and say "hi" to the guys in the back. We'll be waiting for lots of pictures anyway, so might as well snap a few of the new building if you can.   

I have also picked up my previous 3 builds at DS when they were in their old FREMONT locations. Funny that it always feels a bit awkward, as prob 97% of their rigs are shipped. Vendors they do see in person on occasion, but very few actual customers. They never seem to know quite what to do with real live local DS customers...lol..., but they once had an excellent final QC man named Chen back then that signed off every single DS rig that they produced up to about 2014, and he usually rolled the customers rig out to the lobby on a cart and did some pointing out of a few things or features or test numbers he wanted customers to know about this particular build...before taking it back for boxing and then providing assistance safely loading it around back. You could tell back then that the QC guys were proud of the work, but rarely got to do some show & tell about stuff they believed was important or cool about the rig they built and tested. We will see how they are doing it now down in Morgan Hill, and I will report back on that experience...always interesting.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by Cretae

Couldn't be happier for you. TY for all your recent contributions, HockeyBuck. Grace us with a review if you would.

Will do sir...
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by hoserator

Excellent news. AND you will avoid shipping! AwesomeWhat a nice trip.

Yes avoiding the bounces of shipping is the most important part ...!
Even being moved by me in those enormous DS boxes, new rigs usually take a little while to settle down in their new home as it is. Ya have to make sure nothing loosened up in transit before you launch...pays to be very cautious before power up.
Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by HockeyBuck

Originally posted by Snaike

I have also picked up my previous 3 builds at DS when they were in their old FREMONT locations. Funny that it always feels a bit awkward, as prob 97% of their rigs are shipped. Vendors they do see in person on occasion, but very few actual customers. They never seem to know quite what to do with real live local DS customers...lol..., but they once had an excellent final QC man named Chen back then that signed off every single DS rig that they produced up to about 2014, and he usually rolled the customers rig out to the lobby on a cart and did some pointing out of a few things or features or test numbers he wanted customers to know about this particular build...before taking it back for boxing and then providing assistance safely loading it around back. You could tell back then that the QC guys were proud of the work, but rarely got to do some show & tell about stuff they believed was important or cool about the rig they built and tested. We will see how they are doing it now down in Morgan Hill, and I will report back on that experience...always interesting.

Ha, yeah they are close to where my daughter is in college at UC Santa Cruz so I have often thought about stopping by. For years I was misled by the page on their web site titled "Facility Tour" when all that means is an online "tour". I suppose it's to our benefit as clients that they maintain a dust- and distraction-free environment.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ThePinkGoat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 8:09am
Screen shot of your new Lumos please =)
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by ThePinkGoat

Screen shot of your new Lumos please =)
Will do!
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ThePinkGoat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 5:19am
Hows the Lumos Hockey? Show them pictures =)
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 12:01pm
   Still stress testing....but my boy is getting excited now...
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 3:21am
Sounds like Stage 8! LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>