FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My beastly review =)

Post Date: 2009-02-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kaoberry View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kaoberry Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: My beastly review =)
    Posted: 24 Feb 2009 at 10:49pm
Hello again!

So, I finally found the time and energy to post my review with pictures and stats, so here I am! I decided to make a new thread, as my old one was kind of ambushed haha!

And without further delay, here is my short story!!

To give you a brief summary of how I got here... it all started when I decided to purchase another computer in Fall 2008. In the beginning I was set on just purchasing a factory made computer from one of the crap companies (Dell, Alienware, HP etc.) for my own personal reasons. But through research and reviews, I found that these computers, were deceiving! They looked pretty on the outside and that's about it. And through many reviews, I found that the support that came with the crap systems was even worse XD.
 So, I then started my search online for a computer company who specialized in customized gaming computers. At first I was only able to come across sketchy sites, offering empty promises... until I stumbled upon an add in one of the sites.  The name "Digital Storm" intrigued me for sure... and I decided to take a gander, there was no harm in doing so. And damn, was I ever in for a surpise!
 So first off, the site itself blew me away. Until then, I didn't come across one professional looking site. None looked as sleek, organized, and well put together as this one. The configuration page was very easy to use, as opposed to the ones on other sites that looked like they were hit by a tornado *grins*. Also, the forums was a wonderful resource and another reason towards why I went with this company. In addition to all of the positive reviews, the outstanding support, the community is wonderful, very helpful and pleasant to be around! The last thing I looked for, which put the chocolate sprinkles on the cake was the A+ "BBB" stamp of approval, and I made my decision!

Now onto the hard facts!!

Ordered: January 10th, 2009
Upgraded my order: January 19th, 2009
Shipped: February 4th, 2009
Fun visit to customs: February 11th, 2009
Left customs broke: February 16th, 2009
Arrived to her new home: February 19th. 2009

Given that I changed the order and customs took their sweet time molesting my computer, I'd say that's not too shabby!

So my final order turned out to be this:
Case: HAF 932
Processor: Intel core i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.79Ghz
Motherboard: EVGA X58 3X SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports Triple SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory:
6GB 1600MHz OCZ
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Card Reader: - Internal
digital media card reader
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x) (LightScribe Edition)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 1.792GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Cooler Master V8 (Compatible With i7 Processors)
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)
Boost Processor: Yes, Overclock the processor as much as possible with complete stability
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit Edition) (For Enthusiasts)
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty 
Here are some pictures of the beast and some bragging stats ^^... Drum roll please!!

Bragging rights (btw, this is just idle computer for a few hours, I haven't had a chance to test a game on it yet):

Whee it's here!!:

Me next to the massive box with my kitty Moses:

Hmm... Kaoberry + Knife = Chaos...

HAF 932 view 1:

HAF 932 view 2:

HAF 932 view 3:

HAF 932 view 4:

Nom nom nom pretty!:

More prettyness!!:

So this is my desktop setup... I tore off the shelf of this desk to make the monitor fit rather then get a new one right now *grins*... and I take the machine out of that TINY hole to let it breath, I was just making it look neat for the picture lol...

For interest sake. here's my logitech illuminated keyboard!:

All in all, I'm very satisfied with my purchase! I'd like to give out a huge thank you to everyone who was apart of my journey, namely Sarah and the DS community. Sarah, the poor girl, she was my main gal throughout the process since I made the upgrades to my machine. I don't know how many times I've called her but she's been phenomenal and DS is very lucky to have her as apart of the team. You have all made my experience with DS exceptional and I thank you for being patient, understanding and most of all, extremely helpful!!

I have yet to fully enjoy my computer as I've been busy with miscellaneous things but I have a list of games to get, along with a new, comfortable chair to play those games in! Haha!

<33333

Edited by Kaoberry - 24 Feb 2009 at 10:56pm
Mezzeron View Drop Down

Quote Mezzeron Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2009 at 11:08pm
VERY nice system!  Awesome OC, better than most ive seen.  You gonna be lovin that system!  I'm jealous of the GTX 295 already Confused
Either you are a small person, or that was one gigantimous box!  Either way, hope you have a blast destroying all those games!
theyhm View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote theyhm Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2009 at 11:23pm
Nice moose. Computer isn't bad either. Clown
Samael View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Samael Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2009 at 11:35pm
that is awesome!!Ouch(if you watched Bolt think of me as the Hamster saying awesome, now if you havent watched Bolt, what are you doing looking at this go watch Bolt now) I cant wait to get mine it should be here in 2 weeks or so.

Other than that, since I am also in Canada as you are, I was just wondering one thing, how badly did customs harass you, I am broke after ordering this, and customs will make me give them my pennies as well, I hope this computer produces quality food one of these days, cause from now on it seems its raymen for me Wink
Why do they blame me for all their little failings? They use my name as if I spent my entire day sitting on their shoulders, forcing them to commit acts they would otherwise find repulsive - Lucifer
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2009 at 1:40am
your PC can't breath from the sides and I think if you put it under load you gonna see some high temps.

other then that, color me jealous
Kaoberry View Drop Down

Quote Kaoberry Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2009 at 8:27am
@Mezzeron: Haha a little bit of both XD...

@Theyhm: Thank you =)... his name is Chocolate! Mmmm!!

@Samael: Hahaha yes, yes I did watch that! It was AWESOME! And as far as customs went, they robbed me =P. If you're still able to, I would choose air shipping, apparently you can avoid those bastards through it! Because I got dinged 13% of my total cost... which is ouch =P...

@DST4ME: As mentioned above the photo "... and I take the machine out of that TINY hole to let it breath, I was just making it look neat for the picture lol..." *grins*. I know the hole doesn't let it breath, so I have it out =), don't worry hehehe!

@Harleyman: *points above* ^^

Thanks guys!!
BillDempsey View Drop Down

Quote BillDempsey Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2009 at 10:05am
Great review! Congratulations!
Samael View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Samael Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2009 at 12:01pm
Thanks Kaoberry, at last someone who understands the meaning of AWESOME!! Ouchwhen I say it haha, I loved that movie, its been a while since Disney made me like a movie, the last one I can think of was Lion King.

Anyways well most likely it will be flown in that gives me hope, I would hate to give them all my pennies as well Wink
Why do they blame me for all their little failings? They use my name as if I spent my entire day sitting on their shoulders, forcing them to commit acts they would otherwise find repulsive - Lucifer
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2009 at 3:38pm
why don't you cut a little window out in the inside wall of that desk where the big fan sits? or drill a bunch of wholes.

sorry I missed your post about you leaving it out
tman5890 View Drop Down

Quote tman5890 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2009 at 4:42pm
...After seeing DSO's pro wiring I can never look at another computers insides the same way again...Nice computer and nice review.
Sodius View Drop Down

Quote Sodius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2009 at 5:54pm
On one of my wood cases I cut a hole on both sides the size of the large fan that the HAF has. Breathing is very important for that monster. I love that red. Your review is great and I hope you get many years of flawless gaming. Nice setup.
In my review one of the pix shows a hole in the side for my daughter. I enlarged
that hole to twice that size on both sides.Ermm

Edited by Sodius - 25 Feb 2009 at 5:58pm
<8) slunK parade View Drop Down

Quote <8) slunK parade Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2009 at 6:21pm
i want your cat
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2009 at 6:54pm
Wow, 3.79 Ghz on the V8 and air.  I think this is one of the highest stable OCs on air that I have seen.  Great pictures and an excellent review.  I am extremely happy with my 3.59 Ghz on my V8 also.

Nice to see these great reviews pouring in recently.  It was the reviews and pictures that got me to lay my money down for my dream machine a couple weeks ago.
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
scaner View Drop Down

Quote scaner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2009 at 8:20pm
nice pic,nice rig,nice review,,,,,BEST DS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ermm
GTO - Cooler Master HAF 932 Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz/oc 3.4 (1333MHz FSB)
(12MB Cache)
NVIDIA 780i Core 2 Quad Chipset: nForce 780i SLI Vista64/Samsung 2233BW

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 1GB
Valross View Drop Down

Quote Valross Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2009 at 2:44am
Very very nice rig, but I'm confused about something...in your CPUID screenshot it first shows your CPU at a temp of 39, but lower down where all the cores are broken down they are all around 55. Why the difference?
Kaoberry View Drop Down

Quote Kaoberry Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2009 at 8:32am
@Bill: Thank you ^^

@Samael: Haha, of course! I'm Canadian too, remember? We rock *grins*. And yea, Disney has been total slack... too much attention towards the crazy singers like The Jonas Brother's haha... booooooo!!!! But yes, shipping by air should hopefully avoid those bastards at customs! Let me know how it goes!!

@DST4ME: No worries ^^. Yea, I was thinking about making a square where the fan would blow out haha... I may as well, where I've already torn the shelf off my desk to fit my monitor *whistles*.

@Sodius: Thanks! Haha yea, as mentioned above, I may just do that! It needs good air flow to keep the air coming out of this machine cold! I would just need to find someone to do it because I do not trust myself doing that. Before I know it I would be left with no limbs... *grins*

@Tm5890: They did an amazing job with the wiring. Coming from someone who is on edge to being a crazy OCD organizing lady, I give it my stamp of approval haha!

@Slunk parade: Ha! I don't know if you want him... he's such a prick with a bad attitude. He's handsome and he knows it XD.

@Onkel_ken: Yea for sure!!! It's a kick as OC, I'm very happy with it, and everything has been going very well with it thus far ^^. The i7 920's rock but DS rocks even more =).

@Scanner: W00t! Thank you!

@Valross: Thanks! I wish I could answer your question buddy but I really wouldn't know what to tell you =P. I'm kind of curious about the answer myself actually =P.

Edited by Kaoberry - 26 Feb 2009 at 8:33am
yungerkid View Drop Down

Quote yungerkid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2009 at 10:37am
So first off, the site itself blew me away. Until then, I didn't come across one professional looking site. None looked as sleek, organized, and well put together as this one. The configuration page was very easy to use, as opposed to the ones on other sites that looked like they were hit by a tornado *grins*.

in total agreement here. if it hadn't been for the site, i would have passed DS up as just another of the many companies i looked through. it's a very well-constructed site.
LDLD View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote LDLD Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2009 at 11:28am
The forum makes it better too. I'm glad I found this site.
slgilley View Drop Down

Quote slgilley Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2009 at 11:41am
Wow.

I've seen so many people say they don't like the look of the HAF cases, but I sure do.

It's great that you took the pics of the lighting -- I get to see what mines kinda going to look like.  Same case, same lighting, but I couldn't afford the i7 processor. :-(

And I could use a little OCD in my life...  I see all these pictures of these neat desks, and mine is covered with junk.  I can almost guarentee you won't see my desk in my review.

Have fun with your system!

Sean.

Quote BillDempsey Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2009 at 12:03pm
The core temp sensors are the ones that trigger the internal circuitry to either slow down or shut down the CPU when it is overheating. There is one in every core. They are the ones to really be worried about most. In contrast, the CPU temp sensor is reported from a sensor that is part of the overall "die package" that contains the cores, ALUs, internal cache, and a bit of interface logic, but it's not really internal to the circuits, so it's usually a slightly lower temp. The CPU sensor is used to adjust fan speeds to keep the whole package cool. If this temp gets too high, you are really in trouble because the cores are probably frying by that time.

edit: Also, in the Core i7 architecture, the die package contains the functionality of the north bridge, which is basically the memory interface.

Edited by BillDempsey - 26 Feb 2009 at 12:05pm
Kaoberry View Drop Down

Quote Kaoberry Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2009 at 2:35pm
@LDLD: for sure... the forums kick butt =)

@Slgilley: Unfortunately I couldn't take great pictures of the internal lighting, it looks a hell of a lot better in person, I'm just not using my camera right to make it look nice and clear =). Haha yea... it's so bad I have urges to clean my friend's houses *grins* But we won't get into that ^^!

@Bill: Thanks for the clarification, even though it kind of melted my brain trying to wrap my head around it haha!
Valross View Drop Down

Quote Valross Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2009 at 3:18pm
thanks bill, so basically we should just pay attention to the individual core temps and start to get concerned if anyone of those reach 80C, correct?
Samael View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Samael Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2009 at 3:24pm
I love OCD friends, had a few in college, they made sure my room was clean cause thats were we would hang out lol Embarrassed
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2009 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Valross

thanks bill, so basically we should just pay attention to the individual core temps and start to get concerned if anyone of those reach 80C, correct?

yes over 80 you should start paying careful attention
Sarah View Drop Down

Hardcore Gamer

Quote Sarah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2009 at 3:52pm
Man, you really are small Kao! But those are some rocking pictures. As for your OCD, come visit my place, for oh say a week will ya? lol
Sarah
If you have sales questions, please contact [email protected]

Kaoberry View Drop Down

Quote Kaoberry Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2009 at 7:44pm
@Samael: Lol... that'd be like me... sorta, but I'd more then likely crack a whip on the lazy people! Although, yes I like to clean, I refuse to be someones excuse for being lazy =P.

@Sarah: Haha... I see how it is, you only want me there to clean!!! And here I thought you'd treat me to a nice day in CA... with maybe some sight seeing, ice cream, DS tour... gosh! =)
Sarah View Drop Down

Hardcore Gamer

Quote Sarah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2009 at 8:11pm
I tell you what Kao, if you can clean my bachelor pad, I will see about getting you that tour of DS, and the ice cream. ha ha
Sarah
If you have sales questions, please contact [email protected]

Kaoberry View Drop Down

Quote Kaoberry Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2009 at 8:15pm
Ha, then I would just be enabling you to continue to keep it messy XD. And, if I do that, and my reward is always food, I won't be so small compared to the box anymore *grins*
Kryhavoc View Drop Down

Quote Kryhavoc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2009 at 5:41pm
Great looking machine and nice OC!

Quote BillDempsey Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2009 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by Valross

Sorry for delayed response. Yes - core temps over 80 is bad but only if it stays that way for extended periods. It can briefly spike over 80 and you would still be just fine. So, don't stress too much over it unless it is sitting over 80 a lot.

Congrats again Kao! Very sweet system you have there. Great photos, too. I kept wondering how such a tiny person got that thing out of that box without climbing inside or using ropes and pulleys. Smile
Kaoberry View Drop Down

Quote Kaoberry Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2009 at 7:12pm
@Kryhavoc: Thanks!! *bows to DS for their awesome OC'ing abilities* ^^

@Bill: Thank you ^^; Haha truth be told I had a strong man pick it out for me, else I would have had much trouble *grins*. I don't have issues carrying the machine, it was just that the damn box was just so big compared to me haha! It made it very awkward to attempt on getting it out haha! Glad I didn't tape my attempt... it was sad really ^^;
dark20011 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote dark20011 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2009 at 1:24am
Kao you are less careful than I. If i had someone over to carry my comp i'd never let them be drinking Big%20smile. But you have confirmed the rumors all canadians drink labatt blue.

Anyway nice rig and great OC. I concur with everyone else on the clean desk note, mine looks like a monster ate the contents of a department store and puked it up all over my desk. I will refrain from posting any pics out of sheer shame. 

Be sure to enjoy that bad boy Ouch
nagd1986 View Drop Down

Quote nagd1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2009 at 3:48am
that is an awesome wallpaper on your samsung monitor. can you please post a link. thanks 
Kaoberry View Drop Down

Quote Kaoberry Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2009 at 11:19am
@Dark: Haha, well, he only had one *grins*. But I watched him carefully! And we don't ALL drink Labatt Blue haha! And thank you! I will definitely enjoy her very much, I am now and always will!

@Nagd: Thanks!
I got the wallpaper from interface lift:
http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper_beta/downloads/date/any/
and specifically here:
http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper_beta/details/1707/the_spectrum_of_the_sky.html
Kitijima View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Kitijima Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2009 at 9:05pm
Kaoberry, I'm in T.O. also...just wondering what shipping and handling cost in the end along with duty and taxes etc. Thx...love your rig!

Oops, I mean I am in Toronto. Where abouts did yours have to travel too?

Edited by Kitijima - 18 Mar 2009 at 9:07pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>