FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Bolt X - 3 years later

Post Date: 2020-09-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
HarryK View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote HarryK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: My Bolt X - 3 years later
    Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 9:51pm
It was almost exactly 3 years ago when I ordered my Bolt X. For the curious, original thread about my PC here: https://www.digitalstorm.com/forums/new-digital-storm-customer-and-bolt-x-owner-tidf29989/

I ordered it with an i5 7500 and a GTX 1070, though in retrospect I wish I had sprung for a slightly higher level CPU. The GTX 1070 turned out to be a really good investment as it still holds up reasonably well 3 years later.

Sadly, as fond as I am of my Bolt X, it is showing its age. I almost upgraded the GPU earlier this year, but held off as I wasn't playing that many games lately. But with Cyberpunk 2077 on the horizon, I'll be spending a lot of time gaming again soon.

Not sure what I'll do in terms of upgrades just yet, but I'm exploring my options. I have grown really fond of the Bolt X case though, and I really don't want to give it up. I had given some thought to just trying to put in all new components into the existing case. That might be my sentimentality getting the better of me however. I don't think this is necessarily the best case in terms of airflow. Hasn't been an issue thus far, but I'm thinking my next CPU will be an unlocked model and I'll try to overclock.

Anyway the point here is that I've had this thing for 3 years and it's actually held up quite well. Hardware and software are both functioning perfectly fine, though I do notice my CPU fan is a bit noisier than it used to be. I did have some issues with my LED light strip becoming unfixed early on, but after fiddling with it, I am happy to say it remains firmly in place to this day. If there's anyone out there wondering if DS systems are well made, my anecdotal data can be added to the "yes" category.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 3:51am
Nicely put. The smaller form factor case will present some challenges in upgrading. I don't envy that task. DS obviously makes a few compromises to accommodate. IMHO, the CPUs have been getting quite stronger as the gaming task has remained relatively the same. Overclocking is not the performance boost it once was, and more heat in that case....
HarryK View Drop Down

Quote HarryK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 2:33pm
True, the form factor will be a challenge. I have to decide whether or not my fondness for the look and design of this case will justify the potential headache of trying to work inside of it. Heat hasn't really been an issue so far, but then I've not overclocked my current processor.
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 6:58am
I'm glad I saw your post this morning, Harry. I was considering the Bolt instead of the Lumos for cost savings & form factor, but was concerned with heat/noise & case size for future upgrading. I also wonder if the OC on the processor is worth it or not. Good luck with your decision! I agree they are well made; despite a few headaches, mine has held up relatively well for close to six years now.
"King Solomon"
Hailstorm II

Intel Core i7 5930k
16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Rampage V
3x GTX 980
HydroLux Level 4 (3x GPU + CPU. No chipset)
 Post Reply Post Reply