FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Dream Rig :)

Post Date: 2020-05-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Adrock67 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Adrock67 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: My Dream Rig :)
    Posted: 04 May 2020 at 11:26pm
Budget: $6000-$7000

Expectations: 2nd Time Buyer Here @ Digital Storm. I loved my first computer with them (an old ODE Level 3) and I'm here to build my dream machine within reason.

Usage: Internet Browsing & Gaming with the ability to enjoy them on a 4k Ultra-High Def monitor.

Special Needs: I am currently looking for the right monitor using the Geforce G-SYNC list Nvidia has provided. Let me know of any recommendations you might have. I have come up with these monitors so far:

Acer Predator X27 $1799 atm
Asus ROG Swift PG27UQ $1264 atm
MSI Optix MPG341CQR $750 - this can work with G-Sync but its not certified by NVIDIA (yet)
Acer Predator XB321HK $1199

Saved Ticket #: SKU ID 2564181

Specifications:

Digital Storm Desktop - Config ID 3059342     

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Aventum X
Exterior Finish: Black Metallic Matte Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) (16-Thread) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (RGB Light Bar)
Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Performance Series (Fully Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (2TB Samsung 860 EVO)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI NVLink Dual (GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (2x Graphics Cards + CPU)
HydroLux Tubing Style: HardLine Tubing (Requires HydroLux PRO Custom Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Blue Fluid + Clear Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Blue - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LL Series (RGB Fans) (Software Controlled Effects) (14 Fans Total)
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm LED Lighting System
Airflow Control: Corsair Commander PRO Management Control Board & Software (3x Boards)
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 5.1GHz on All CPU Cores
Graphics: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
OS Boost: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, 6 Week Ship Estimate After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Things I would like to discuss:

Which Motherboard would be better for me the Asus ROG Maximus X1 Hero with Wi-Fi or the Asus ROG Strix (has good value)? I know the Maximus is consistent and has well balanced performance. If I can knock a few $$ off lets do it. What exactly is the Wi-Fi function for?

Memory - I wanted to get 64GB, but after reading the forums there is no reason to get it. If there is a better option than I have selected please let me know. Always willing to knock a few more $$ off.

Power Supply - I would hope 1000W would be good enough even if I added things down the road. I rather be a bit overpowered than on the low end.

Internet/Network Access - Just using the standard High Speed Network Ports here. I have no idea what the other options can provide or if they are even needed. Please enlighten me if there is something worthy.

Graphics Card - I am wondering if one Geforce RTX 2080 11GB would be better for running high end games on a 4k UHD monitor than 2 Geforce RTX 2080 8GB running SLI? What's the thought process about this at Digital Storm?

Solid State Drives - I have done enough research, but it all sort of blends together. My desires are as followed: I want 1GB SSD to start up windows QUICK and a 2nd SSD for my games for lightning load times etc.. I just picked these out. If there is a better combination I would greatly appreciate your input especially to save a few more $$.

Cooling - H2O HydroLux Pro is the way to go. I love the piping on the Hard Line Tubing. Is this the best way to go? I want to cool both graphics cards and the CPU. Whats the thoughts on the regular tubing? It doesn't look bad either!

Lighting - I am curious as to what exactly the DS LED Lighting System is and what are its capabilities. What do I have to do to have DIGITAL STORM LIT UP on the side of my rig? That's what I want.

Thank you for letting me get all this off my chest. I have always been impressed with your companies work ethic, the fit and finish of the product, and even better yet the best support in the business! I look forward to hearing from all of you.

Config ID 3059342

Edited by Adrock67 - 04 May 2020 at 11:35pm
Adrock
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 May 2020 at 6:20am
I'm the price/performance guy who cuts the fat for unnecessary waste. I have NO objection when someone wants to build a "Dream Rig" and spend like you have. That's a choice I would personally never make simply because tech moves so fast, some of that is reaching obsolescence before you've had it a year.

Right now, I think Nvidia is planning to release their new line of GPUs in September at Computex 2020. Of course one never knows, but it was set to be announced at GTC (GPU Tech Conference) in March but for the Corona Chaos, so it's pretty likely. They are scheduled to have an online conference to update everyone on May 14th. What that means is you'll have nearly $2000 in last year's GPUs.

Another thought I have is that a 27" 4k monitor is just exactly how much better than a 27" 2k monitor? Is the difference to your (or anyone's) eye really that great that you should spend over $3000 to get it? (Monitor plus GPUs to power it.) I'd bet that you would never know the difference unless side by side, and then it would be almost negligible. When you cram that many pixels into such a small space, what do you notice about it in the moment to moment of an intense gaming session?

These are personal opinions. I'm stupidly old, been gaming for 35 years, had 9 rigs including 3 from DS. Most I've EVER spent is about $2400. I game on a 1080p monitor that's 1920x1200, and I've never felt I was missing anything.

I'm not trying to talk you out of anything, I'm just puttin' it out there. You're build is mostly what you want. Some thoughts:

-In this build, I wouldn't drop down to the ROG Strix. The Maximus Hero will give you better thermals overall, and probably better longevity. The Wi-Fi will allow you to send your internet all over the house.

-Absolutely right you'll never use 64GB of RAM. The Vengeance is a good pick, the Dominator is a bit faster, and a bit "better" but you'd never know the difference.

- 1000W plus is the only way to go for 2 GPUs. The DS is okay, but only carries a one year DS warranty. The Corsair HX 1200i is really pricy, Platinum rated, and has a 7 year warranty. DS will not commit to any of the three brands of the Gold rated ones in advance. They're probably just fine, but I'd research them.

- internet ports are fine as is.

- Currently, you cannot get framerates to match those high-end monitors you're proposing from a single card on the most demanding titles. As usual, 2x cards is a really mixed bag. SLI has given way to the new NVLink, but most games going forward will not have special support for it, as the new gen cards will probably make it unnecessary. The new (3080?)Ti version will probably perform well enough to make NVLink unneeded. For right now, the only way to have framerates anywhere near 144 Hz is to go 2x2080s. It is much better than SLI as it doubles the video RAM and has better throughput, but there are still vast numbers of games that will not pay any attention to two cards. IMHO, get a strong 2k monitor and a 2080Ti to drive it full speed. That's your sweet spot today.

Personal preference, I like a lean and mean 512 GB Samsung 970 PRO for primary drive, especially if you have plenty of SSD for games, etc. I prefer to have a smaller drive just for OS, the few apps I use, and maintenance and upkeep utilities. What I get from that is drive scans that take seconds with the combo of NVMe speed and compact size. Personal choice.

-The hardline tubing is the one we see the most leaks from here on the Forum. It just has no give when it gets messed with. That's not a recommendation, it's just a fact. Dozens (hundreds?) of folks don't have problems

The DS lighting is just an LED strip that you can control with a remote. It's no big thing. Can have one color or turn it off if you want. Much better is the LL Series RGB fans. You can control them with iCue software from Corsair as to color and fan speed. AFIK, that DS logo is always lit.

I couldn't keep myself from raining on your parade a bit, but I think you should think about what you're getting yourself into going forward. Waiting's a bit*h, but we are on the verge of having 4k gaming taking a quantum leap toward affordabilty IMO. But there's very little shame in superior 2k.

Best of luck.
Adrock67 View Drop Down

Quote Adrock67 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 May 2020 at 10:36am
After reading your post Cretae, there is a lot of wisdom there and I'm definitely open for some changes. My current rig has seen better days and I'm not sure I can wait until Nvidia's September release. With that being said, I'm always going to be paying premium prices for the latest thing out. What would I do in September besides buy the latest and greatest? Are you suggesting buying a 2080 TI in September when there is a decent price drop or still purchase the new 3080 then?

As far as the monitor, what you said makes sense. I think that is the way to go now especially if there isn't much of a difference to the naked eye and not alot of support for that medium right now. Might as well run a good 2K monitor like you said. Just curious, is the 2080 TI 11GB that much better than the 8GB?

As far as the lighting goes, are you suggesting not getting the DS lighting in lieu of just the LL Series RGB fans?

What would you use for your 2nd SSD to hold games etc..?

I changed a few things:

Digital Storm Desktop - Config ID 3060565     

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Aventum X
Exterior Finish: Black Metallic Matte Finish
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair HX1200i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 970 PRO) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (2TB Samsung 860 EVO)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB (VR Ready)
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (1x Graphics Card + CPU)
HydroLux Tubing Style: HardLine Tubing (Requires HydroLux PRO Custom Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Blue Fluid + Clear Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - White - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LL Series (RGB Fans) (Software Controlled Effects) (14 Fans Total)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: Corsair Commander PRO Management Control Board & Software (3x Boards)
Graphics: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
OS Boost: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, 6 Week Ship Estimate After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Any thoughts? Thanks for your valuable input. Just wanted get a good conversation going. Thanks!
Adrock
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 May 2020 at 5:23pm
Doesn't the i7-9700K actually have slightly better numbers for gaming? You might be able to downgrade that and yet get better performance.

Also I would go with Windows 10 Pro if for no other reason than to have much more control over when Microsoft major upgrades invade your computer. If you don't already get the AskWoody newsletter I would suggest signing up for it.

Enjoy your rig. I am waiting for mine to be built.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2020 at 3:28am
Your decisions have changed the game considerably for you. Eliminating 2x NVLink means you no longer need an overpowered PSU. The 850W unit will be plenty.

I'm going to suggest a strategic move that might seem to blow the whole "Dream Rig" idea , but hear me out. For gaming at 1440p, the RTX 2070 is the price/performance pick. That means best bang for the bucks. It will get you near or over ~100 fps at high settings on a vast array of games. Slot that into your build now, save a TON of cash, and when the new cards do come out, you can make a move based upon where you want to be going forward. I would bet a lot that the 3080 (or whatever they call it) would beat out the 2080 Ti at a price point that would be much closer to what the 2080 SUPER costs. Having experienced what the 2070 SUPER can do, you might decide the 3070 is all you'll need. It could give you the best of both worlds: get up and gaming ASAP, but be in position to get that superior performance you were looking for with NVLink without breaking the bank to get it.

One caveat: the 2070 can't be liquid cooled, but that's not going to be a deciding factor IMO. You could still OC the 2070 on air if you want, and get it close to the performance of a 2080. Perfectly safe for the short term. When the new cards are out, make your choice without expecting to overclock the new card.

Whaddya think?

BTW, the sound from your Maximus Hero is going to be pretty killer. Might be you scratch the sound card, too and add one later if you don't agree.

If you go along with those changes, you just saved a little north of $1600. Might could get one of those 1TB M.2 NVMEs for secondary storage and have that blazing speed on hand for your games. Still have enough left over to do anything you'd like with the new cards when the time comes.

Just a thought.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2020 at 3:36am
@ John18:

Those two procs are really a coin flip. The 9900k actually turbos a tad higher, but I wouldn't want to bet on either one in a race.

Windows 10 Pro is a good idea for Adrock67 to consider.
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2020 at 11:24am
I fully support Cretae's suggestions on the 2070 Super. Hopefully without sounding too repetitive from another thread I just posted to, I have the RTX 2070 Super running with the i7-9700K to power a 34" 1440P monitor. I play Digital Combat Simulator at max settings with no stutters at all with this setup.

So, yes, give that 2070 Super a try and save a chunk of cash. If you don't like the onscreen performance at 1440P, then go ahead and upgrade to a new GPU when the new models come out this fall. However, I think you will be more than satisfied with the 2070 Super on a 1440P monitor.
Adrock67 View Drop Down

Quote Adrock67 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2020 at 2:56pm
Thanks for all the input guys. I've been pretty blessed these last few years working for United Airlines as a pilot and have the ability to make my 1st configuration purchase with all the bells and whistles. However, after hearing all these great suggestions AND with the dreaded Corona Virus kicking my ass with possible furloughs come October 1st, I have decided against purchasing the Aventum configuration. Its just the smarter play right now. As Cretae and Bob have suggested coming down to the 2070 Super, what good is the Aventum if I can't show the graphics card and all the gorgeous craftsmanship like the H20 Hydrolux cooling system in all its glory? So instead of the Aventum, I have put together a Velox configuration that I think will be the best fit and bang for the buck if there aren't any other good suggestions. This configuration barely makes the $400 off promotion going on right now for a $3682 total. Here it is:

Digital Storm Desktop - Config ID 3064744     

$4,082.0

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Power Supply: 850W Corsair / EVGA / Thermaltake (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Seagate FireCuda 520) (NVM Express) (Gen4 PCIe)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - White - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LL Series (RGB Fans) (Software Controlled Effects)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: Corsair Commander PRO Management Control Board & Software (1x Board)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)

Just a few notes:

After doing some research on the sound from the ASUS ROG Maximus motherboard, it appeared to me that the main goal with the creation of the SupremeFX was just to differentiate from other STANDARD motherboards. I don't think its that special especially when ASUS itself said that SupremeFX should not replace a sound card. I'm gonna stick with the sound card on this one.

As far as the power supply, I went ahead and chose the 850W. However, I am nervous about upgrading later and needing more power. I am totally sold on the Corsair 1200W XH1200i as the reviews were stellar. I just think its overkill here.

After looking at my current rig and seeing how much SSD I actually am using, I am downgrading to a 1TB (don't need 2TB) and decided to get a bit more speed too.

Do you guys see any cooling problems with my configuration with the 2070? I understand now I can't have the HydroLux on a 2070, but it should keep a respectable temperature by itself, right? I was reading temps in the 70 degree range?

I also have decided on the Windows 10 Pro as John suggested. Thank you very much.

I guess my last request is if you guys have any suggestions on a good 1440P monitor that would be best for my given configuration?

Well, looks like I'm gonna save a lot of money here and I surely do appreciate everybody. I'm gonna check this forum again and if its all good I'm gonna try and pull the trigger tomorrow. Look forward to hearing from you all. Thanks a million!

Edited by Adrock67 - 06 May 2020 at 3:00pm
Adrock
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 May 2020 at 6:37am
-Sound card- no prob, enjoy!

-Power supply- you'll have about 350W in reserve! it's in there for the long haul.

- LOVE the all-NVMe storage.

-No cooling problems. I have a case about the same size with standard fans and an all-in-one CPU cooler, and there's one mobo sensor at 56C (TMPIN4 wherever that is) and EVERYTHING else is in the 40's or lower, including my 1070 on air. Lots of overhead to a still very safe 70. Overclocking the GPU is safe, but it may result in the fans spinning up more often and louder than you want. That's the main reason we don't usually recommend that on air. If it gets that way, you can always drop the OC. DS support will help you.

-Always the "Velox disclaimer"! The window is on the right side, so to display the innards, they're upside down. I wouldn't want that to be a surprise! Lotta people love that case, but the look has changed a tad lately. IIRC, the window side is now all glass.

-I don't relish advising such a personal choice as a monitor, but there are several fellows here who have recommended the Alienware 34" AW3418DW that I think is Bob 100's unit; Asus ROG Swift PG279Q; and the Acer Predator XB271HU. Good reviews from our group.

I think you will be pleased with your build. What's changed since the last time you got one is that the tech has taken quantum leaps forward, and everything is lightning fast without a lot of strain. Your RTX 2070 is a tad BETTER than the last gen's GTX 1080... the top card until the 1080 Ti. I'm really excited to see what is coming.

All our best, and it was our pleasure to be of any help!
Adrock67 View Drop Down

Quote Adrock67 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 May 2020 at 9:07pm
Hello All,

My build is currently in Stage 4 right now and I wanted to let everyone know that I made a last minute change to the build. I know the advice was to go with the 2070 (best bang for the buck and sweet spot), but I opted to go ahead and get the 2080 instead after finding out it was only $300 more AND I just bought an Alienware AW3420DW Monitor @ 3440 x 1440. The advice was to run a 2560 x 1440 monitor on the 2070, but I got cold feet and wanted to ensure I had the FPS while using the 3440 monitor. Here it is:

Digital Storm Desktop - Config ID 3068094          $4,390.00
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Power Supply: 850W Corsair / EVGA / Thermaltake (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Chassis Fans: Corsair LL Series (RGB Fans) (Software Controlled Effects)
Airflow Control: Corsair Commander PRO Management Control Board & Software (1x Board)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Total = $3990.00

Edited by Adrock67 - 21 May 2020 at 12:56am
Adrock
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 May 2020 at 4:07am
As long as it's "only" $300 more, you will have no regrets.

For many, that $300 is a hurdle that means cutting more impactful parts someplace else, that may really affect the whole experience. I, for one, always recommend the best bang for your bucks so you can get the strongest base platform you can at the time. There's nothing inherently wrong with stretching beyond that if you're able.
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 May 2020 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Cretae

I, for one, always recommend the best bang for your bucks so you can get the strongest base platform you can at the time. There's nothing inherently wrong with stretching beyond that if you're able.

Yup. I agree.
MarkT View Drop Down

Quote MarkT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 10:24am
Adrock67

I am considering the Alienweare AW3420DW monitor, so any feedback once you are up and running would be greatly appreciated...thanks and good luck.
Mark T.
Adrock67 View Drop Down

Quote Adrock67 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by MarkT

Adrock67

I am considering the Alienweare AW3420DW monitor, so any feedback once you are up and running would be greatly appreciated...thanks and good luck.

Hi Mark,
    I would be happy to let you know how the Alienware monitor is working out with my rig (once I get it). My computer is currently in Stage 5 and about to hit Stage 6. I am scheduled to get the monitor on Friday. Hoping to get this all together within the next two weeks. I'll keep you posted!
Adrock
Adrock67 View Drop Down

Quote Adrock67 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2020 at 7:55pm

Adrock67

Hello Mark,
     I just wanted to give you an update on the new Alienware AW3420DW monitor and to let you know I haven't forgotten about you. I've had the monitor for 9 days and I am so impressed with it. I haven't had a chance to hook my rig up to it yet (currently in Stage 7 now at DS & about to ship this week), but I do have a nice laptop and it has been pushed a bit trying to run games at a good clip. The monitor comes well packaged and it didn't take long to set up. The colors are outstanding and the menus are very easy to use. The lighting can be configured very easily through the menus using the AlienFX Lighting option. This changes the color for the Alien logo on the back, the light in the stand, the downlights, and the power button. This monitor has lots of little surprises too. The more I play with it the more I love it. So there are two USB ports underneath the front of the monitor. They are split by a speaker plug in. The speaker jack worked great, but I will be using an alternate way for sound. It also has a sound option to raise and lower the volume using the menu option. As for the USB jacks, the one USB port on the right will charge your phone or any other peripheral, but the one on the left will NOT work (I found out through trial and error) unless you have the included USB cable coming from the monitor's USB upstream port to the computer. I'm hoping that my main rig will be able to accommodate all the USB devices and I won't need any of the monitor's USB ports. Either way, its nice to have the option if needed. The downlight in front of the monitor is toggled on/off by a very light touch. Works perfectly. Obviously, to get the best speed from the monitor you are gonna want to utilize the DisplayPort which provides 3440 x 1440 @ 120 Hz. I'll give you another update sometime soon once I get my rig this week. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Take care for now.

Adam

Edited by Adrock67 - 15 Jun 2020 at 7:24pm
Adrock
MarkT View Drop Down

Quote MarkT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Adrock67

Adrock67

Hello Mark,
     I just wanted to give you an update on the new Alienware AW3420DW monitor and to let you know I haven't forgotten about you. I've had the monitor for 9 days and I am so impressed with it. I haven't had a chance to hook my rig up to it yet (currently in Stage 7 now at DS & about to ship this week), but I do have a nice laptop and it has been pushed a bit trying to run games at a good clip. The monitor comes well packaged and it didn't take long to set up. The colors are outstanding and the menus are very easy to use. The lighting can be configured very easily through the menus using the AlienFX Lighting option. This changes the color for the Alien logo on the back, the light in the stand, the downlights, and the power button. This monitor has lots of little surprises too. The more I play with it the more I love it. So there are two USB ports underneath the front of the monitor. They are split by a speaker plug in. The speaker jack worked great, but I will be using an alternate way for sound. It also has a sound option to raise and lower the volume using the menu option. As for the USB jacks, the one USB port on the right will charge your phone or any other peripheral, but the one on the left will NOT work (I found out through trial and error) unless you have the included USB cable coming from the monitor's USB upstream port to the computer. I'm hoping that my main rig will be able to accommodate all the USB devices and I won't need any of the monitor's USB ports. Either way, its nice to have the option if needed. The downlight in front of the monitor is toggled on/off by a very light touch. Works perfectly. Obviously, to get the best speed from the monitor you are gonna want to utilize the DisplayPort which provides 3440 x 1440 @ 120 Hz. I'll give you another update sometime soon once I get my rig this week. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Take care for now.

Adam

Adam,
Thanks for the update....if I can snag any type of 4th of July pricing on the AW3420DW, I will be pulling the trigger. Appreciate the update and look forward to when the BEAST machine you built tests that monitor.
Mark T.
 Post Reply Post Reply