FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Dream Rig

Post Date: 2009-06-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Hellskitchen447 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Hellskitchen447 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: My Dream Rig
    Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 4:58pm
I recently, within the last 3 months anyway, received my new rig from Digital Storm and after some bumpy weeks there getting it up and running I am here to say that I am quite pleased with my new system. I have been quite busy so I am just getting around to posting this now.  She, Pandora to be exact, can run anything and everything I throw at it and then some. This was my intention all along. I wanted to be able to purchase a game that interested me and take it home, install it and play without ever having to look at the system requirements on the box. We don't need no stinkin' box. It's a great feeling! Below are system specs and pics. Thanks for everything.

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm 950Si
Exterior Finish: - EXOTIC StormGreen High-Gloss Automotive Paint Finish
Interior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 965 3.2GHz (Quad Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage II Extreme (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports Triple SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 12GB DDR3 1600MHz Mushkin (Highly Recommended) (Digital Storm Certified)
Power Supply: 1200W PC Power & Cooling (ESA Edition) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Card Reader: Internal Digital Media Card Reader (Black)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 3x (300GB Western Digital VelociRaptor (10K RPM) (16MB Cache) (Extreme Speed)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital (7200 RPM) (16MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x) (LightScribe Edition)
Optical Drive 2: Blu-Ray Player & DVD Reader (Play Blu-Ray & Read DVD Media)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Quad (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 1.792GB) (Includes PhysX Technology)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 3: High-Performance Liquid Chilled FrostBite System For CPU & Two Video Cards
Liquid Color:Green: Non-conductive High-Performance Fluid (Requires H20: Stage 3 Cooling Package)
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With Zalman Performance Fans (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Enhancements: LCD Temperature Display & Fan Controller (Requires Chassis Airflow Upgrade)
Windows OS: Microsoft Vista 64 Ultimate
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Install/Test Game: - COD-World at War

Edited by Hellskitchen447 - 06 Jul 2009 at 6:28pm
Sniperdad44
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 5:01pm
I will give a thumbs down on the green exterior.  But bro, the interior of that rig is heavenly fine!  Very clean and the color scheme is beautiful.  I'm not much on green for an outside color though.  That's just me... sorry.

Very nice!
williamsw2 View Drop Down

Quote williamsw2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 5:07pm

can you post a pic of it taken in the dark?

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 5:40pm
some overkill but other then that very nice,

Edited by DST4ME - 19 Jun 2009 at 6:13pm
inferno23 View Drop Down

Quote inferno23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2009 at 1:50pm
it looks nice i say the green lc looks nice with the gren exterior but thats just me. Also looks like u have a single loop LC. is that with 2 rads like i think and may i ask what are your load temps outta curiosity
Zardoz8719 View Drop Down

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2009 at 2:38pm
Nice to see someone experiment with a "color" other than (straight) black... Hug

Absolutely great looking interior...and yes, as DST4ME noted...there is some overkill in there--but, hey...life is short--live it large  Ermm
I too would be interested in your temps...if you get a chance...and maybe a word or two about how you like the performance/frame-rate etc... of this beast  Heart

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2009 at 2:45pm
I don't want to argue but life is short has nothing to do with things you will see no performance from, if we were taking about going with a 975 vs a 920 for a gaming rid then yes I understand and life is short, you want that go ahead, atleast you can get a higher oc out of the 975, but for example 12GB of ram, life is too short has nothing to do with it, 6GB vs 12GB you won't see any difference, liquid cooling on both cpu and gpu, but then upgraded fans? again no point.

other then a few points, its a great rig

but as I always say you got to go with what you like and if this rig makes him happy then more power to him

Edited by DST4ME - 20 Jun 2009 at 2:46pm
inferno23 View Drop Down

Quote inferno23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2009 at 2:47pm
yeah sounds good zardoz, also where are your performance fans i could't see any of em, that and whats you OC ( if u did OC) id like to see the OC ability of the asus rampage

Liike the fact u named your PC 2. im a customize the looks of mine 2 and give it its own name

Edited by inferno23 - 20 Jun 2009 at 2:48pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2009 at 2:52pm
so what are the spec Hellskitchen447? what is your oc, load temps etc

did you change any part of frostbite system or did you go with the stock?

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2009 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

I don't want to argue but life is short has nothing to do with things you will see no performance from, if we were taking about going with a 975 vs a 920 for a gaming rid then yes I understand and life is short, you want that go ahead, at least you can get a higher oc out of the 975, but for example 12GB of ram, life is too short has nothing to do with it, 6GB vs 12GB you won't see any difference, liquid cooling on both cpu and gpu, but then upgraded fans? again no point.

other then a few points, its a great rig

but as I always say you got to go with what you like and if this rig makes him happy then more power to him
If nothing else...you are the ROCK of predictability...we (ALL) knew you'd point out the fluff...and yes, the over-the-top/did-it-cuz-I-felt-like-it...damn the extra cost items here.  Smile.   I'm not faulting you for that...in fact, I had to smile when you added "if this rig makes him happy then more power to him" which is what I was getting at with "life is short--live it large" comment.   Sometimes, doing what makes us happy is where it's at. There are times when reason, logic, and the mind that rules the heart need to take a backseat to doing what makes us happy.  Buying a putter...just might be one of those times. Disapprove 

Edited by Zardoz8719 - 20 Jun 2009 at 3:33pm
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2009 at 3:30pm
Great looking system!!!  Nice pictures.  I hope that you like your system as much as I do mine.  You have a beast to be proud of!!!!!!!

Ermm
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2009 at 3:33pm
@Zardoz8719 I see your point

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2009 at 3:50pm

@DST4ME....  Just happened to notice...this is "Hellskitchen447" first post.  SO, either he changed his handle (after ordering)....or, he never came to the forum before purchasing (which is most likely).  Afterall, someone (maybe, even you) probably would have pointed out a couple of things...he might have wanted to change Disapprove     

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2009 at 3:52pm
Ya I always tell people to run their config by us, we can give them some info that may change what they want to get.

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2009 at 3:57pm

Ya I always tell people to run their config by us, we can give them some info that may change what they want to get.
You know...a little blip on the configuration page...something along the line of..."want suggestions/help...or just to know what other gamers think of your system configuration--run it by them in our forum".  Angry
B@d//j0ke View Drop Down

Quote B@d//j0ke Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2009 at 7:06pm
Who cares, that rig is a beast! Its nice to see someone else getting away from the usual black & white. I mean really, how many times have you seen someone with a black case and blue leds?? Green is a VERY nice change of pace IMHO. 

And to be honest if I had the money I would do the same, make a beast, with no regards for numbers and benchmarks, lol. If for nothing else its worth its weight in bragging rights! And 'overkill' is a complement in my book!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2009 at 7:11pm
is a 250 muscular guy a beast or a 400 pound fat guy that can barely move?

in my book the 250 muscular guys is the beast, since he can out perform the 400 pound fat guy.

thats my definition of beast, price does not decide what is a beast for me, it has to be performance.

I'm not gonna listen to any 400 pound fat guy brag, cause thats funny and the 250 muscular guy will beat his ass anyways.

extra weight is not always good, sometime it hinders.

thats my defenition of beast, tho to each his own but if somebody is gonna brag to me they better bring performance not just weight.

as I said he has many nice things in there, colors are great sure, and many other things too.

at the end he got what made him happy and thats all that matters

@Zardoz8719, that is a great idea

Edited by DST4ME - 20 Jun 2009 at 7:15pm
B@d//j0ke View Drop Down

Quote B@d//j0ke Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2009 at 7:25pm
Lol, that is what I meant. I didn't mean Id pay more for worse parts.

What I am saying is say I have a $8,000 budget. And I am running a 24" monitor. Do I need SLI GPUs no, but if I had the money then i'd go for it. Simply because I want SLI gpus.

I was not saying id fall prey to buying more expensive things that give worse performance.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2009 at 7:47pm
Let me explain myself better, 1 x 295 for a 24" monitor, beast. 2 x 295 for 24" monitor = fat guy. 1000w PSU is beast, 1200w PSU = fat guy. (unless the 1200w is needed to run the other parts that are not overkill)1200w PSU will put out lot more heat also, this heat can possibly hinder performance.

for gaming, 6GB of ram beast, 12GB = fat guy. I rather you get 6GB of 2000MHz ram then 12GB of whatever ram, why? cause at least in video editing, encoding and such you have something to gain from 2000MHz, you have nothing to gain from 12GB, its dead weight, and could possibly hinder OC speed and performance.

the above is what seperates beast from fat guy for me, but thats just me, to each his own if it makes you happy then thats what you need to get bottom line is that you get what makes you happy.

Edited by DST4ME - 20 Jun 2009 at 7:49pm
B@d//j0ke View Drop Down

Quote B@d//j0ke Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2009 at 8:16pm
Ah gotcha. Well all of that is just my opinion. The world needs people like you, so we don't go crazy and drown ourselves in useless stuff. And get into some real trouble.

I am just the kind of guy who dreams of winning the lottery, and spoiling myself with stuff, regardless of weather It has any real benefit or not.Thumbs%20Up

Quote Hellskitchen447 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2009 at 8:22pm
I haven't Had the time to take a good one yet and I don't want to post a fuzzy picture. Thanks.
Sniperdad44
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2009 at 8:42pm
Thanks HK, when you get a chance we would love to know you oc speed and load temps and etc congrats once again

@ B@d//j0ke, to each his own

Edited by DST4ME - 20 Jun 2009 at 8:43pm

Quote Hellskitchen447 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2009 at 8:55pm
Thanks for all your opinions, criticisms and points of view. I will try and respond to all you and other's have offered. Overkill is not always a bad thing. No difference between 6Gb and 12Gb? Really? Interesting point of view however I notice it quite a bit as gaming is not the only thing I do. Programs and apps I run need an awful lot of RAM. As far as gaming goes you know as well as I do that games are not all the same and react and respond differently to what and how much power a computer has. As games get more and more hungry for power it will just be a matter of time before one will need as much overkill as I happen to have. The 250lb guy vs. the 400lb guy is at best a ridiculous analogy. I have run Crysis, among other games, in sli mode using both 295's and have also run them using just one 295 and I am here to tell you there is a difference. I did not enter the forum asking for help with my config before I assembled it because I did alot of my own research and spoke with many, many gamer's and nobody thought I was going overboard. I am very happy with my system and as I said it will do and run anything and with the overkill will for a long time to come. I had the money and the budget to get anything my heart desired and this was the first time and probably the last time in my life I would be able to do something like this. It makes me very happy and nothing anyone says is going to change that. Besides when I read your comments it kind of comes off like sour grapes?? Or am I completely off base on that one. This is just my rebuttal and I am sorry if I came off a little strong. I am always happy for someone when I hear they got something they have always wanted no matter how extravagant, luxurious or over-the-top it is. Nuff' said. Thanks....
Sniperdad44
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2009 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Hellskitchen447

Thanks for all your opinions, criticisms and points of view. I will try and respond to all you and other's have offered. Overkill is not always a bad thing. No difference between 6Gb and 12Gb? Really? Interesting point of view however I notice it quite a bit as gaming is not the only thing I do. Programs and apps I run need an awful lot of RAM. As far as gaming goes you know as well as I do that games are not all the same and react and respond differently to what and how much power a computer has. As games get more and more hungry for power it will just be a matter of time before one will need as much overkill as I happen to have. The 250lb guy vs. the 400lb guy is at best a ridiculous analogy. I have run Crysis, among other games, in sli mode using both 295's and have also run them using just one 295 and I am here to tell you there is a difference. I did not enter the forum asking for help with my config before I assembled it because I did alot of my own research and spoke with many, many gamer's and nobody thought I was going overboard. I am very happy with my system and as I said it will do and run anything and with the overkill will for a long time to come. I had the money and the budget to get anything my heart desired and this was the first time and probably the last time in my life I would be able to do something like this. It makes me very happy and nothing anyone says is going to change that. Besides when I read your comments it kind of comes off like sour grapes?? Or am I completely off base on that one. This is just my rebuttal and I am sorry if I came off a little strong. I am always happy for someone when I hear they got something they have always wanted no matter how extravagant, luxurious or over-the-top it is. Nuff' said. Thanks....

Buddy, I'm extremely happy for you and you don't have to answer to anybody about your set-up.  As a matter of fact, I'll probably do the same thing next rig I purchase.  I love having everything I don't need so when I need it, it's all there (seriously).  More power to ya, and save the whales! 
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2009 at 9:32pm
I don't want to argue, I will just say that I disagree, other then crysis there aren't many games out there that will benefit from that setup.

congrats as I said before nice rig, all that matters is that you got what you wanted.

looking forward to your specs and temps

Edited by DST4ME - 20 Jun 2009 at 9:33pm

Quote Hellskitchen447 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2009 at 9:52pm
I am not arguing either, it just seems that you are uninformed or have a closed mind.
Other than Crysis ther aren't many games out there that will benefit from that setup you said, maybe, for now.
Do you not read any of the gaming periodicals? 
I had an eye to the future when I configured this. It will run just about anything thrown at it for a long time to come.
And as far as not many games benefiting from my set-up,...what? When you go into the options menu on games and see what's available, oh yeah, I benefit. Maybe you don't play certain games I play but alot more than Crysis will benefit. I have already seen and felt it. Thanks. I'm sure I will hear from you once again.  
Sniperdad44
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2009 at 9:57pm
Well like I said I don't want to argue, I will just say there is a better way to future proof the system and spend less money, I will also point you that a person with 2 x 9800gx2 from 2 year ago is not much feature proof in 2 years from now, regardless, good luck, nice system.

HK I owe you an apology, in trying to pass info to others I have come across as putting your system down, and that was not my intention , I truly apologize, your thread was not the place for that conversation, if you like I will go and edit all my posts, just give me the word, and again I apologize, your system is truly beautiful and great, its want you wanted thus its perfect for you, and that is all that matters

Edited by DST4ME - 20 Jun 2009 at 10:41pm

Quote williamsw2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2009 at 11:07pm
HK, can u take a pic of it in the dark with the lights on?

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2009 at 5:10am
Originally posted by williamsw2

Ok, ok...it's the first thing in the morning...I'm sipping my coffee, I read your post, and my eyes roll up as I ponder how you take a picture in the dark with the lights on  Smile Smile Smile

And, yeah, I get it....Embarrassed

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2009 at 5:25am

Well like I said I don't want to argue, I will just say there is a better way to future proof the system and spend less money, I will also point you that a person with 2 x 9800gx2 from 2 year ago is not much feature proof in 2 years from now, regardless, good luck, nice system.

HK I owe you an apology, in trying to pass info to others I have come across as putting your system down, and that was not my intention , I truly apologize, your thread was not the place for that conversation, if you like I will go and edit all my posts, just give me the word, and again I apologize, your system is truly beautiful and great, its want you wanted thus its perfect for you, and that is all that matters
...offering to edit your posts...on top of an apology...couldn't have come easy for you.  I tip my hat at your magnanimous and unsolicited gesture Hug Ermm  Just a suggestion...you might consider (using) a different opening statement for your posts...saying, "I don't want to argue"...or..."like I said, I don't want to argue"...gives us the impression you don't want to argue EmbarrassedSmile

Quote williamsw2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2009 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Zardoz8719

Originally posted by williamsw2

Ok, ok...it's the first thing in the morning...I'm sipping my coffee, I read your post, and my eyes roll up as I ponder how you take a picture in the dark with the lights on  Smile Smile Smile

And, yeah, I get it....Embarrassed

Ha Ha. He doesn't have to do it right now    
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2009 at 12:09pm
@Zardoz8719, the opening section was the original post, but after some thought I realized that this was not the right thread to have this conversion so I added the second part.

to be honest I have no problem apologizing when I'm wrong, fair is fair, I should not have had this conversation in this thread and that was wrong.

I only hope he accepts my apology.

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2009 at 2:14pm

@Zardoz8719, the opening section was the original post, but after some thought I realized that this was not the right thread to have this conversion so I added the second part.

to be honest I have no problem apologizing when I'm wrong, fair is fair, I should not have had this conversation in this thread and that was wrong.

I only hope he accepts my apology.

I understand where you're coming from...and your offer sincere...several people talking past each other (instead of to each other) lately...  Tomorrow's another day...even if it is Monday...people want'in to buy computers...people need'in to know stuff....do what you do best Wacko  
Steveski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Steveski Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2009 at 2:34pm
The computer and interior are awesome but for my tastes such as they are, that is one butt ugly green color. Thankfully we are all different though and to each his own.

Edited by Steveski - 26 Jun 2009 at 2:35pm
Vipersneak View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Vipersneak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2009 at 10:28pm
"HK I owe you an apology, in trying to pass info to others I have come across as putting your system down, and that was not my intention , I truly apologize, your thread was not the place for that conversation, if you like I will go and edit all my posts, just give me the word, and again I apologize, your system is truly beautiful and great, its want you wanted thus its perfect for you, and that is all that matters "

Very nice DST.  You have shown some class there.

HK....Very nice system.    /jealous    I wish I could order whatever I wanted...it would definitely be overkill...and I would play Civilization on it just to spite everyone else hehe.

I am very happy for you.  Christmas in June.

Edited by Vipersneak - 27 Jun 2009 at 7:50pm
Intel i5 3570 @ 4.0 GHz
ASUS Sabertooth Z77 MB
8 Gb of Corsair Vengence 1600
nVidia 670 FTW
120 Gb Corsair GTX SSD
1 TB WD Caviar Black HDD (3gb/sec)
800 watt Corsair GS PSU
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>