My first DS rig is 8 years old - still in use

Post Date: 2015-04-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
67alecto View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote 67alecto Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: My first DS rig is 8 years old - still in use
    Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 12:47pm
Walking past the cool blue cathode tubes last night, I realized that my Twister Pro rig from Digital Storm will be 8 years old this year.

Way back in 2007, when I was researching what gaming rig I wanted to get, after months of research I had it narrowed down to Alienware and Digital Storm. They spec'd out nearly identically, including cost, but what sold me was how on the various Consumer Review pages, I was seeing personal responses by DS employees if someone had a complaint. That plus the use of name brand hardware clinched it for me.

Fast-forward 2.5 years later, and my motherboard dies. Still in warranty, I ship it back to DS and they replace it, along with my memory, hard drive, and the graphics card (what can I say, the MoBo didn't go without a fight). I finish out the 3-year warranty without any other issues.

Fast forward 3 more years of regular use and my windows install gets corrupted. Having recently re-imaged an even older Dell and going through 8 billion XP updates because of a years-old install disc, I decide I'd really just rather have a new computer and I order a Vanquish II in 2013.

At this point, I wipe the HD of the Twister Pro and install Windows 7 on it and pass it on to my daughter. I also take out the massive 9800 GTX (when DS replaced my graphics card, they didn't have an 8800 GTX, so they sent that instead) and replace it with a GeForce 210 (less powerful, but much, much, much quieter and cooler).

Fast forward 2 more years to 2015 and the DS Twister Pro is still going strong. I replaced the heat sink fan just before Christmas as it was on its last legs. My 8-year old daughter uses it for all of her school websites, plus she's got Portal and Portal 2.

It is a solidly built machine, and I won't be surprised if it's still around when my youngest (2 years old) is old enough to use it.
Twister Pro
750W PS/Q6600 2.4GHz/680i LT/2GB Corsair 800/9800GTX/X-Fi XtremeGamer/Stage 2 Cooling
Vanquish II
430W Corsair/i3 3.3 GHz/Asus H61M/8Gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance/650Ti Boost 2Gb
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 12:58pm
Congrats.

Getting your moneys worth out of that baby. Good to hear.

Edited by bprat22 - 09 Apr 2015 at 12:58pm
 Post Reply Post Reply