Usage:
Mainly gaming and streaming my games

Special Needs:
Play VR games
Play any Pc games on highest graphics and high fps always
Stream and play
Be able to handle photo editing software

Specifications:
I have ordered a aventum with these specs.
After reading forums seems like I pretty much have a lot of overkill on Pc and deciding if I should step down and build up a velox with same or better specs
Just want opinions on build and if stepping down would benefit me cause the aventum being 100lbs and hard to put under most desks is a turn off
Realjxm View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Realjxm Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2023 at 1:13pm
Specs are here
Processor: Intel Core i9-13900K (5.7 GHz
Turbo) (32-Thread) (24-Core) 3.0 GHz
(Raptor Lake)
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z790-P D5 (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z790 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E
Devices) (No SLI) (DDR5)
System Memory: 64GB DDR5 5200MHz
Kingston FURY Beast GB
Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm
Performance Series (Semi-Modular) (80 Plus
Gold)
Storage Set 1: 1× SSD M.2 (2TB Samsung
970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1× SSD M.2 (500GB Digital
Storm M.2 Performance Series) (NVM
Express)
Storage Set 3: 1× SSD M.2 (500GB Digital
Storm M.2 Performance Series) (NVM
Express)
1× GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
8GB
Win 11
Realjxm View Drop Down

Quote Realjxm Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2023 at 1:35pm
New build for downsizing
https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=4617567
Code: 4617567
Hort View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Hort Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2023 at 2:46pm
I think your second build makes more sense. The first, that video card wouldn't future proof you like splurging on a 4090. I just ordered my Velox that came in at $5k - but with the 4090 and a ROG Hero board.

Why the three drives and those three? Planning on mirroring one? For almost the same price, a little cheaper actually, you could do a 1TB faster 980 and a second 2TB 980

And good call with 32GB RAM
Realjxm View Drop Down

Quote Realjxm Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2023 at 2:55pm
Good to know im going to update those memory drives now and yeah in first build I didn’t prioritize what was actually going to help me and got fooled by the ram
Realjxm View Drop Down

Quote Realjxm Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2023 at 3:05pm
Updated new build
https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=4617628

Code 4617628

Question why would I want the hero motherboard over the prime motherboard that comes with it
Realjxm View Drop Down

Quote Realjxm Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2023 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Hort

I think your second build makes more sense. The first, that video card wouldn't future proof you like splurging on a 4090. I just ordered my Velox that came in at $5k - but with the 4090 and a ROG Hero board.

Why the three drives and those three? Planning on mirroring one? For almost the same price, a little cheaper actually, you could do a 1TB faster 980 and a second 2TB 980

And good call with 32GB RAM

Originally posted by Realjxm

Updated new build

Code 4617628

Question why would I want the hero motherboard over the prime motherboard that comes with it
Hort View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Hort Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2023 at 3:29pm

Updated new build

Code 4617628

The Hero isn't exactly a "value" ;)

I wanted the Thunderbolt ports and that board's connectivity options in general including USB-C with 60w passthrough plus the more-audiophile DAC.

But whether you need or want all of that... for a few hundred more--- YMMV
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 1:40am
Your current build is better. The Aventum is not very practical, and mostly for show IMHO.

For your uses, you will never use all the cores and threads in the top proc. The 13600KF is really great, but if you must have overkill, the 13700KF is the compromise I recommend. It will power gaming and streaming for years, and run cooler the whole time.

If you want 3GB of storage, I think it's gonna be more efficient if you go with 1TB 980 for Storage set 1, and a 2GB 980 For #2. save you over $100, too.

You won't need the mobo upgrade unless you have the special needs/tastes Hort has.

These procs are way beyond what's ever been offered before, and the i5 is genuinely a super gaming chip with a very long life expectation. The 13900K is just nuts unless you are doing very heavy lifting.

Hope it helps.   
Realjxm View Drop Down

Quote Realjxm Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 5:38am
Originally posted by Cretae

Your current build is better. The Aventum is not very practical, and mostly for show IMHO.

For your uses, you will never use all the cores and threads in the top proc. The 13600KF is really great, but if you must have overkill, the 13700KF is the compromise I recommend. It will power gaming and streaming for years, and run cooler the whole time.

If you want 3GB of storage, I think it's gonna be more efficient if you go with 1TB 980 for Storage set 1, and a 2GB 980 For #2. save you over $100, too.

You won't need the mobo upgrade unless you have the special needs/tastes Hort has.

These procs are way beyond what's ever been offered before, and the i5 is genuinely a super gaming chip with a very long life expectation. The 13900K is just nuts unless you are doing very heavy lifting.

Hope it helps.   

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=4618012
Code 4618012

Thank you I did the memory swaps n step down to the 13700kf
But upgraded to hero motherboard

Last thing I’m deciding in between is I currently put all air cooling

From what I’m reading liquid cooled is good but if something down the line happen Pc won’t turn on at all and then u have to be a good tinker to get inside n fix it
I rather just have fans then worry about the liquid cooling

Am I correct or go liquid
It’s the same price with or without

Hort View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Hort Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 7:16am
Skip liquid - it requires routine maintenance and attention that you should only get into if you are hyper-interested in investing the time and skill.

If you look at various comparisons, for example a Noctua versus basic liquid cooling, the gains aren't so great as to truly be useful for most.

And I'd only step up to the Hero if you fully understand where it excels and that you'll make use of it.

Certainly, can't hurt, but for a few hundred bucks... if you really don't need it, that a few hundred towards an even better monitor, for example.
Realjxm View Drop Down

Quote Realjxm Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 7:26am

Skip liquid - it requires routine maintenance and attention that you should only get into if you are hyper-interested in investing the time and skill.

If you look at various comparisons, for example a Noctua versus basic liquid cooling, the gains aren't so great as to truly be useful for most.

And I'd only step up to the Hero if you fully understand where it excels and that you'll make use of it.

Certainly, can't hurt, but for a few hundred bucks... if you really don't need it, that a few hundred towards an even better monitor, for example.

Well I already have my monitor I’ll be using and mechanical keyboard and gaming mouse and my desk all set up. Also a gaming headset. Just waiting for this powerhouse to be built to get going.
I like the things the hero is bringing compared to the prime and I’m sure I’ll find ways to use it all. I rather grow with it and learn to use all its benefits
Realjxm View Drop Down

Quote Realjxm Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 9:15am
Thank you Cretae and Hort. I’ve called DS and they are changing my first build into this new one. I appreciate all the information and input. Now I’m actually really excited to get this Rig
Hort View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Hort Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 9:44am
Enjoy! As I said, my order just went in too - let's hope the gods are with us and they get built and sent relatively quickly. :)
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 10:10am

I like the things the hero is bringing compared to the prime and I’m sure I’ll find ways to use it all. I rather grow with it and learn to use all its benefits

Here's a side-by-side comparison:

Compare PRIME Z790-P WIFI vs. ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | ASUS

As @Hort has already mentioned, a lot of the difference of higher end motherboards is the I/O (e.g., addition of Thunderbolt, more high-speed USB, more USB, faster networking). Typically, this is most relevant to pro audio and video creators/creatives/editors.

My insight on "future proofing":

My normal upgrade cycle (for almost every item) is 5 to 10 years. Many instances, I've chosen the "flagship" product thinking, "This will last me doubly as long as if I went with the mid-tier configuration." The reality is no, it won't. Sure, a little growing room is fine/ideal (e.g., the next step up product from what you currently need).

Something of a fun comparison:

How I Wore The Wrong Shoe Size for 18 Years | Sneaker Freaker

Additionally, when you need (or think you need) a new GPU, a new CPU will probably be beneficial, or even the next storage tech. In other words, you're better off investing in the next full system upgrade than trying to squeeze out a few more months of a current/previous.

P.S. And, yes, if you look at the PC specs in my forum signature, you'll see I too can still fall into that mind trap.

Edited by MrCheetah - 07 Feb 2023 at 10:12am
• Ryzen 5600X, ROG Strix B550-I, RX 6900 XT, 32GB Vengeance, 960GB MP510
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
Hort View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Hort Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 10:51am
^^ Agree with Mr. Cheetah,

I've always bought from DS right around the max of what I can afford and will, assumably, meet my needs for the next few years. The last couple of builds were each in that 5-6 year range. My current PC is actually beyond fine for most anybody's general use. It's just begun creaking and groaning a bit... and I'm bumping my head to often on RAM and horsepower when editing multimedia.

Considering it's rarely been powered dwon in six years - I'll take it.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 7:13am
Agree with everything MrCheetah said. Newer tech brings newer advances in everything that is often worth having. So overpaying to try for longer lasting is counter-productive.

Just for clarity, an AOI, (all-in-one) liquid cooling system is maintenance free. hort was referring to a custom loop with replaceable coolant. Frankly, almost a nightmare for me. The Noctua offered here is an outstanding air cooler. It should easily outlast the pump or seals or something on any AOI, and be maintenace free for the life of your use. If something goes wrong, just replace a fan or two.

Seems the mobo is in your budget,so.... Yay   
 Post Reply Post Reply