FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

my new pc boost

Post Date: 2019-10-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
PatrickTheGamer View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote PatrickTheGamer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: my new pc boost
    Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 8:17pm
So I ordered a lumos with a 2070s and a Core i7 9700k. i selected both the gpu and cpu boost. what type of increase does that acually give?

Edited by PatrickTheGamer - 24 Oct 2019 at 12:28am
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 11:38pm
Welcome to the forum PatrickTheGamer, and congrats on the Verified Customer badge!

Lumos is a great system. If you used HydroLux Pro cooling on both CPU and GPU, then Overclocking the GPU is OK...but on air alone we don't usually recommend Overclocking the GPU...as the performance gain is marginal (probably less than 5%) compared with the extra heat and stress on a GPU.

Different story on the excellent Intel I7-9700K CPU, as Intel specifically designs their K & X Class processors to be fully Overclocked...long as you have adequate Stage 2 liquid cooling on the CPU.   You are paying for that extra processor performance built in, but you don't get it all unless you do Overclock the CPU.   Your stock frequency is 3.6 GHz, a Stage 1 OC boosts that to 4.7 GHz...and a Stage 2 can reach up to 5.1 GHz.

Overclocking the CPU involves running more power through the CPU to generate higher frequency levels on the processor cores...which provides increased processor performance 24/7 in gaming and everything you do with your rig.    The better the cooling, the higher & more stable the Overclock frequency that can be attained.   The extra CPU heat this generates is mitigated by the liquid CPU cooler used.   DS has been producing Overclocked gaming & professional systems for about a decade and they know how to do it right.    

Edited by HockeyBuck - 23 Oct 2019 at 11:41pm

Quote PatrickTheGamer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 12:27am
so is it bad i got the gpu boost option selected as well?

Quote PatrickTheGamer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 12:27am
oh typo btw i got the i7 9700k not the i9

Edited by PatrickTheGamer - 24 Oct 2019 at 12:28am

Quote PatrickTheGamer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 12:30am
     Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7-9700K (4.9 GHz Turbo) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PLUS (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI Support)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W EVGA 850 GQ (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (500GB Digital Storm Performance Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 1: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Single Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
CPU Boost: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Graphics Boost: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: Digital Storm Devastator Bundle (RGB) Keyboard & Mouse

Quote PatrickTheGamer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 12:31am
"Graphics Boost: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability" so this wont help much?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 1:25am
We do not recommend Overclocking the GPU on air cooling alone.

You evidently did not select the (Free) Stage 1 CPU Overclock ...you should ask DS to change that.

You also did not select the (Free) DS RGB LED case lights...you can ask DS to change that too.

You used the stock DS AIO CPU Cooler...would suggest you upgrade to one of the Corsair AIO H100i or H115i coolers for longer warranty and better performance. The DS parts will only carry the 1 yr system parts warranty.

You used DS stock case fans, which are plain black budget fans without lights.   Especially in the tempered glass Lumos case, I suggest using the better performing Corsair LL RGB fan upgrade or Corsair ML RGB case fan upgrade.

Edited by HockeyBuck - 24 Oct 2019 at 1:33am

Quote PatrickTheGamer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 1:34am
my pc is already shipped tho they cant really change anything. also the graphics boost is bad then gona cause problems?

Quote PatrickTheGamer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 8:43am
i didnt see any free led case lights 0.0 when i ordered

Edited by PatrickTheGamer - 24 Oct 2019 at 8:44am

Quote PatrickTheGamer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 9:13am
you are aware that liquid cooling isnt that much better then regular cooling? processors dont throttle until around 100 C..... also based on my research the 2070 super is a very cool card(no pun intdented) and haveing it around 70-80 wont throtttle it so if thats where its sitting with the overclock that they are testing it shouldnt effect performance. liquid cooling isnt a requriement to overclock.... also my question was has anyone acaully gotten the free boost before and how was it.

Quote PatrickTheGamer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 3:44pm
oki so i was able to confirm the 2070 S throttles at 98C so im confusled on why overclocking it is a bad idea without water cooling?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 7:14pm

DS will have been careful when doing the GPU Overclock for you, but understand that the “throttling “ you are talking about is the max temp safety precaution NVidia builds into the 2070 GPU at 88 degrees centigrade to stop you from damaging it....by automatically shutting it down.   You do not want GPU temps to go that high, so just monitor the temps and try to stay well below 85c and you will be fine.   

Quote PatrickTheGamer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 10:12pm
kk thank you
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 5:14am
Just to be clear, we tend not to recommend the DS GPU overclock not because it's dangerous, but simply because it's not that much of a performance bump to a GPU that is already a righteously killer card. And that applies to the whole line.

There is always variance in the ability of electronic parts to handle more stress, and it's a better idea, we think, to shy away from a small increase in stress for the sake of possibly extending lifespan. These are not cut-and-dried judgements, but in the long run, may be helpful. If it were "dangerous", DS wouldn't offer it, so you're cool.

Quote PatrickTheGamer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 10:09am
thanks <3
 Post Reply Post Reply