FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My New Q9550 CPU

Post Date: 2008-08-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Nickdapimp View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nickdapimp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: My New Q9550 CPU
    Posted: 09 Aug 2008 at 9:18am
harleyman you should seriously write a biography of your DS experience, the story and crazy adventure of your experience here is "wow" lol. But seriously right a nice post of ALL yout experience with pix =P

TomD View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote TomD Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Aug 2008 at 10:27am
Thumbs%20UpThat is a great OC for a quad core

ClapClap DSOClapClap

Congratulations!

Maybe I need to upgrade to liquid cooling.... I wonder how hard it would be to do myself. I am pretty good with PC hardware, but I am worthless when it comes to plumbing.Wink

Quote Nickdapimp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Aug 2008 at 10:32am
lol I thought I was good with PC hardware also and when I installed my first liquid cooling.... lets just say it was a huge fire hazard =P

Sneakerz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Sneakerz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Aug 2008 at 10:33am
Thats a real nice OC! I think on my next build/upgrade I will be going Liquid Cooling and hopefully will get better results.

Very nice! Can't wait to read the review and see pics!
Intel Core i5 6600k @ 4.6
240GB Samsung SSD
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Hybrid
Corsair Hydro H80i GT

Quote Nickdapimp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Aug 2008 at 10:36am
My old PC had Q6600 and with liquid cooling it went to 3.40GHz with COMPLETE STABILITY! IT WASN'T EVEN 1 C over the NON OC TEMP! I can go to like 4.0GHz if I wanted to but im completely fine with it now =P

Slicer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Slicer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Aug 2008 at 11:35am
with those type results and I'm liquid cooling as well, I expect I should be able to get mine to 3.5-3.6 on my Q9450 then
850 SI
Quad 9450 3.6 GHZ
790i Ultra DDR3
CPU Liquid Cooled
GTX 280
4GB 1333 DDR Corsair
Nvidia ESA System
860W PSU

Quote Nickdapimp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Aug 2008 at 12:08pm
woot ty Harleyman =) now let me narrow that down to 200 pages and publish a book "Secrets of Digital Storm"

Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Aug 2008 at 11:11pm
It was all played out on a public forum, but don't let that stop you from "marketing" NickTongue, tell-alls sell pretty well.

Harleyman, I am so glad to see this finally coming together for you. You're finally getting the rig of your dreams. I'm now waiting too.... BFG finally updated their trade up price listing. I had 1 day left on my trade up period of 100 days when the 9800GTX+ OC showed up as an option for $199. So now I get to go from two 9600GT's to two 9800GTX+ for $60 + shipping. I'm giddy all over again thinking about this upgrade. Big%20smile

Psyched for the Harleyman, and psyched for my new cards too.

You have to make sure to post plenty of pics when you get yours so I have plenty of material to work with for that new forum sig. Maybe I could work in some FSX artwork if you can get some captures of your favorite in game model.Wink

Edited by Tyler Lowe - 09 Aug 2008 at 11:12pm
Duke View Drop Down

Digital Storm Customer Service

Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2008 at 5:46am
Dear Mason,
I hope Sarah also mentioned that your system has yet to be tested for stability. Yes, its currently at 3.8, but thats not guaranteed at the moment.

**SOrry mason **

I'm hoping [too] that your new CPU can pull this frequency off, and within reasonable LOAD temps. Just to keep everything on the SAFE + LONGEVITY side, If the CPU is stable, but I feel the LOAD temps are a bit high. I WILL clock it down. I hope you understand.

So before this thread gets out of hand, Harleymans CPU @ 3.8GHz is STBD.
Still to be Determined.

Edited by Duke - 10 Aug 2008 at 5:46pm
EMAIL & MSN:
[email protected]
SunfighterLC View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2008 at 9:08am

3.8! Ha! my dual core did that with auto voltages.................!

!!!!!
E8500@ 4.03Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Logitech Z-2300 2.1 Speakers
Asus Xonar 7.1
Hanns-G HG 281D 28" HDMI Monitor
TomD View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote TomD Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2008 at 12:33pm
Duke wrote:

"but I've just noticed that [including previous updates you received] you like to jump the gun way too fast . I understand you're entering some exciting territory in your adventures right now, but please tread lightly."

That statement was definately unncecessary.

I can see why you would be T'd  off Harleyman. I am sure Duke didn't mean it as an attack - sometimes things written down have a way of looking much worse than intended.

I think he was just trying to communicate the facts - that it hadn't been fully tested yet, and would rather tell you now than later if it doesn't hold up. On my RMA the system passed stress testing, and their QA stage caught a problem and it got sent back for a new MB, so they definately perform additional tests after stress testing (fortunately).

Hope you can let this ride out a couple more days and see how it turns out. You are so close to the finish line.

Take care.

Tom
workingman View Drop Down

Quote workingman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2008 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Duke

Dear Mason,
I hope Sarah also mentioned that your system has yet to be tested for stability. Yes, its currently at 3.8, but thats not guaranteed at the moment.

Sorry to rain on your parade man, but I've just noticed that [including previous updates you received] you like to jump the gun way too fast . I understand you're entering some exciting territory in your adventures right now, but please tread lightly.

I'm hoping [too] that your new CPU can pull this frequency off, and within reasonable LOAD temps. Just to keep everything on the SAFE + LONGEVITY side, If the CPU is stable, but I feel the LOAD temps are a bit high. I WILL clock it down. I hope you understand.

So before this thread gets out of hand, Harleymans CPU @ 3.8GHz is STBD.
Still to be Determined.
  HMMM i hope he really isnt as mean as his post makes him out to be..........do i think businesses should bow down to any customers whim..indeed not...but HM has been through a  lot..I know DS has too( getting HM the best machine they can ) but to me Duke's statement was a little ....cold..(for lack of a better word)

Quote workingman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2008 at 3:16pm
I work with the public everyday...as you know..do I get upset...yes..do i get frustrated..yes...do i get down right mad...yes....but its my job to try to the best of my ability to not show those feelings....am i 100% successful..not always..but HM as far as Im concerned..you have been more than patient..you IMHO didnt warrent what was said.Cry
Duke View Drop Down

Digital Storm Customer Service

Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2008 at 5:45pm
Wow. Listen, Mason, I did not mean any hurtful intent in my previous post, and I sincerely apologize if it read that way. I will go back and edit it out. Yes, your system is in stage 5, and I am working on it as hard as I can.

Its fair enough to question my previous work with your overclock, but like I already told the story, your system (with all original stress testing) had failed in QA, and after I got it back up, it was still questionable to me, but I had a deadline to meet. We already delayed your system twice, and didn't want to call and upset you a third time. It was working. It was working in QA. It got shipped out, and the rest everyone already knows.

Honestly Mason, you've been the MOST patient customer with us, and I really appreciate that. But at the same time, your Love-Hate relationship with us is really killing me.

EMAIL & MSN:
[email protected]

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2008 at 6:20pm
Sometimes, being kept updated on the progress of a system, right up to the moment, is not a good thing. Wink

Personally, I don't think providing any overclocking figures prior to stability testing is a good idea *at all*. I see it as a lose-lose situation. If you're low, you may disappoint someone for no reason, and the same thing if you state a figure that ends up being higher than what is possible. Overclocking varies from one chip to the next, from one set of memory modules to the next, and from one mainboard... even power supply to the next that even "ballparking" an overclocking figure is risky business.

Some chips really do hit amazing speeds on air, but, you just don't know what a person bragging on that figure is calling "stable". Do they mean they loaded Windows desktop without a crash, or do they mean they did a full 48 hour stability stress test? No one knows for sure really, except the person making the claim. If this is on a 780i motherboard, and from the look, it is... I am actually a little surprised they managed to get the clock that high on a quad, even on liquid.

I think Duke could maybe have stated things a bit more delicately, but I can absolutely understand what he was getting at "don't get your hopes up too high, I don't want you to be disappointed if we can't reach that speed with stability." I also am amazed at how patient you've been Harleyman. I really don't think I would have been able to contain my frustrations if it had been my system on the fritz for 3 months, and I didn't spend a third of what you have.

Quote Nickdapimp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2008 at 7:05pm
wow...Dukes message hit me so hard that I actually had a BSOD when I read it (No, I'm not joking)...first BSOD I had on my MBP running BootCamp...Duke...you made my MBP a very sad panda and me also =( btw guys can you check on my order 7231 and contact me via PM and I send a email to probably 3 people including Duke & Alex about my config for some minor changes. Waited 3 days and no response. Please answer back so I can start my happy dance =P

Quote Nickdapimp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2008 at 7:24pm
I just checked out http://www.maingear.com/ and they just seem a DSO wannabe, DSO is way better! Any comment to this company DSO?

Wow just did more research on them...it seems they got no good reviews and the community sucks. The computers have barely any info only thing I like is the 8 core support but there website is so poorly build on Flash its not even funny.

Edited by Nickdapimp - 10 Aug 2008 at 7:28pm

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2008 at 7:24pm
I hear ya Harleyman, and I know a fair number of guys that have hit 3.6GHz on a Q6600, but I know mine won't, at least not without juicing the hell out of it, which I just will not do.

You should be excited. Very excited.Big%20smile I'm sure Duke just wants you to have the best experience, and I know most if not everyone that has read even a part of what you've been through already is pulling really hard for you Harleyman. I know I am. Wink

Quote Nickdapimp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2008 at 8:27pm
Why are PMs gone? Maybe I want to PM a admin or mod or maybe a friend? =( DSO giving me a sad day today...im turning emo every second. Help?

Quote Nickdapimp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2008 at 9:43pm
How were people abusing it if I may ask

Quote workingman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2008 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by Nickdapimp

I just checked out http://www.maingear.com/ and they just seem a DSO wannabe, DSO is way better! Any comment to this company DSO?

Wow just did more research on them...it seems they got no good reviews and the community sucks. The computers have barely any info only thing I like is the 8 core support but there website is so poorly build on Flash its not even funny.
  im wondering what reviews you were looking at....resellers gives them 9.8 out of ten..and all the mag articles i have read just praise them....so maybe you can share one of those bad review addresses? and i guess the flash and their forums..are simply a matter of taste..

Quote Nickdapimp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2008 at 10:36pm
Ah sorry did more research of them. Yes they seem very stable and sponsor and manage one of the best eSport teams, but there prices are ridiculous. Maybe DSO should take a look. There case painting is great and the 8 core support. DSO c'mon take some notes! I want 8 CORES! =)

Quote Nickdapimp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2008 at 10:38pm
btw im not advertising just saying what DSO competition looks like, and there east coast...so no worry maybe? there community forum also looks way more active

Quote workingman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2008 at 11:07pm
wasnt trying to make them look good ..but i just wondered if you thought they were so bad..please show me..cause i didnt find it anywhere..and i did a config on their site just for kicks...and mine actually came out cheaper than dso..but again..im glad im here...for now..lmaoLOL

Quote Nickdapimp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2008 at 11:53pm
I talked to few people off there forum with AIM sn and 2 of em out of 10 said they tested DSO also and find DSO maybe a bit more better

Quote Nickdapimp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2008 at 11:57pm
As you all know im a game guru and I spend countless thousands so I ordered a PC from there 9,800 bucks. I also bought a 8000 dollar PC from DSO so im going to compete the 2 and see which one better, keep watching my videos!

Quote workingman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2008 at 7:55am
wow..that would be interesting nick....I'm sorry..I'm just a poor old man...never in my life have I ever had that kind of money available to spend as I please.on two computer systems..can i be your best friend?...lmaoLOL

Quote Nickdapimp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2008 at 8:40am
workingman you should of seen the money I put down on cyberpower PC and my first DSO rig >_< and sure you can be my best friend...if you can get me free overnight shipments without damaging anything? ya ya? lol

Quote workingman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2008 at 8:44am
oh well that i just cant do...but you cant blame me for trying..LOL

Quote Nickdapimp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2008 at 8:45am
pc-ephex-Intel-NVIDIA     
EPHEX INTEL/NVIDIA     
$3,782.72      
$3,782.72      

Customizations:       

Exterior Automotive Color: Blue Flamewerks      
$999.99

Side Window: Translucent Window Side Panel w/ Blue LED Lighting Bundle      
$99.99

Power Supply: 1200W Silverstone DA1200 Power Supply      

Motherboard: ASUS Striker II Extreme NVIDIA® nForce™ 790i      

Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme QX9770 (3.2GHz x 4) 45nm 12MB L2 Cache      
$1,513.00

CPU Cooling: Maingear Dual 120mm X20 CPU + Chipset Water Cooling System      

Memory: 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1800 PC3-14400      
$325.00

Do you want us to Redline™ your CPU?: YES      

Hard Drive One: Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache - SATA II      
$283.75

Hard Drive Two: Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache - SATA II      
$368.75

RAID: RAID 0 - Increase and speed up your storage array (requires 2 or more HDDs)      

Flash Card Reader: All-in-One Internal USB 2.0 Flash Card Reader & Writer      
$29.99

Optical Drive One: 20X Dual Layer DVD±RW Drive w/ LightScribe Technology - black      

Optical Drive Two: LG Super Multi Blue Blu-ray™ Disc Burner & HD DVD-ROM™ Drive      
$349.99

Video Card: 3x NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 280 3GB GDDR3 in Tri-SLI      
$550.00

Video Cooling: Maingear Arctic Liquid GPU Cooler      
$299.00

Do you want us to Redline™ your GPU?: YES      

PhysX Accelerator: PhysX Accelerator w/ Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter - 128MB      
$299.99

Sound Card: Integrated 8-channel High Definition Audio      

Network Card: Dual Gigabit LAN      

Wireless Network Adapter: D-Link Xtreme N™ DWA-552 PCI Adapter      
$109.99

Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (64-Bit) SP1      
$95.62

The Final Finesse: Flawless Hand-crafted Wiring and Cable Management      

Warranty: 3 Year Premium On-Site Maingear Warranty      
$180.00

Product Subtotal:     

Shipping: FedEx Standard Overnight     
$246.88      

Tax:     
$0.00      

Total:      
$9,534.64

VS

Order Contents:
- Digital Storm Desktop 68135 Quantity: 1 $7,904.00

System Configuration:
Chassis: Digital Storm 950Si
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Interior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Power Supply: 1200W PC Power & Cooling (ESA Edition) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad QX9770 Extreme 3.20GHz (1600MHz FSB) (12MB Cache)
Motherboard: nVidia 790i Ultra Core 2 Quad (nForce 790i Ultra SLI) (DDR3 Only)
System Memory: 4GB DDR3 Corsair at 1600MHz DHX (High-Performance)
Card Reader: - No Thanks
Hard Drive 1: 300GB Western Digital VelociRaptor (10K RPM) (16MB Cache) (Extreme Speed)
Hard Drive 2: 300GB Western Digital VelociRaptor (10K RPM) (16MB Cache) (Extreme Speed)
Raid Option: Setup hard drive 1 and hard drive 2 in a Raid 0 Stripe Configuration (Expert)
Hard Drive 3: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x) (LightScribe Edition)
Optical Drive 2: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x) (LightScribe Edition)
Wireless Access: Linksys Wireless-N 300Mbps (Supports 802.11n/g/b)
Video Card(s): 3x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 1GB)
TV Tuner: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi FPS Fatal1ty Champion (Includes Front I/O Unit)
Extreme Cooling: Liquid Chilled FrostBite Dual Loop System for CPU & Triple Video Cards
Internal Lighting: Blizzard Internal Lighting (Blue Edition) (Cold Cathode Tubes)
Modifications: NVIDIA Enthusiast System Architecture (ESA) System (Install, Test, Optimize Computer)
CPU Boost: Yes, Overclock the processor as much as possible with complete stability
Graphics Boost: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Memory Boost: Yes, Overclock memory timings (Includes Memory Fan Kit Installed)
Windows Boost: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (64-Bit Edition) (For Enthusiasts)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: 3D Mark Vantage Advanced Edition (By: Futuremark) (Pre-Install) (Vista Compatible Only)
Pre-Install Game: Crysis (Pre-Install, apply updates, and test gameplay with my system)
LCD Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks my keyboard comes with a mouse
External Storage: - No Thanks
Warranty: 4 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty (Highly Recommended)

Sub-Total: $8,904.00
Tax: $691.60
S&H: Next Day Air $241.28
Grand Total: $9,836.88

Quote workingman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2008 at 8:52am
interesting ....i will keep looking for your results..and my rig was in the mid 70's.........didnt know they charged for shipping..that would make them more expensive than dso...but i guess you live in ca......you had to pay tax on your dso rig..as i would not..there is an advantage to living in hillbilly hell..lmao

Quote Nickdapimp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2008 at 8:54am
lol lucky. Ya I would be doing a large video on my youtube channel and also on my blog at http://nntech.wordpress.com/

MAINGEAR is on the EAST COAST and DSO on the WEST COAST.
MAINGEAR AND DSO do have there ups and downs. I don't know MAINGEAR for sure so once I get the rig im going to test the both and lets see what happens, i'll be cheering for DSO

Quote Nickdapimp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2008 at 8:56am
I like there marketing way of saying to "redline" stuff instead of boring overclock which scares people cause overclocking sometimes does go bad so ya...DSO take notes?

Quote workingman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2008 at 9:06am
I dont care if you call it extra zoom..lol..im more concerned with performance and stability...and im rooting for dso too...im not the enemy hereSmile

Quote Nickdapimp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2008 at 9:27am
Thats my profession. =)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>