FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Review

Post Date: 2008-10-06

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Gutter View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 06 Oct 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
  Quote Gutter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: My Review
    Posted: 06 Oct 2008 at 5:01pm

I visited DSO in person to pay for my computer. I met many of the people who work there, and it was a very good experience. The salesman Kelly was knowledgable and friendly, and assisted me in putting together a fine computer for gaming. I live very close to DSO, and also picked up the computer when it was ready.

My machine specs are:

QX9650 Core 2 Quad Extreme @ 3.0Ghz, 4GB OCZ Platinum DDR3, XFX 790i Ultra motherboard, 1200w PC Power & Cooling Pwrsup, Cooler Master HAF case, (2) XFX Geforce GTX 280's SLI, 300GB WD Raptor HDD, 500GB WD HDD, Windows Vista HP 64, Stage 3 Cooling, Razor Barracuda AC-1 Sound Card, and more...

An excellent performer, and I am very satisfied with my purchase. The company threw in the extra 500GB HDD because my machine went down $1000 in price just 3 days after I purchased it, and although it doesn't make up for that much money, it helped and I appreciate the freebie.
 
When I first started playing Crysis Warhead on my new machine, it would crash. Hard locked, without BSOD, just freeze with looping audio. At first I thought it was 64bit Vista. I played the games in 32bit compatibility mode, but it still crashed every time I played it. I installed a few other games, and ran benchmarks, and some of those crashed as well. I formatted the hard drive, went to Frys and bought Windows XP SP3, and installed it.
 
Crysis still crashed. I looked through the BIOS, and found that the tech who built the machine didn't set the speed of the ram to match the 1333mhz of the FSB. I manually changed it to LINK, and I have been crash free ever since. I even overclocked the machine to 3.6Ghz, ran some benchmarks and it didn't crash. (I put it back to stock speed however) It's now stable and runs excellent. No more crashes.
 
Overall I am very pleased with my new computer, albeit with the issues it had. Games play flawlessly now and I am one happy DSO customer. Thanks to all the techs who talked to me based on my emails and comments at the DSO site. Also, thank you Chris for the free RAM cooler!
 
...now, can somebody help me set up a DUAL BOOT? (I have Windows XP SP3 on my primary drive but I want Vista 64 on my secondary drive)...
 
Thank you DSO. I'm a customer for life.
 
-Mark
 
Back to Top
SunfighterLC View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran


Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1527
  Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2008 at 5:19pm

So you have 4GB of 1333 ram?

Whats your ratio at now that you linked the ram? 2:1?
E8500@ 4.03Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Logitech Z-2300 2.1 Speakers
Asus Xonar 7.1
Hanns-G HG 281D 28" HDMI Monitor
Back to Top
Gutter View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 06 Oct 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
  Quote Gutter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2008 at 5:33pm
The ram was labled as 1600Mhz.
 
Many sites report that the ram speed should match the FSB. In my case, it's correct, since my crashing stopped once I linked the FSB and ram.
Back to Top
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 36758
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2008 at 5:56pm
I've said it a million times match your ram speed to your FSB, unless you know what you are doing. otherwise its a waste but others like to recommend higher speeds.
Back to Top
SunfighterLC View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran


Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1527
  Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2008 at 7:38pm
Its only if your computer is crashing a lot do you have to try that..I mean my ram is unlinked and the ratio is wonky at like 6:10 or somewhere around there. Works perfectly fine =P
 
Sometimes i drop the CPU back down to 3.8 though just cause i like the 2:1 ratio better...
E8500@ 4.03Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Logitech Z-2300 2.1 Speakers
Asus Xonar 7.1
Hanns-G HG 281D 28" HDMI Monitor
Back to Top
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 36758
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2008 at 7:52pm
people that don't know how to OC should not be advised to get a 1600MHz ram anyways.
Back to Top
Gutter View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 06 Oct 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
  Quote Gutter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2008 at 9:48am

Uh...I can't help but wonder....are you referring to anyone particular?... I've been overclocking since the pentium II....

Back to Top
Gutter View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 06 Oct 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
  Quote Gutter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2008 at 9:50am
The only thing I've never done was a dual-boot...
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down



This page was generated in 0.0703125 seconds.