FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My second DS PC

Post Date: 2020-07-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
big bossman View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote big bossman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: My second DS PC
    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 2:42pm
I haven't posted in the forum for years, but now I am in the market for my 2nd Digital Storm PC. Please direct me if this posting is "out of format". Yesterday after consulting with a DS expert, I came up with the following configuration. It has Intel, but does anyone have expertise regards equivalent capacity of AMD offerings re handling of large graphic and video files?

Thanks so much in advance.

big bossman ("Can't you hear me when I call?"

Budget:
[$2200-$2600]

Expectations:
[Excellent machine, well built, durable, will run 2 very similar monitors]

Usage:
[I do a great deal of 3D rendering, After Effects, Photoshop/GIMP/Project Dogwaffle, Illustrator/Inkscape, DAZ Studio, etc. Often I stream while something is rendering (AE, DAZ, osv).]

Special Needs:
[A machine that can handle a frequently hot environment - home office in a Sacramento, CA house]

Saved Ticket #: [Please Type Here]

Specifications:
[3249520]

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 4:17am
I'm a gamer, so I have no experience doing the kind of work you want to be able perform reasonably well. But I also have been here awhile, and I've done a bit of research for varied uses. Generally speaking, for your use, the more cores and threads you can bring to bear will help you considerably more than speed.

The two most significant departures from what I would think of as a base system for rendering and editing is the paltry 16GB of RAM, and the total whiff on an NVMe M.2 SSD for primary drive. I absolutely know that the more RAM the merrier for much faster and cleaner rendering. There is a 512 GB Seagate M.2 NVMe SSD available for a mere $21 that is up to 5 times faster than the DS SATA SSD. That overlook is baffling.

It looks like your DS guy deliberately took you to $3000+ so you'd get an extra $100 discount, but he accomplished that by throwing in the appearance item of the purty fans instead of enhancing performance.

In shouting distance of that price point, you could actually get the upgrades I know would help, and base it on an AMD 3950X with 6 more cores, and 12 more threads. User Benchmark (website) says that proc is up to 39% faster in multi-core processing than the Intel part, and that's compared to a 10900X.

The config # of a possible other way to go is    3252906   . Cut and paste that into the "Load Config" window to have a look. $2784 after discount vs $2703. (Note it's a Lumos to save $. You can save more and get purty lites with a Lynx case!)

Edited by Cretae - 16 Jul 2020 at 4:34am
big bossman View Drop Down

Quote big bossman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 5:53pm
Hello Cretae,

I remember you gave me some good info when I got my first DS box. Thank you for your detailed response. I took a good look at your config 3252906. Seems to fit well. I had realized I should have more RAM, decided to go with 32GB minimum. Most of my use - @95% - is high resolution graphics and video with manipulations.   

The 512 GB Seagate M.2 NVMe SSD you mention - is that the same one in the config?

The H20 fans are the same in both configs - my original 3249520, which I see now I didn't post/paste correctly, and yours 3522906. Not sure if I want to jump to the next step up [+$213.00].

The AMD Rzen 9 3950X looks good so far, been searching that out.

The price showed $2984.00 on it and I guess there is a @$200.00 discount.

I'm going to keep searching for a day or so. At my age I'm very practiced at overlooking stuff, so always need to review. Hope you don't mind if I ask you something else as a result. Thank you.

big bossman
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 9:03pm
Go to Windows 10 Pro for an additional $45.00 and that puts you over $3,000 so you get an extra $100.00 off. It's like getting the upgrade and getting a bonus $55.00 off the real price you will pay.
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by John18

Go to Windows 10 Pro for an additional $45.00 and that puts you over $3,000 so you get an extra $100.00 off. It's like getting the upgrade and getting a bonus $55.00 off the real price you will pay.

Upgrade discount does not apply to software, we updated the configurator for that.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 3:22am
Important to know that about software.

@big bossman:

The Seagate Firecuda is the same one mentioned. The Seagates are new and don't have the track record the Samsungs have, but they are PCIe gen 4 parts, which are not supported on Intel yet, but AMD supports. That fact helps the Seagates' performance rise very near the excellent Samsungs' to where the difference is negligible.

You won't need upgraded fans IMO. Are you okay with the Lumos case? It has the best airflow here. I am very convinced that you will appreciate the improvement from a 3950X. Rendering benefits greatly from more cores, as every core gets a piece of the job, as I understand things. I think if you have that part as the heart of your rig, you can easily fine tune a thing or two as needed, and end up with a killer taskmaster.

It's so cool we have met before!
 Post Reply Post Reply