FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need 3D workstation PC

Post Date: 2018-12-20

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
QiMachine View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote QiMachine Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need 3D workstation PC
    Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 3:29pm
Hi all,

Budget:
I'm willing to spend extra for lack of headaches. Max budget around $3600.

Expectations:
Fast rendering, being able to open several programs simultaneously (see below) without significant slow-down.

Usage:
Primarily for 3D work - modeling in Zbrush, texturing in Mari, Rendering using Maya, comping in NUKE. Also asset creation using Allegorithmic's suite of programs (Substance Painter, designer), real-time rendering in Marmoset, Unreal etc.

Gaming is not a priority, just a nice bonus. Previous GPU was a 1070 GTX which was good for real-time work.   

Special Needs:
Good amount of storage space as these files can be pretty huge.

Saved Ticket #: 2158268

Specifications:
Chassis
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Slade PRO

Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) (16-Thread) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z390-P (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI Support)
System Memory: 64GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 750W Corsair RM750x (Fully Modular)

Storage / Connectivity
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (250GB Samsung 970 EVO) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 860 EVO)
Internet Access: Wireless PCI-E ASUS PCE-AC56 (Supports 802.11ac)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2070 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.7GHz on All CPU Cores

Appreciate any advice here.

Edited by QiMachine - 20 Dec 2018 at 3:31pm
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 12:42am
The Smart Guys® will be along shortly to help out.. but I'll ask first, What's your monitor resolution?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 4:20am
Well, I just have to give you a heads up. the 860 EVO is very pricy here just now. If you could order and install that on your own, you'd save enough to get a better motherboard, and a Corsair AIO cooler that would give you a 5 year warranty if you ever need one.

My preferred mobo is the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon. Just better in every way, and easier by far to deal with than Asus if the need arises. This warranty stuff comes up because the DS warranty is one year on parts. Name brand parts often have their own much longer coverage. Often the DS stress testing and the one year "shake down cruise" you get under full warranty from DS results in parts that just won't go down, but you should be ready to deal with a quality part maker if one does.

Everything else seems to set you up with a terrific number cruncher for what you do! BTW, the 860 EVO is on sale just now on Amazon for $147.

Hope it helps.

Almost forgot, the Corsair H 100i (240mm) would probably be a better fit in your case.

Edited by Cretae - 21 Dec 2018 at 4:23am
QiMachine View Drop Down

Quote QiMachine Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 6:13am
Originally posted by Snaike

The Smart Guys® will be along shortly to help out.. but I'll ask first, What's your monitor resolution?

I have a 4k monitor.

Originally posted by Cretae

Well, I just have to give you a heads up. the 860 EVO is very pricy here just now. If you could order and install that on your own, you'd save enough to get a better motherboard, and a Corsair AIO cooler that would give you a 5 year warranty if you ever need one.

My preferred mobo is the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon. Just better in every way, and easier by far to deal with than Asus if the need arises. This warranty stuff comes up because the DS warranty is one year on parts. Name brand parts often have their own much longer coverage. Often the DS stress testing and the one year "shake down cruise" you get under full warranty from DS results in parts that just won't go down, but you should be ready to deal with a quality part maker if one does.

Everything else seems to set you up with a terrific number cruncher for what you do! BTW, the 860 EVO is on sale just now on Amazon for $147.

Hope it helps.

Almost forgot, the Corsair H 100i (240mm) would probably be a better fit in your case.

Awesome, that helps a lot. Thank you so much!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 6:57am
My pleasure.
Acetylide View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Acetylide Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 1:17pm
I haven't used those particular programs for rendering, but if you're working with complex scenes and doing CPU-based renders, you might want to consider an AMD Threadripper system.

I do mostly still-renders in Daz using Iray, which requires Nvidia graphics cards and is mainly dependent on VRAM and CUDA-cores. If the card doesn't have enough VRAM for a scene, it gets kicked off to the CPU and dramatically increases render time. Fortunately, you probably don't need to worry about this.
SnowandSand View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SnowandSand Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2018 at 12:03am
Originally posted by QiMachine

Originally posted by Snaike

I have a 4k monitor.

Originally posted by Cretae

Hope it helps.

Awesome, that helps a lot. Thank you so much!

SSDs have come way down in price lately
Hailstorm II(Retired)
R7 2700x
16GB Team Dark Pro @ 3200 CL14
Asus x470 CH VII Hero
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W PSU
250GB Samsung 850 EVO
1TB & 6TB WD - Black Edition
2x GTX 980TI Strix
Hydrolux Stage 3
 Post Reply Post Reply