FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need a new LCD monitor (24 ")

Post Date: 2012-11-12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
daveyd View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote daveyd Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need a new LCD monitor (24 ")
    Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 5:56pm
I want to buy a new LCD monitor soon (ideally 23 to 24 inch) and would greatly appreciate some recommendations.  I use my monitor with my gaming PC and also with my PS3. 

I would like a native resolution of 1920 x 1080 (I'd consider 1920 x 1200 although it seems like many PC games don't support this res anyway).

Basically I just want a reliable monitor that will look great.  

Budget is $350 but of course, the lower the better.   Ideally I'd like a monitor with both DVI and HDMI ports but either is sufficient.

Thanks in advance.
jseidel View Drop Down

Quote jseidel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 6:31pm
I have an HP 2311x and am very happy with it. It has all the requirements you specify. I have used it with both the DVI and HDMI connectors and it works perfectly either way.
Excellent picture quality.
HP2311x at Amazon
J.
Asangard View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Asangard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 8:58pm
While I don't have direct experience with the HP 2311x, it does get high marks for a TN panel monitor, but it is still a TN panel.  Many of here use one of the Dell Ultra Sharp monitors which have an IPS panel.  IPS panels have better viewing angles and display colors much better. I personally have one of the older Dell UltraSharps (U2410).  I have had many different TN panels in the past I don't think I will ever go back to a TN panel. 

Many here have the Dell UltraSharp U2312HM.  Dell still makes the U2410 but it costs over $500.

Here is a side by side comparison between the HP 2311x, U2312HM and the U2412M

2 things not shown in the specs for the HP 2311x is the panel type and viewing angle.  I found them elswhere.  Panel type as stated above is TN and view angels are 170/160 (really good for TN type panel).
All evil comes from within,
Not from Without,
Therefore, the 1st step on the Holy Warrior path,
Is to recognize thyself as thy 1st enemy.

sdwas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sdwas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 12:01pm
I've been happy with a TN panel monitor, but I'm not the most discerning user out there. I'm not sure how this HP compares to the Dell, but this appears to be a great deal on a 24" IPS monitor (includes 3 year limited warranty) - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/853086-REG/HP_Hewlett_Packard_XW477A8_ABA_ZR2440w_24_0_LED_Backlit.html
ODE Level 0
Intel Core i5 2500K CPU
8GB 1600MHz Memory
NVIDIA GTX 750 TI (originally GTX 560)
 Post Reply Post Reply