FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need Advice for my Lumos Build

Post Date: 2020-06-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mofeir View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mofeir Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need Advice for my Lumos Build
    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 1:50pm
I’m finally making the switch from Xbox to PC to play Apex competitively. With that being said I want a PC that can reliable run at 240 FPS with a 240 Hz monitor on lower settings. Will this PC be able to reliable do that? This build almost tops out my budget, but I have a little wiggle room. Any suggestions you guys have on how to improve this build without breaking the bank would be greatly appreciated. Also is overclocking the GPU a good idea or will it cause it to overheat?

Digital Storm Lumos

CORE COMPONENTS
Processor: Intel Core i7-10700K (5.1 GHz Turbo) (16-Thread) (8-Core) 3.8 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XII Hero (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z490 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series

Power Supply: 850W Corsair / EVGA / Thermaltake (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)

STORAGE / CONNECTIVITY
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
More Info
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet / Network Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

MULTIMEDIA
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
More Info
HPC Processor: - No Thanks

ENGINEERING
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - White - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LL Series (RGB Fans) (Software Controlled Effects)
Chassis Mod's: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available

OVERCLOCKING
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.7GHz on All CPU Cores
Graphics Boost: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
GrandesBollas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 3:22pm
I'm a big fan of my Lumos. You will absolutely love it! That said, you really didn't provide the upper cost limit. I know that is important, as is your need to competitively game. The items that crossed my radar screen were the CPU and GPU. With mild daily overclocks, the DSD CLC should be fine. The Lumos case is well ventilated so needing liquid cooling for the GPU is not a deciding factor.

The motherboard you chose is top of the line and will support your needs down the immediate road should you decide later (like next year) to upgrade your CPU.

The Intel CPUs were heavily benchmarked by Gamers Nexus. From the collection, the 10700K tends to run in the middle of the pack:

I'm not sure where Apex falls in both screen resolution (assuming 1080p for competition), but Gamers Nexus offers a variety of game types. Here is a link to the whole video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UMMPjqLe8g

Being that this intended for competition, and that your livelihood may be involved, I would personnaly go for the 10900K. I would leave the 2080 Super to guard against any potential GPU bottlenecks due to the high refresh rate. CPU bottlenecking would be my biggest concern.
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 6:22pm
Look up my photos of my Lumos. It is essentially the same that you are buying except for the MB and I chose the 1Tb Firecuda.
ThePinkGoat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ThePinkGoat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 7:33pm
Your Hard Drive is way to small. The updates for your video card will be gigs sometimes. I have the 500 and really wish I went the extra mile for the 1 TB.

Do it, you will thank yourself after you see what's left when you install your games or whatever you do =)
GrandesBollas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 7:44pm
Along the lines with what ThePinkGoat mentioned, think about how you plan to use all of your hard drives (HDD and SSD). Most of the time, people use the NVME as the boot/OS drive. 500 gb is the smallest I would recommend. Even then, that drive tends to fill up with Windows related junk-ware. A lot of your drivers, and special files for your games get installed to that drive (e.g., Chrome must be installed on the C-drive).

That leaves the HDD as your game storage/data storage drive. These drives can be extremely slow in both downloading as well as playing games. 2 TB is fine for a game drive. My personal configuration had a 500 GB NVME boot drive; a 1 TB NVME data drive (I keep my C-drive images stored); and a 2 TB SATA SSD (for games). If I had more time, and actually picked up streaming, I would get a large HDD for storage of raw video footage as well as completed projects.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 5:20am
I respectfully disagree about 500GB being small for a primary drive. I don't game competitively, but it's mostly what I do. My 500GB NVMe (464 actual after Samsung's set-aside for garbage collection) has 253GB free after 2 1/2 years. 123Gb of the used is just games. So Ive filled up ~85GB with "Windows related junk-ware". What I have is a lean, mean primary drive that performs scans in seconds, and has ~ 350GB+ for games. If you do get a larger NVMe for primary drive, at least partition it so you can have that speed of operation of your essential services.
 Post Reply Post Reply