FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need Advice For PC Build

Post Date: 2018-11-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JTF1972 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JTF1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need Advice For PC Build
    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 3:56pm
I really need help building a pc from digital storm. I have no clue at picking out what type of hardware I need so I come here in need of advice of the experts.

Budget:
[$2000-$2500 - I won't need a monitor, keyboard mouse or speakers. I'm currently using my Sony Bravia 4K TV as my monitor, and use my Hauppauge Gaming PVR capture device to watch TV while I am online, surfing the web.]

Expectations:
[Would like this new PC to have a fast boot up time, help with encoding video faster, and a really good graphics card for future gaming. I also need the pc to handle multitasks. I've noticed with this current PC I am on when I try to do multitask, especially video encoding I almost max out my ram]

Usage:
[I basically use my current pc for live streaming, video editing, and encoding. Other than that listening to music and surfing the web. I'm new to PC Gaming, I've mainly done all of my gaming via consoles, so I'd want the right hardware to provide the best results in PC Gaming ]

Special Needs: I have a fairly large Music and Movie collection so my secondary storage unit would have to be fairly large. I do have some Western Digital My Cloud Devices I am storing those files on. However, I need space for when I capture live video and encode it. I don't want to store that stuff on the SSD no more than I have to.

There are a couple of the PCs I'm looking on the website.

1.)"Lumos" with this configuration but it's a bit over my budget and if its possible to get it down a bit towards my budget with different parts I'd probably go with it. It is my preferred choice.

Configuration # 1775818

2.) "VANQUISH 7" - This is another one I looked at that I feel good about.

Configuration # 2103479

Thanks in Advance,
JT

Edited by JTF1972 - 30 Nov 2018 at 10:54am
Bootystank911 View Drop Down

Quote Bootystank911 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Dec 2018 at 3:42am
Hey, i know this is late just caught wind of your post. Did you already purchase a desktop?
BootyStank911
JTF1972 View Drop Down

Quote JTF1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 10:05am
No, not yet, I planned on calling DS today to make a purchase. This is what I have configured. It's slightly over my budget but if I can get it lower I'd greatly appreciate it with anyone's advice.

Lumos - Configuration # 2131910
Bootystank911 View Drop Down

Quote Bootystank911 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 11:16am
Ok so i looked at both builds. Just my opinion, The vanquish 7 will give you everything that the lumos will, Best choice. I particularly had to upgrade the lumos b350 chip to the x470 because the b350 is now a generation behind the x470. You would need to updgrade that system more*, like the power supply needs to match the graphics card, and a 2nd m.2 ssd card to truely see a RAID usage of the PCIe 2x slots.. Sorry to say but the more expensive Lumos unit needs to be !MOAR EXPENSIVE! To balance out the lower end / last generation parts. The 2700x chip can be downgraded to save movey, also with the 2080 to 2070. but the RTX 2080 would underperform without The 2700x would go to waste with a standard motherboard, a single M.2SSD chip, theres alot that just leaves you on more of the "what if you added" notion and the fact that it cost $3000 vs $1800 that basically competes with it head to head except the graphics card. Sooo the Vanquish wins in my opinion

Edited by Bootystank911 - 03 Jan 2019 at 11:33am
BootyStank911
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 11:21am
Hey JTF1972...Welcome to the forums. I noticed your config has a solid RTX 2080 video card, but the 600 watt power supply won’t be enough to power that card. You’ll need to bump up to the 700 watt as the RTX 2080 requires minimum 650 watts. You could fall back to the RTX 2070 card and stay with the 600 watt PSU if the RTX 2070 would still meet your video encoding needs, and save some money. Some of the savings could help get you a little roomier 500 TB Samsung Evo M2 drive or bump up the motherboard choice and still reduce your total build price a bit.   
JTF1972 View Drop Down

Quote JTF1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 12:08pm
Thanks for the input Bootystank911 and HockeyBuck...

I seriously may go with the Vanquish now since the Lumos, I'd have to put more money into it. Right now it isn't cost feasible in my budget.

With the Vanquish is my configuration the best it offers with all of the hardware?

Ok, Since I am such a noob at these pc builds and the hardware that goes into them... could you help me out with configurations so when I order my pc I'll have everything right... More or less I'm saying build it like you would do it if you were me :)

Thanks,
JT

Edited by JTF1972 - 03 Jan 2019 at 12:27pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 1:01pm
Config # 2187775 comes in at $2682 with all your original Lumos choices but dropping to RTX 2070 video card and increasing m2 storage to a 500 TB Samsung Evo. Total is reduced $267 from your orig Lumos config, and you have the 32 TB RAM I suspect you will likely need for video encoding tasks.

If you go with a top level Vanquish 7 build, you would have to ask DS about bumping up the RAM to 32 TB.....
JTF1972 View Drop Down

Quote JTF1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 1:13pm
Many Thanks HockeyBuck!

Will Be making a decision in a couple of days of which direction I'm going to go with.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 1:24pm
Sure! Everyone says that RTX 2070 is kinda the sweet spot of the RTX cards and can run just about everything so you wouldn’t lose much to switch that, and a bigger C drive is a big plus. Let us know what you decide!   
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 5:06am
For your use, the Vanquish route would require that you purchase and install 32 GB of RAM. You would receive 2x 4GB sticks from DS in two of 4 slots, so to get to 32GB, you'd have to buy new. That would run you somewhere between$200-350 depending on what you picked. Ram is super easy to install, just snap the sticks into place and you're done.

There's still abit of savings left in the custom build from HockeyBuck. You could Save another $112 getting the 250GB 970 EVO. All you really need on that super-fast C drive is your OS, productivity apps and maintenance software like CCleaner and Malwarebytes. When you had the need for it, you could then shop for a Samsung 1TB SATA SSD for all your other fast-loading games and apps. They are currently $147 on Amazon, so you'd end up with 1.25TB od SSD storage for just $35 more than the 500TB 970 EVO.

The other place obviously is $139 for the cool fans. You could probably get something like that online when you had the $. Just replace what's there. Screw the fans into place and connect each to the same place the originals came from.

Total savings from Hockeybuck's build: $252=$2430

Just thought I'd lay out your options.
JTF1972 View Drop Down

Quote JTF1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 7:07am
Cretae,

Thanks for your input and advice as well!

A while back I had a custom pc built for me that had an SSD as my OS drive. If i remember correctly it only had a 250GB SSD drive on it. I loved the fact of the fast boot up time so I definitely want to have that.

Me purchasing the Vanquish, you're saying I will need 32GB of RAM No Matter what?

I have terrible knowledge of what would be the best option to go with buying RAM. I have watched people build custom pcs online installing things like motherboards, RAM, HD/SSD. It looks very simple, I just afraid I'd find a way to fry one lol.

On that custom build, HockeyBuck provided I'll have to take a look at it and see what I should do. Any savings I can come up within a build is good for me and my budget

Edited by JTF1972 - 04 Jan 2019 at 7:58am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 12:28pm
I think Cretae was referencing the 32GB ram in your original build, assuming you felt the need for it with video encoding, etc.   For gaming, 16Gb is good.   What your encoding needs depends on your usage, programs, etc.    

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 7:53am
Like bprat22 said. You could stick with the 8 GB that comes with your rig and see how it goes for you. It's enough for gaming right now. IMHO, you might be dissatisfied with the ability of that configuration to multi-task to your demands and to render encoding as quickly as you'd like. But those are surely subjective perceptions left up to you. You didn't specify how much RAM you're coming from, and the overall speed boost you're going to get from the whole package might be enough difference to please you for awhile.

Video rendering and multi-tasking are RAM dependent functions. At some point, it's my guess you'll want to raise that 8GB starter set. The advice is to get 8GB sticks to replace the 4GB sticks that come with your computer. Although it's possible under the best of circumstances to mix capacities, there are more potential problems than it's worth. You could get just two 8 GB sticks at first (for 16GB total) and see how that works for you. Pulling RAM and installing new is just about the easiest thing you can do. As you've seen on the demos, they just click into the slots, and that's about it. You want to be sure your rig is unplugged, and you've touched something metal on your case so you're grounded. Then check in the BIOS to make sure it sees the total you put in to make sure they're seated properly.

You want DDR4, but the speed rating isn't that critical. Price goes up as speed goes up. DS uses 3000 MHz RAM as their standard set. If you get some now, and some later, you'll want to get the very same kind for best results and no hassles.

You could also opt for 16 GB on the Lumos build and save another $221 on that one.

Hope that's clear.    
JTF1972 View Drop Down

Quote JTF1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 10:18am
Right now the current PC I'm using is an HP Pavillion

with a i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.41 Ghz with 16GB of RAM

It's not bad for a store bought PC it gets the job done for what I want to do. However, I want to be able to handle multitasking a little bit better and when I encode video I don't want it to max out my CPU.

So I have a hard decision to make on what model i want to go with here..

A VANQUISH 7 or LUMOS

Thanks for all your input on this stuff.

Funny thing is with me I can solve almost any pc issue with viruses and other things. When it comes to building and hardware that goes into one I feel like an idiot
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 6:31pm
Yeh it looks like 32GB of RAM is in your future for sure. All the best.
 Post Reply Post Reply