FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need Advice on Building a New PC

Post Date: 2020-07-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
oliviachristina View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote oliviachristina Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need Advice on Building a New PC
    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 5:44am
Budget: $2250
Needs:
- Gaming (COD Warzone/Multiplayer, CSGO, PUBG, and Minecraft)
- Possibility of Streaming
- Video/Photo Editing

I’ve been using a PC for about two years and it doesn’t fit my needs anymore. Not only do frames lag but it excessively overheats after about an hour or two of gaming. I would also like to play my games at decent graphics settings instead of having to set everything on low/disabled in order to get good frames. I am wanting to use around a 20-25 inch monitor that has a 240hz refresh rate in order to have a good response time and reduced input lag. Also, I would like the PC to have room for upgrading in the future. Please let me know which build I should start with and what hardware would be best suitable for me.

Edited by oliviachristina - 29 Jul 2020 at 5:45am

Quote oliviachristina Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 5:49am
Budget: $2250
Needs:
- Gaming (COD Warzone/Multiplayer, CSGO, PUBG, and Minecraft)
- Possibility of Streaming
- Video/Photo Editing

I’ve been using a PC for about two years and it doesn’t fit my needs anymore. Not only do frames lag but it excessively overheats after about an hour or two of gaming. I would also like to play my games at decent graphics settings instead of having to set everything on low/disabled in order to get good frames. I am wanting to use around a 20-25 inch monitor that has a 240hz refresh rate in order to have a good response time and reduced input lag. Also, I would like the PC to have room for upgrading in the future. Please let me know which build I should start with and what hardware would be best suitable for me.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 7:03am
.. merged threads ..
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 3:41am
i'd suggest you read through some of the newer build threads we've been discussing the last week or so here.

as for tailoring things: 

1. how heavy into editing are you going?  do you intend to use it professionally for work?  large file stuff?  multi projects?  things like that for heavy workstation type usage?

2.  for streaming you can set up your proc to dedicate cores to streaming and the rest for yourself.  there are programs you can dl to auto tune this for you.  as for hardware in the build, it depends on the types of games you intend to stream, but for a mid range budget build prob an AMD solution like a 3600X or Intel I5 10600k for about a 10% performance gain at +22% more cost. 

3.  remember to budget around the monitor price.  here's an example>https://www.walmart.com/ip/MSI-Optix-MAG251RX-24-5-Full-HD-LED-Gaming-LCD-Monitor-16-9/443194169?irgwc=1&sourceid=imp_3%3AgScIQH6xyOUetwUx0Mo36BUkiWuez0K2QwXc0&veh=aff&wmlspartner=imp_1442478&clickid=3%3AgScIQH6xyOUetwUx0Mo36BUkiWuez0K2QwXc0&sharedid=

for graphics an RTX 2060 Super or 2070 should do well for you. 

get a 32GB RAM kit.  power supply in the 700-watt range.  you'll have to figure out what features you need on a mobo. 

Edited by db188 - 30 Jul 2020 at 3:47am
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 4:12am
I'd suggest you think about a custom Lynx build at your budget. You save on the case, but get "free" bling in the bargain.

I'd recommend an AMD 3700X and the stock mobo. 16GB of RAM unless you are going to be intensely editing a lot, then 32GB. The DS is good quality.

I like the AMD build for you as it pairs well with the PCIe Gen 4 Seagate Firecuda M.2 NVMe SSD. An NVMe is about 5 times faster than any SATA SSD, and will be a game-changer in everything you do. It's a must-have.

I don't know what you want from a 240Hz monitor, but a 2070 SUPER will help you get fairly close with a few adjustments. If you want more, instead of stretching the budget, I'd wait until the new Nvidia cards come in September.

A build like that is here:

3282085      At $2000+ there is a $200 discount.

Cut and paste in the "Load Config" window from the main Forum page, upper right.

Quote oliviachristina Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 10:53am
Originally posted by db188

i'd suggest you read through some of the newer build threads we've been discussing the last week or so here.
 as for tailoring things: 
1. how heavy into editing are you going?  do you intend to use it professionally for work?  large file stuff?  multi projects?  things like that for heavy workstation type usage?
2.  for streaming you can set up your proc to dedicate cores to streaming and the rest for yourself.  there are programs you can dl to auto tune this for you.  as for hardware in the build, it depends on the types of games you intend to stream, but for a mid range budget build prob an AMD solution like a 3600X or Intel I5 10600k for about a 10% performance gain at +22% more cost. 
3.  remember to budget around the monitor price.  here's an example>https://www.walmart.com/ip/MSI-Optix-MAG251RX-24-5-Full-HD-LED-Gaming-LCD-Monitor-16-9/443194169?irgwc=1&sourceid=imp_3%3AgScIQH6xyOUetwUx0Mo36BUkiWuez0K2QwXc0&veh=aff&wmlspartner=imp_1442478&clickid=3%3AgScIQH6xyOUetwUx0Mo36BUkiWuez0K2QwXc0&sharedid=
get a 32GB RAM kit.  power supply in the 700-watt range.  you'll have to figure out what features you need on a mobo. 

1. No heavy workstation stuff, just Microsoft docs and such. As for photo/video editing, I will be using Photoshop and Premiere Pro for fun and nothing serious.
2. Streaming is not much of a priority right now, gaming is what I really want to focus on. I want to future proof this build as much as possible (even if that means spending some more $) so I saw a few articles that said Intel 10th gen would be better for that instead of AMD. I know Intel is more expensive but from what I've read it seems Intel still comes on top when it comes to overall bang for your buck. I'd like to know your opinion on the whole debate though and what you would suggest based on what I've said.
3. The monitor isn't included in the budget so price doesn't matter. Also is there any specific reason you suggest a 700W power supply instead of 850W? On that note, would you suggest air or liquid cooling?

Quote oliviachristina Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 11:01am
Originally posted by Cretae

I'd suggest you think about a custom Lynx build at your budget. You save on the case, but get "free" bling in the bargain.

I'd recommend an AMD 3700X and the stock mobo. 16GB of RAM unless you are going to be intensely editing a lot, then 32GB. The DS is good quality.

I like the AMD build for you as it pairs well with the PCIe Gen 4 Seagate Firecuda M.2 NVMe SSD. An NVMe is about 5 times faster than any SATA SSD, and will be a game-changer in everything you do. It's a must-have.

I don't know what you want from a 240Hz monitor, but a 2070 SUPER will help you get fairly close with a few adjustments. If you want more, instead of stretching the budget, I'd wait until the new Nvidia cards come in September.

A build like that is here:

3282085      At $2000+ there is a $200 discount.

Cut and paste in the "Load Config" window from the main Forum page, upper right.
Thanks for your input. Along with what I mentioned to @db188, I've seen a lot of info that supports Intel over AMD for performance and for future proofing. Other than pairing it with the PCIe Gen 4 Seagate Firecuda M.2, is there any other reason you'd choose AMD over Intel? And if not, what Intel config would you suggest and what would you pair it with?

I currently game on a 60Hz display and I experience a lot of frame drops, so I figured 240Hz would be best since I really don't want to have the same issues with this new PC. If you think it's completely unnecessary though, I'd like to know your opinion and what you would suggest instead.

P.S. I'm open to increasing budget as well (where necessary), monitor is not included in the budget btw.
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 9:33pm
IMO 144 FPS is all you need, 240 FPS would be overkill.

Do you want 1440p or 1080p? If 1080p a 2060 Super will be all you need. If 1440p an argument can be made for the 2070 Super. If the budget can handle the 2070 Super that would be my choice.

You will also probably want an IPS monitor because of the photo/video. I have used LG for a few years and have a new LG 27GL850 which is G-Sync Compatible. It was about $500.00 at Best Buy a few months ago. It is a 1440p monitor and runs at 144Hz. The IPS monitor I have has a 4ms response time. It is fine for all the games that I play.

Cretae likely recommended the AMD CPU because you mentioned photo. The AMD had more cores. Personally I went with the i7-9700K (now an i7-10700K).

Did that help?

db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 3:48am
Originally posted by oliviachristina

as for tailoring things: 

1. No heavy workstation stuff, just Microsoft docs and such. As for photo/video editing, I will be using Photoshop and Premiere Pro for fun and nothing serious.
2. Streaming is not much of a priority right now, gaming is what I really want to focus on. I want to future proof this build as much as possible (even if that means spending some more $) so I saw a few articles that said Intel 10th gen would be better for that instead of AMD. I know Intel is more expensive but from what I've read it seems Intel still comes on top when it comes to overall bang for your buck. I'd like to know your opinion on the whole debate though and what you would suggest based on what I've said.
3. The monitor isn't included in the budget so price doesn't matter. Also is there any specific reason you suggest a 700W power supply instead of 850W? On that note, would you suggest air or liquid cooling?

well, unless you need to config around a prosumer heavy workstation load you don't need to invest in 10+core procs and tons of system memory. 

"bang for buck" actually means "value" or the cost per exertion, so in the Intel vs AMD decision you can actually find more "value" or "bang for buck" with AMD while you can get more bleeding edge performance-at a price premium-with Intel procs. 

in regard to power supplies, a high efficiency unit 80 or 90+ % (at 20%, 50%, and 100% load), requires less power draw from the wall, so you save on your electricity bill.  wattage is the most obvious place to start.  you aren't always going to be drawing peak wattage, in fact most of the time you won't be (the system will idle around 100-watts of power draw).  you're prob looking at around 200-watts of power draw for everyday usage.  gaming is where you'll see the power draw jump up. 

the graphics will be the biggest hog.  over clocking can increase the power req not only for the increased power going to the proc but also the additional cooling load it requires to keep it from thermal throttling.  you want your psu to handle PEAK power draw, so that's what you base your purchase on.  if you keep your pc on all of the time or spend a lot of time playing games, a more efficient psu is something to consider.  a more efficient psu also generates less heat. 

personally, i don't buy psu's that aren't rated at least 80 Plus Gold.  my Aventum 3 has a Corsair HX1000i 80 Plus Platinum certified psu in it.  $240 though but i've got 2x980ti's+an I7-6700k under water and overclocked.   

recommended system power for a 2080ti is 650W.  so you can see 850W psu is overkill for a single card solution. 

cooling-i think for most people either a good air cooler or closed loop AIO LC is fine.  these are capable of modest overclocking if desired.  nothing beats a custom LC loop for containing high temps and suppressing noise at the same time.  they are expensive and maintenance intensive and generally not needed for most people.

Edited by db188 - 31 Jul 2020 at 3:53am
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 3:58am
Originally posted by John18

Do you want 1440p or 1080p? If 1080p a 2060 Super will be all you need. If 1440p an argument can be made for the 2070 Super. If the budget can handle the 2070 Super that would be my choice.

You will also probably want an IPS monitor because of the photo/video. I have used LG for a few years and have a new LG 27GL850 which is G-Sync Compatible. It was about $500.00 at Best Buy a few months ago. It is a 1440p monitor and runs at 144Hz. The IPS monitor I have has a 4ms response time. It is fine for all the games that I play.

Cretae likely recommended the AMD CPU because you mentioned photo. The AMD had more cores. Personally I went with the i7-9700K (now an i7-10700K).

Did that help?

hertz isn't the same thing as frames per second.  it's referencing the refresh rate of the monitor not how many frames your pc can draw per second.  the gpu outputs FPS.  how the two relate is when you have a gpu that's really fast and outputting high frame rates with a slow monitor you'll start seeing visual artifacts on the monitor, like tearing. 

tftcentral has a good primer on all the panel specs>https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/specs.htm

Edited by db188 - 31 Jul 2020 at 4:03am
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K

Quote oliviachristina Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 4:04am
Originally posted by John18

Did that help?

Thank you for your input, I appreciate as many opinions as I can get. Why did you choose Intel over AMD?

Quote oliviachristina Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 4:12am

as for tailoring things: 

well, unless you need to config around a prosumer heavy workstation load you don't need to invest in 10+core procs and tons of system memory. 
"bang for buck" actually means "value" or the cost per exertion, so in the Intel vs AMD decision you can actually find more "value" or "bang for buck" with AMD while you can get more bleeding edge performance-at a price premium-with Intel procs. 
in regard to power supplies, a high efficiency unit 80 or 90+ % (at 20%, 50%, and 100% load), requires less power draw from the wall, so you save on your electricity bill.  wattage is the most obvious place to start.  you aren't always going to be drawing peak wattage, in fact most of the time you won't be (the system will idle around 100-watts of power draw).  you're prob looking at around 200-watts of power draw for everyday usage.  gaming is where you'll see the power draw jump up. 
the graphics will be the biggest hog.  over clocking can increase the power req not only for the increased power going to the proc but also the additional cooling load it requires to keep it from thermal throttling.  you want your psu to handle PEAK power draw, so that's what you base your purchase on.  if you keep your pc on all of the time or spend a lot of time playing games, a more efficient psu is something to consider.  a more efficient psu also generates less heat. 
personally, i don't buy psu's that aren't rated at least 80 Plus Gold.  my Aventum 3 has a Corsair HX1000i 80 Plus Platinum certified psu in it.  $240 though but i've got 2x980ti's+an I7-6700k under water and overclocked.    
recommended system power for a 2080ti is 650W.  so you can see 850W psu is overkill for a single card solution. 
cooling-i think for most people either a good air cooler or closed loop AIO LC is fine.  these are capable of modest overclocking if desired.  nothing beats a custom LC loop for containing high temps and suppressing noise at the same time.  they are expensive and maintenance intensive and generally not needed for most people.

Taking everything you’re saying into consideration, it seems like you angle more towards AMD. What you have attached is an Intel build, what AMD build would you suggest?
I spend around 8-10 hours playing games every day so a more efficient psu is definitely what I would want.
When you say something is overkill, do you mean completely unnecessary or just more expensive? I wouldn’t want something that won’t be utilized but I don’t mind paying for better quality, even if it is a little more pricey.
Also I am a complete noob with all of this so I appreciate the time you’re taking to explain everything. And If I refer to anything wrong please let me know haha

Quote oliviachristina Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 4:14am

as for tailoring things: 

Taking everything you’re saying into consideration, it seems like you angle more towards AMD. What you have attached is an Intel build, what AMD build would you suggest?
I spend around 8-10 hours playing games every day so a more efficient psu is definitely what I would want.
When you say something is overkill, do you mean completely unnecessary or just more expensive? I wouldn’t want something that won’t be utilized but I don’t mind paying for better quality, even if it is a little more pricey.
Also I am a complete noob with all of this so I appreciate the time you’re taking to explain everything. And If I refer to anything wrong please let me know haha
Whoops after reading everything again I’m assuming the build attached is what you have. Any way you could do one for me?
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 4:48am
i just put this together in another thread:

Item 1 --- Digital Storm Lynx (Config # 3284425)
$1,809.00
$1,809.00
Chassis
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lynx

Core Components
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X (6-Core) 4.4 GHz Turbo

Motherboard: ASUS PRIME X570-P (AMD X570 Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI Support)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 600W Digital Storm Performance Series (Supports up to an NVIDIA RTX 2070 GPU)

Storage / Connectivity
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series)

Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready)

Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: AMD Standard Factory Heat-sink and Fan

HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Digital Storm Performance Series (RGB Fans)

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking

Software
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)

Accessories / Goodies

Customer Care
Priority Build: - No Thanks, 6 Week Ship Estimate After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

if you plan to game on a 240Hz monitor under 27 inches that is 1080p resolution i'd stick with the 2060 Super.  if you plan to game on a 240Hz monitor that is 27 inches or more, you're gonna want to scale up the resolution to 1440p and then i'd suggest upgrading the graphics to the 2070 Super.

i kept the HD incl in the build so that you can put all of you pics and docs on  that drive and keep the OS+most played games on your NVMe SSD.

ask DS if they have any B450 MSI motherboards you can use in the build over the X570 to save even more money.  you don't need X570 unless for some reason you plan to use multiple graphics cards. 

the stock coolers that come with the AMD procs in the box are good cooler actually and capable of even some minor overclocking.  so, i just went with that.

Edited by db188 - 31 Jul 2020 at 4:52am
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 5:04am
This seems to be getting murky.

> The whole discussion about the best choice for a PSU is moot, as DS does not offer a "sweet spot" 700W power supply. It's 600W or 850W. IMO, the 600W may be too restricting for future needs. Some extra overhead in a PSU is not a bad thing.

>I did not suggest a 10 core proc, the 3700X (8 cores), is only about 10% less than the Intel 10700K except something more than $100 cheaper here. That's "bang for buck". That's why I chose it. If your budget is more flexible, Intel is the best there is for gaming.

Here's an Intel build:

3284439       $2144 after discount.

If you have more to spend, you can get a Lumos Case, but lose your "purty lites" unless you get the Corsairs for $279. The GPU is the best you would want for 1080p. 240FPS is for competitive gamers. Plenty of 144 FPS 1080p monitors out there. 1440p costs a whole lot more in both monitor and GPU.

Here's a great deal on a 144Hz 1080p from a brand name:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Monitor-Refresh-FREESYNC-Technology/dp/B075KFPJ5C/?tag=wpcentralb-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUdUnU61508YYwYd

Keep asking until we deliver. It's what we do here.

Edited by Cretae - 31 Jul 2020 at 5:05am

Quote oliviachristina Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 9:03am

> The whole discussion about the best choice for a PSU is moot, as DS does not offer a "sweet spot" 700W power supply. It's 600W or 850W. IMO, the 600W may be too restricting for future needs. Some extra overhead in a PSU is not a bad thing.

>I did not suggest a 10 core proc, the 3700X (8 cores), is only about 10% less than the Intel 10700K except something more than $100 cheaper here. That's "bang for buck". That's why I chose it. If your budget is more flexible, Intel is the best there is for gaming.

Here's an Intel build:

If you have more to spend, you can get a Lumos Case, but lose your "purty lites" unless you get the Corsairs for $279. The GPU is the best you would want for 1080p. 240FPS is for competitive gamers. Plenty of 144 FPS 1080p monitors out there. 1440p costs a whole lot more in both monitor and GPU.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Monitor-Refresh-FREESYNC-Technology/dp/B075KFPJ5C/?tag=wpcentralb-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUdUnU61508YYwYd

Thanks for your response.

I’d honestly rather spend the extra money on an 850W PSU if that means less worrying in the near future, so I appreciate that info.

I’ve asked about the 10th gen Intel proc but haven’t gotten a clear answer yet. In regards to it, I’ve seen some articles that say the 10th gen are best for future proofing which is something I’d really like. What is your opinion on that?

I’m not invested in the “purty lites” whatsoever haha. Also thanks for mentioning the difference between 1080p and 1440p, I didn’t realize it would make such a drastic cost change. In that case, I’d rather go with 1080p
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 11:17am
The i7 10700K is my choice for a processor that could easily be a solid gamer for eight or so years, assuming it holds up. No particular reason why it wouldn't. Intel procs that go that long are quite common on these Forums. Why I picked it for the above build. You don't need that much power now or soon, but eventually as games get more demanding, it may be very helpful. More cores mean nothing for gaming, and I worry an i5 or a 6 core AMD might not be enough more than a few years out.
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 12:11pm
Olivia, good luck with your rig. I'll stop commenting now.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 4:56pm

Here's an Intel build:

just trying to educate as well as offer build advice.  they used to have more options once upon a time, i wonder if this is due to the recent supply problems or if this is a general shift that began sometime when i left these forums?
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 5:03pm

The i7 10700K is my choice for a processor that could easily be a solid gamer for eight or so years, assuming it holds up. No particular reason why it wouldn't. Intel procs that go that long are quite common on these Forums. Why I picked it for the above build. You don't need that much power now or soon, but eventually as games get more demanding, it may be very helpful. More cores mean nothing for gaming, and I worry an i5 or a 6 core AMD might not be enough more than a few years out.
and here we are-what 12 years later since the big push for multi-threaded gaming became a serious topic of conversation in the tech world-and there's still nothing mainstream about it.  yeah, don't hold your breath, lol!  it's not that i don't agree with the spirit of your stance on the matter either.  i'm just trying to present a reality-based opinion to people who seem to be putting too much of their budget into an area that won't yield the returns they think they'll get from it. 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 3:55am

just trying to educate as well as offer build advice.  they used to have more options once upon a time, i wonder if this is due to the recent supply problems or if this is a general shift that began sometime when i left these forums?

Oh, I so get and appreciate your point. 189 total looks at this thread alone. I sometimes blab on and on to explain more than the OP ever asked, to impart some perspective. My take is that a great many who come here are not looking to save so much as experience at long last that killer rig they always wanted. I strive to always build to the budget and recommend the best performance parts in that context. I get pushback when I try to save "too much". DST4ME recommended an 8700K for me vs an i5 I had picked for my last build because it will "last longer". I stick with that formula.

Supply has definitely been a problem, but DS made some questionable adjustments prior to the pandemic, so I don't know exactly what the issues were. They dropped the Corsair AIO coolers, for instance, citing supply issues from Corsair. They say the DS cooler is made at the same factory, but I think we'd all like to have that warranty back. Thanx for your comments.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 5:18am
oliviachristina, any more questions? In my build above, you might want to better the motherboard a bit to the Asus Tuf for $45. You can get the Stage 1 overclock if you'd like, it's safe, but you don't need it. The Turbo feature will be plenty fast.

Quote oliviachristina Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 5:22am

oliviachristina, any more questions? In my build above, you might want to better the motherboard a bit to the Asus Tuf for $45. You can get the Stage 1 overclock if you'd like, it's safe, but you don't need it. The Turbo feature will be plenty fast.
I think I’ve gotten as much advice as I need for now. I really appreciate the help.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 3:29am
Our pleasure.
 Post Reply Post Reply