Post Date: 2018-09-20

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TheRani View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheRani Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need advice on config
    Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 4:33pm
Hi, this would be my 3rd DS machine (actually 4th because I plan to buy 2 that are identical (one for me, one for spouse).

Budget:
unlimited

Expectations:
Last 5-8 years (my last DS machine was built in 2012 and it just died, so it lasted a good 6 years)

Usage:
Gaming (Everything from old Baldur's Gate to WOW to Battlefield V, 7 Days to Die, World of Tanks, MechWarrior, Diablo, GTA, Halo, Skyrim, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Neverwinter online, Star Wars KOTR, and the list goes on and on, you get the idea).

Special Needs:
Optical drive and wifi options

Saved Ticket #: 2052161

I plan on getting a ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27" 2560x1440 IPS 165Hz 4ms G-SYNC Gaming Monitor to go with the build.

The Velox box has an optical drive on the front panel, but there is no mention of what type of drive (read, write, blueray) and no options to add anything (internal) in the configurator. So is there really an optical drive in there, and what is it? Can I take my current internal optical blueray RW drive out of my dead box and put it into the Velox?

The machine will mostly be cabled directly to the router but occasionally I will need to connect to the router wirelessly.
The motherboard I chose has a Wi-Fi option but do I need to buy anything else to be able to use the Wi-Fi?

Do I need the water cooling or would air cooling be sufficient. Not really overclocking that processor so maybe water is overkill.

Is the power supply sufficient or do I need a 1000W for that graphics card?

I have SteelSeries Arctis wireless headset so I assume onboard sound is sufficient.

My current gaming doesn't require a lot of ram, I would probably be fine with 16GB but I wasn't sure what the future would bring with VR so I hedged the future with 32G. Does VR require more ram? Will probably get into VR in the next year or so.

I have never used an SSD, are my choices good? I also have 2 HDD from my dead box that I would like to put in the Velox, will they fit?

What about fans? This case comes with the 3 front fans? Do I need more? How do I get additional fans? There was no option for that in the configurator. Are the LED performance fans quieter?

Thank you for any advice you can give me on this build
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 2:10am
Hi TheRani,

That is a very nice configuration.
The Velox has a right facing window (looking at the pc from the front) with an inverted mobo. The Lumos has the left facing window. No internal disc drives anymore. Remember the "a" drive?
 The 8086 chip is a hot running cpu so a liquid cooler is recommended. On that subject, the Corsair coolers are better with a 5 year warranty. I'd go with the larger one. And the oc is not needed.
I am not good at figuring psu needs so I always go with the larger ones.
If you want quiet fans the ML series are the ones. Pricey but...(I think bprat22 has those on his new Lumos)
You will be totally awed at the load speeds with the new ssd.
That monitor is the one I use so what can I say. I love it.

PS some of the other way more knowledgeable members will chime in with better explanations and choices but this gives you a start.
Enjoy. Big%20Smile
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 4:24am
I also have that monitor and it’s great.   Your build is right on, after changing the cooler as hoserator said.

The ML series fans are a bit pricey, but are dead quiet and look great.   I have to sit next to the rig for years, so a little luxury is worth it.   

Yeah, I selected the Lumos over the Velox because of the window facing.   Just a personal preference since they both work great.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 4:46am
The mobo WIFI is all you need. It has two screw in antenna don’t forget to install on the back.

The remote internal lighting is free. Might as well get it unless you want little lighting. The colors can be adjusted for pulsing colors, set to a particular color, etc.   I change mine every few days from green to blue to red for something different.

TheRani View Drop Down

Quote TheRani Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 12:15pm
Ok, updated config: 2052952

Changed the cooler to the corsair 280 and opted for the ML fans.

So, despite there being a spot for an optical drive in the case, I will need to go with an external optical drive. Ok. A pain, but I can do it.

Remember the A drive! Heck, I still have a machine with A and B drives, one for OS, one for data. Yeah, I know that stuff well.

Do I just need to mention in the config notes that I want them to run cable drops and mount points for 2 sata hard drives, so I can move over my two data drives from my old machine?

Anything else? Is 850W power enough?

Thanks for all the help.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 12:39pm
I would mention the pre-wiring in Special Instructions. My Lumos came with the SATA and power cables sitting next to Drive sleds, but not sure they do it every time.   

A 750 watt psu is all you need, but nothing wrong with a little more headroom.   Up to you.

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 1:56am
My pc came all prewired (2014 vintage) but, like bprat22 stated, tell them and put a note in the special instructions section and then confirm so that there are no
"Oopsoh no, it's not wired Upset"
later.
Enjoy. Big%20Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply