Post Date: 2016-11-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JaneDoe View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JaneDoe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need advice on new build
    Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 12:15am
Hi everyone.. I have some questions and need some help with a new build. First off, I'm really not a computer tech person at all. I learned everything I know just from using my pc for gaming and basic computer stuff (itunes, pics and surfing the web). I started gaming about 12yrs ago and have had only 2 pcs during that time. Both of them are HPs. The only thing I had done to them was to have the psu and gpu replaced with better ones. Believe it or not I have never updated any drivers on anything cept once for when the new gpu was installed. I have never overclocked anything either.. I opened the case once a year to get rid of the dust..I mainly play COD4 and older titles but am looking to try some newer stuff too. I have a 1080p monitor which is still going good. I will be sticking with Windows7, which is one of the main reasons for picking digital storm to build my computer. Its difficult to find pc builders that still offer windows7.. I will be using it as long as I can. I tried windows10 not too long ago and I really wasn't a fan of it at all.

My questions,

If I don't overclock, can I get by with just the upgraded fan on the cpu?

If I use just the fan for cooling are there cases that have better airflow?

When windows7 is installed, is that with service pack 1?

I'm torn between the Vanquish and Apollo line..I know the Apollo has better parts.

My current rig which is 6yrs old..

HP hpe 170f
i7 920 2.6ghz
9gb ram
1tb hd
nvidia 560ti
700w psu corsair

my budget is $1500-$2000.

Thanks for any and all advice you can give..
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 2:56am
Welcome to the forum. Some more knowledgeable members will explain all the pros and cons of each system. The Vanquish line provides very good value for the money if you are not particular about the brands of each component. Enjoy.Big%20Smile
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 3:18am
I agree with hoserator, the Vanquish level 3, Best, with its gtx 1070 is best bang for your buck.   The 1070 is the recommended for a 1080p monitor.

If you're willing to go a little over budget, you're right, you can get better parts. Here's an Apollo build with better power supply, graphics card , SSD and HDD and CPU cooler.

Cost. $2248.     Config # 1522644

I can't cut/paste right now so just plug the config # into the top load config icon.

Good luck and let us know.   

The better air cooler will handle a CPU not overclocked if you don't want the maintenance free liquid cooler.   Both work. Don't get the stock Intel cooler.

Not sure about the OS question.

The case cooling for Apollo, the Corsair 760 t, are very good for your build. Another good choice is the Corridium case.

Edited by bprat22 - 15 Nov 2016 at 3:20am
 Post Reply Post Reply