FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need Advice On Ultimate Computer

Post Date: 2012-08-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  123 4>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
walden_emrys View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote walden_emrys Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need Advice On Ultimate Computer
    Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 4:01pm
Hi Digital Storm Community, right now I'm in the process of trying to build my dream computer that I will buy in a few months. I need some input.
My budget is 10,000.  I'm going to be playing FPS (Black Ops2, Bioshock Infinity, Crysis 3), recording game play and editing videos as well as using it for school and potentially CAD programs.  I definitely do not want a water cooled system but other than that I'm open to suggestions.  Below is the configuration that I was thinking about:

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master Cosmos II
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 3820 3.6GHz (Turbo Mode up to 3.8GHz) (Quad Core) <b></b>
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s) <b></b>
System Memory: 32GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Dominator DHX (High-Performance) <b></b>
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Platinum Series with Corsair Link (CP-9020008-NA) (Quad SLI Compatible)  <b></b>
Expansion Bay: Internal Digital Media Card Reader (Black) <b></b>
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (240GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series) <b></b>
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (240GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series) <b></b>
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: 1x (480GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series) <b></b>
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) <b></b>
Optical Drive 2: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) <b></b>
Internet Access: !PROMOTION: Killer 2100 (Optimized for Online Gaming) Lag and Latency Reduction <b></b>
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 4GB (Includes PhysX) <b></b>
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Professional 5.1 <b></b>
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Extreme Performance <b></b>
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Blue) (Up to 6 Fans) <b></b>
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Standard Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Automatic Overclocking <b></b>
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security <b></b>
Office: Microsoft Office 2010 Home and Student  (Full Retail Box Packaging)  <b></b>
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K60 (FPS Mechanical Gaming Keyboard) (Black/Metal Finish) <b></b>
Mouse: !SPECIAL: Corsair Vengeance M60 (Laser 5700 dpi) (FPS Gaming Mouse) (While Supplies Last) <b></b>
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: Please Prioritize: Ship Within Four Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed <b></b>
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Also, please keep in mind that although my budget is 10,000 I still have to buy monitors, software, etc.  Thank you for your input.
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 4:19pm
I would drop the 480ssd and instead get 2x tb westerndigital black hdd this way you have plenty of storage. You will save money if you buy your mouse etc from another place, such as newegg. I like your choice of processor as you will be all ready to drop in an ivy bridge e when that comes out next year. Your editing seems minor so the 3820 makes sense over the 3930k, plus save that money for ivy bridge e. You will save money towards a nice 30inch monitor or a multi monitor setup, I highly suggest the dell u2412m but since you will be not only using this for gaming you might like the higher resolution of the dell u247 "don't quote me on that model but its the 27 inch high res monitor from dell retails for over 500 I believe." If you don't already have a good speaker system get one you will be amazed when you hook them up to your soundcard. If you equally prefer listening to music movies etc then a better soundcard would be the titanium hd by creative, the recon3d has features more intended for gamers while the titanium offers good features for the gamer and the music movie junkie.
Also put your 2x 240gb ssd in raid 0. Drop a stage 1 oc on that cpu you will be fine stability wise. I would drop the 2100 tests have shown no real benefits its just marketing strategy. I would get your microsoft products from another source way cheaper and also drop the antivirus ds offers and pick up norton 360. PS I love your case choice plenty big enough and no problem cooling. Others will request the hafx don't cave in the cosmos is beautiful. Haha guys I think I covered everything
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 4:21pm
I like your view on just because you have such a high budget doesn't mean you need to use it all you will not gain much in performance once you go over a 2500 budget

Quote walden_emrys Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 4:45pm
I was actually thinking about getting the Asus VE248Q 24-Inch, still haven't decided on getting multiple monitors or not. Thanks for the advice, I've heard mixed reviews on the 2100 so I guess I'll just drop it.  I have Kapersky for my laptop and just remembered that its good for three computers haha.

Quote walden_emrys Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 4:49pm
And would stage 1 oc be ok to run with stage 2 air? (Noctua NH-D14)
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 7:22pm
Yes I believe ds will have no problem doing a stage 1 oc with that cpu and cooler
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 9:20am
Hi walden_emrys,

With a budget of $10,000 I think we can do a little better than what you have. Not that your system is not good. I just think we can tweak it a bit.

Here are some of my thoughts for you to consider.

1. The Cosmos II case does not have the best main compartment cooling with the standard options. I would make some changes. Add a 200mm fan to the top. Add the two 120mm fans to the side.

The Cosmos II is a nice looking case but as far as the best case for air cooling, you can't beat the HAF-X. You can put two 200mm fans at the top and it comes with a 200mm fan on the side. To be clear, the HAF-X comes with one 200mm fan on the top and you can add a second. The HAF-X comes with a 230mm fan on the front while the Cosmos has a 200mm. The HAF-X is not the prettiest case out there but it's air cooling can't be beat.

The Aventum is withing your budget but you will have to go with LC on the CPU.

2. You have a good sized SSD with the 240Gb and I am not sure you need the 480Gb as a storage devise. You can do it but I think a 1Tb WD is a better choice. It is not as fast as a SSD but it is a lot cheaper. It is also one, if not the best, performing HDD available.

3. The suggestion of RAID-0 configuration with your primary SSD has been a bad idea until now. In the past TRIM would not work in RAID-0 but that is just now changing. We still need new BIOS and Win-8. It will work with Win-7 but Win-8 particularly addresses this problem. If you have SSDs in RAID-0 with out trim and that is what it is until just recently, your performance will drastically decrease once you have wrote to all blocks of your SSD.   

4. Your are smart to drop the Killer 2100. Just a waste of your money.

5. Win-7 Home version won't support 32Gb of memory. You need to move up to Win-7 Pro.

6. Don't get the performance fans upgrade. It will replace 200mm fans with 120mm fans. There are 200mm fans with LEDs. DS can provide what you need.

7. The D-14 is a good choice for your CPU cooler. This case should have room for it.

8. You should get Stage 1 OC. A better choice than your selection.

9. Don't forget to order your Free T-Shirt

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 29 Aug 2012 at 9:23am
SpicierMire View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SpicierMire Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 9:46am
Ultimate Setup 2012?

3960X
Asus RIVE
4-way SLI 680's
SSD's in RAID
2133+MHz Memory
Two 1200W PSU's

Ultimate Gaming PC?
Not a chance without WC+OC... Hahaha

Edited by SpicierMire - 29 Aug 2012 at 9:46am

Quote walden_emrys Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 11:25am
Alright, I took your guys advice and here's what I came up with.  I took out the Killer 2100, I reduced the 480 SSD with a 240 SSD (I want three separate drives, one for my OS, one for school/etc, and one for games), I still want the performance fans cause I'm planning on putting three at the top, four on the side (replace the two bottom ones it comes with and adding the ones on the door), and replacing the one at the back.  I'm sticking to the Cosmos 2, because although the fans are smaller, there are more of them.  Plus the Cosmos 2 has built in air filters on all parts where air comes in.  And it's a larger case.  And it looks cool.

Specifications:
Processor: Intel Core i7 3820 3.6GHz (Turbo Mode up to 3.8GHz) (Quad Core) <b></b>
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s) <b></b>
System Memory: 32GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Dominator DHX (High-Performance) <b></b>
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Platinum Series with Corsair Link (CP-9020008-NA) (Quad SLI Compatible)  <b></b>
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (240GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series) <b></b>
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (240GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series) <b></b>
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: 1x (240GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series) <b></b>
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) <b></b>
Optical Drive 2: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) <b></b>
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 4GB (Includes PhysX) <b></b>
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Professional 5.1 <b></b>
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Extreme Performance <b></b>
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Blue) (Up to 6 Fans) <b></b>
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz <b></b>
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64-Bit Edition) <b></b>
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: Microsoft Office 2010 Home and Student  (Full Retail Box Packaging)  <b></b>
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large) <b></b>
Priority Build: Please Prioritize: Ship Within Four Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed <b></b>
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Also, I was thinking last night 'what if the cosmos 2 had a side door made of glass/see through material?'  Do you think that DS could make a custom door for the Cosmos 2 made out of glass?  (the door would be the same shape + size as the original metal one)

Edited by walden_emrys - 29 Aug 2012 at 12:23pm
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 12:34pm
Hi walden_emrys,

You don't need Win-7 Ultimate unless you are working in foreign languages. Win-7 Pro gives you what most users need.

If you are a Student you can get Office 2010 University at a very good price. You might want to consider getting one optical drive that reads Blue Ray and writes DVD. This allows you to play Blue Ray movies on your computer.

This is not going to be a quiet system with all those 120mm fans.

Frank
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 12:53pm
Yes you can have ds mod the window for you. And you should also ask for scythe gt fans or some noiseblocker fans they will be a lot more quite then the ones ds uses.

Quote walden_emrys Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 6:55pm
so, how loud would the fans that I've chosen be?  would it help if I get the noise reduction stage 1 package and stayed with the same fans?  I was thinking about adding the blu ray, so I guess I'll throw that in.

If anyone has any suggestions on monitors, keyboard, etc (and any further changes to the computer) feel free to suggest!

Thanks for the input Big%20Smile

Edited by walden_emrys - 29 Aug 2012 at 6:59pm
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 8:34pm
I would just upgrade the fans, let's just say this I picked up a pair of 120mm nzxt 2600rpm fans same blade design as scythe and they are not as loud as the 3 1850rpm zalman fans that ds useed on my radiator. If I were you I would pick up scyth gentle typhoons 1850 rpm and have them hooked up to a fan controller, personally you will save a lot more money if you do this yourself, it is not hard to install case fans.
SpicierMire View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SpicierMire Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 9:22pm
Noise reduction padding won't mean much if you're modding the side panel.

Quote walden_emrys Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by tju76

I would just upgrade the fans, let's just say this I picked up a pair of 120mm nzxt 2600rpm fans same blade design as scythe and they are not as loud as the 3 1850rpm zalman fans that ds useed on my radiator. If I were you I would pick up scyth gentle typhoons 1850 rpm and have them hooked up to a fan controller, personally you will save a lot more money if you do this yourself, it is not hard to install case fans.

alright man, going to take your advice and go with the nzxt fans
going to get 3 FZ-120mm LED at the top
four FZ-120mm LED on the side
one FZ-140mm LED in the back
and one FS 200LED in the front
all going to be blue led Big%20Smile
(plus I'm going to put some on the Noctua NH-D14 if I'm able to put a side window on this case, looked at the side window mod that DS has in the custom area and it said only the HailStorm & 950Si cases were able to do it)
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 4:30am
Just call them they can do it, also get a nice fan controller to control the fans

Quote walden_emrys Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by SpicierMire

Ultimate Setup 2012?

3960X
Asus RIVE
4-way SLI 680's
SSD's in RAID
2133+MHz Memory
Two 1200W PSU's

Ultimate Gaming PC?
Not a chance without WC+OC... Hahaha

I really dont want a wc pc, dont like the idea of all that water running in my system (however if I were to wc my system i would get it from DS).  But no.

I've decided to do stage 1 oc Big%20Smile

what would be the purpose of having two psu's?  Would the system run better?

Edited by walden_emrys - 30 Aug 2012 at 4:07pm
Jared View Drop Down

Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 9:29am
You asked about Monitors/Keyboards/etc. So I thought I would pop my head in. It looks like these guys have your technical problems covered, so. And before I start, I don't have these *yet* but I have done a bunch of searching around to find if these things were good or not.

1. Monitor - Dell Ultrasharp 23" - Amazon for $209
This is a great monitor from what I hear, it is the one I plan to get and it is the one used by many of the people here on DS. I would reccomend you check it out. There are some bigger versions of this, but for $60 more on Amazon, I don't think the extra inch is worth it.

2. Mouse - Razer Deathadder - Amazon for $45
I have done a lot of research on this mouse and I think that it is great. I believe it has a 3500dpi and is specifically made for gaming. It is a bit on the bigger side of the mouse world, but it should fit most hands comfortably. If you don't like this mouse, there are some others by Razer for things like MMO gaming, or some that are wireless.

3. Keyboard - Too many to choose D:
This is what I have been looking for recently, a new computer, so I will share with you what I have been looking at. They are mechanical, by the way. The DAS Professional is a sleeker black keyboard that uses Cherry MX-Browns for a quieter key sound. It is a pretty decent gaming keyboard from what I hear but it is around $130 and for me that was a bit too much. It can also be used for typing though. Another one I saw was a Rosewill Silent keyboard that was about $80 and it uesd the same Cherry MX-Browns as the DAS, so I think that is a better buy. Others may disagree. But if you are into the flashy LED backlit super ultimate gaming keyboards, I would reccomend looking into the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate. It is designed mostly for gaming and is a bit on the pricier side, but hey, flashy LED back lit mechanical keys? Totally worth it. And some more info I found out about the switches used in the boards. Blues make a clicky sound, Browns are the best for a more silent expierence, black are not the best for typing, so school essays might not be fun, and the reds are a lighter version of the black. This will also help - http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide

You may also want to get a mouse pad, but I haven't done much research on those.

Oh and speakers. If you care that much about sound quality, or you have a career that is in that kind of field, then you might want to invest in higher end speakers, but for me I am picking up a couple of logitech speakers for $28 on Newegg - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121014

-Jared
Apples will stay apples. Until they can become oranges.

Quote walden_emrys Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 6:44pm
I'm also thinking about replacing the Noctua NH-D14 with the HAVIK 140 (replacing the fans on the 140 with the FX 140LB).  Is this a good idea?  The stock fans that the Noctua come with goes about 1300 rpm while the replacement fans for the HAVIK go about 2000.  Is there any reason other than the noise that i shouldn't do this?  (The reason I'm considering this is because I don't like how the Noctua goes over the RAM)

Edited by walden_emrys - 31 Aug 2012 at 6:48pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2012 at 6:21am
The  website for the  HAVIK 140 doesn't list the LGA 2011 socket as one of the compatible ones.   The LGA 2011 socket is what the X79 mobo's use and what the 3820 and 3939k chips fit into.  If it doesn't fit then you'd have to change your build to the Z77 mobo with 3570, 3770 chip which is LGA 1155 socket and listed.
 I'm surprised it isn't compatible considering the X79 popularity so maybe the info is outdated.   Something to double check before ordering.

Other than that, it is rated very good, but one review said it still blocks one ram slot.  Again, something to double check.

Quote walden_emrys Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2012 at 3:00pm
Alright so it seems like I'm just going to get the Noctua anyway (even though I'm not completly comfortable with it being just over the RAM).  However, I'm going to change out the fans to one NZXT FX 120mm (2600 rpm) and one NZXT FX 140mm (2000 rpm).  Also, I'm going to change the thermal paste to Innovation's IC Diamond (which gets about -8c on average compared to other thermal pastes)

Edited by walden_emrys - 02 Sep 2012 at 12:47am
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2012 at 10:34pm
I have found when building my machine here, also over 10,000.. that the advice you will get here is invaluable.  Following it - is strongly recommended.

Quote walden_emrys Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2012 at 12:47am
Just when you think you've looked at all the current options for your computer, you find something new haha.  Was looking at the Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme (same as Silver Arrow except for MUCH better fans) and it beats the Noctua in cooling capabilities.  I only have one question: will 32 GB of Corsair Dominator RAM (with top heatsinksoff) fit underneath it.  Can't find this info anywhereSad.

FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2012 at 5:02am
Hi walden_emrys,

Just my opinion, but why pay a premium for Corsair Dominator RAM and then remove the heat shields. The Dominator doesn't give you any better performance than the DS memory. I would just buy the DS memory.

Frank
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2012 at 10:05am
True, but I will add that when someone is spending a large sum of money, the extra money allows to simply buy the best of the best in the market (even if it's just for brand preference or the look of a certain item).

Quote walden_emrys Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2012 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by FrankW

Hi walden_emrys,

Just my opinion, but why pay a premium for Corsair Dominator RAM and then remove the heat shields. The Dominator doesn't give you any better performance than the DS memory. I would just buy the DS memory.

Frank

Do you know how tall the DS memory is?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 5:55am
I have the Corsair Vengeance ram sticks, from DS,  that are about 30mm high without the heat spreader and 50mm with heat spreader.  The slot takes about 5mm.  Not exact but close.

I think you'll find any standard ram stick will fit under the air coolers like the D14 or SAE.  It's the heat spreaders that might get in the way on the first slot or two, one side of the cooler with Z77 dual channel memory board and both sides on a quad channel mobo. 

You also have to make sure the case is wide enough to offset a fan away from mobo if needed to compensate for a tall heat spreader.   One of my fans on the A70 cooler is offset 20mm away from mobo but my case is 10" wide so no problem.

Low profile or no heat spreader for some slots might be the way to go.

Hope this helps. 

Edited by bprat22 - 03 Sep 2012 at 6:30am

Quote walden_emrys Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 12:23am
Originally posted by bprat22

I have the Corsair Vengeance ram sticks, from DS,  that are about 30mm high without the heat spreader and 50mm with heat spreader.  The slot takes about 5mm.  Not exact but close.

I think you'll find any standard ram stick will fit under the air coolers like the D14 or SAE.  It's the heat spreaders that might get in the way on the first slot or two, one side of the cooler with Z77 dual channel memory board and both sides on a quad channel mobo. 

You also have to make sure the case is wide enough to offset a fan away from mobo if needed to compensate for a tall heat spreader.   One of my fans on the A70 cooler is offset 20mm away from mobo but my case is 10" wide so no problem.

Low profile or no heat spreader for some slots might be the way to go.

Hope this helps. 

Alright man, thanks.  Didn't even know about low profile ram until you and Alex (in the Hardware section) suggested it.

Now my config is looking like this:

Power Supply: 1500W Silverstone (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Recommended) <b></b>
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: 1x (240GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series) <b></b>
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R) <b></b>
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 3x SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 4GB (Includes PhysX) <b></b>
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz <b></b>
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition) <b></b>
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K60 (FPS Mechanical Gaming Keyboard) (Black/Metal Finish) <b></b>
Mouse: !SPECIAL: Corsair Vengeance M60 (Laser 5700 dpi) (FPS Gaming Mouse) (While Supplies Last) <b></b>
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 5 Year Limited Warranty <b></b>

I changed the video card to tri gtx 680 4gb sli.

Going to replace the stock fans with nzxt brand fans, 3 at the top, 1 at the back, 2 in the front, 2 on the side, and 2 on the door.  All blue led.

Going to get the nzxt brand fan controller, Sentry Mix.

Also going to get hot swap SSD (just noticed that I forgot to put it up there)

Going to change the cpu cooler Silver Arrow Extreme.

Still deciding on whether or not to do a tri monitor setup (either way going to get the del 23 inch ultrasharp monitor)

So what do you guys think?  Any more changes need to be made?
And thanks to all the people who have already helped out, you guys are great Smile
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 6:39am
Get microsoft office from another source then ds you will get it for a lot less. And if you are looking for low profile ram then the dominator is not a good choice they are huge. Personally I would just get 2x 680 then depending on what you get for monitors etc you can easily add the third card in yourself.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 7:43am
Other than what tju76 just mentioned about the ram, the build looks good to me.  I don't see the low profile in the config, so its an over the phone add-on I believe.
Real nice.Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 04 Sep 2012 at 7:44am
Asangard View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Asangard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 7:57am
If you want to have DS do all the work you can have them order the parts you want that they don't stock.  The fans, fan controller, CPU cooler and low profile memory.

All evil comes from within,
Not from Without,
Therefore, the 1st step on the Holy Warrior path,
Is to recognize thyself as thy 1st enemy.

tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 10:17am
the DS ram is low profile usually they use the adata gaming series you would have no problem with clearance if you used that memory
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 10:18am
Also i would get the corsair 1200i instead of the silverstone 1500.

Quote walden_emrys Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 12:52pm
Really? Why?  Are you sure all of those fans plus overclocking can run on the corsiair 1200i?

Quote walden_emrys Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 10:26pm
I have another question.  I'm planning on getting a 27 inch monitor with a 2560 x 1440 resolution.  will 2 gtx 680 4gb be able to do max settings , or will I need to go with 3?  (please keep in mind I want this rig to last a few years without any major upgrades)

Edited by walden_emrys - 12 Sep 2012 at 10:27pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>