Post Date: 2019-10-12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JORmac View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JORmac Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need advice with my Lumos
    Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 7:31pm
Hello, new the forums and I've been doing a bit of researching but my experience so far with DS has been ok. I received my computer yesterday and was so excited to have a DS PC finally but upon turning it on my computer sounds like a jet taking off. It's unbearably loud and I don't really know what to do.

It's the weekend so I'll reach to DS support on monday but thought I'd pick the brains of some of you folks in here.
I spent $4500 on this system and wasn't expecting to be disappointed. I find myself having drop frames here as there as well. :|

Any help is appreciated!

-------------------

Here's my setup
Chassis Model: Lumos
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Side Window: Edge to Edge Premium Acrylic
Processor: Intel Core i9-9900X (10-Core) 3.50GHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING (Wi-Fi) (Intel X299 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 64GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W Corsair RM850x (Fully Modular (80 Plus Platinum) (Supports up to GTX TITAN Xp)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Black Fans
Internal Lighting: - Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.5GHz via Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0
Graphics Boost: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 9:06pm
Welcome to the forum JORmac.... We really don’t get many Lumos owners having issues with noise in the excellent Corsair Crystal 570X tempered glass case.    Sorry to hear you are having noise issues.   
In looking over your build, the most likely source I see would be fan noise.    

You did chose mostly very high end components, but it’s odd that you only used the stock case fans and the standard DS CPU cooler.     Fans kinda got the short stick here..lol.     I’m guessing the stock DS fans may be a bit less silent than the upgraded Corsair LL or ML Series RGB fans that most folks are using in Lumos builds.    Ditto for the better upgraded Corsair AIO CPU coolers and the Corsair fans on them.     I myself have a Lumos rig with the all Corsair LL fan upgrade and you really don’t hear them...my son has it in his bedroom on a desktop and it stays on 24/7.    You do have a good Corsair PSU, and I’m guessing DS will have installed Corsair Link software with that.   In the Corsair Link software you should see a fan adjustment setting you can change...I think it’s Performance, Standard, or Quiet... and you can select Quiet and see if you are more satisfied regarding the fan noise.     Just be aware that Quiet setting will obviously reduce fan speed in order to to generate less noise, and that means a little less case airflow and cooling than the fans are capable of.    If you don’t see Link, DS Support can help you to adjust similar fan settings in your ASUS motherboard BIOS settings.

You also requested DS Overclock the top of the line RTX 2080 Ti, but it is a fan air cooled card and on the forum we don’t encourage Overclocking the GPU unless you go with water cooling the video card...the minimal gains not being worth the extra heat and strain on an air cooled card.     The small diameter fans on the GPU would be running harder if it’s Overclocked, and if so, they tend to make more audible noise than larger case fans.     DS can help you to reduce or remove the GPU Overclock they set.   That can quiet things a bit as well.   That top card should not be having any performance issues..so tell them about any problems...could also be a GPU Overclock adjustment needed if it was set a little too high for you.

I’m sure DS will be able to help you resolve this... Hang in there!

JORmac View Drop Down

Quote JORmac Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 3:50am
Originally posted by HockeyBuck

Welcome to the forum JORmac.... We really don’t get many Lumos owners having issues with noise in the excellent Corsair Crystal 570X tempered glass case.    Sorry to hear you are having noise issues.   
In looking over your build, the most likely source I see would be fan noise.    

You did chose mostly very high end components, but it’s odd that you only used the stock case fans and the standard DS CPU cooler.     Fans kinda got the short stick here..lol.     I’m guessing the stock DS fans may be a bit less silent than the upgraded Corsair LL or ML Series RGB fans that most folks are using in Lumos builds.    Ditto for the better upgraded Corsair AIO CPU coolers and the Corsair fans on them.     I myself have a Lumos rig with the all Corsair LL fan upgrade and you really don’t hear them...my son has it in his bedroom on a desktop and it stays on 24/7.    You do have a good Corsair PSU, and I’m guessing DS will have installed Corsair Link software with that.   In the Corsair Link software you should see a fan adjustment setting you can change...I think it’s Performance, Standard, or Quiet... and you can select Quiet and see if you are more satisfied regarding the fan noise.     Just be aware that Quiet setting will obviously reduce fan speed in order to to generate less noise, and that means a little less case airflow and cooling than the fans are capable of.    If you don’t see Link, DS Support can help you to adjust similar fan settings in your ASUS motherboard BIOS settings.

You also requested DS Overclock the top of the line RTX 2080 Ti, but it is a fan air cooled card and on the forum we don’t encourage Overclocking the GPU unless you go with water cooling the video card...the minimal gains not being worth the extra heat and strain on an air cooled card.     The small diameter fans on the GPU would be running harder if it’s Overclocked, and if so, they tend to make more audible noise than larger case fans.     DS can help you to reduce or remove the GPU Overclock they set.   That can quiet things a bit as well.   That top card should not be having any performance issues..so tell them about any problems...could also be a GPU Overclock adjustment needed if it was set a little too high for you.

I’m sure DS will be able to help you resolve this... Hang in there!

Thank you so much for the information, I did add a few fans on top to help airflow and indeed tweaking some of the settings helped the noise a bit. When I game the computer sounds like a jet tho. I will reach out to DS regarding removing that OC on the GPU and see if there is anything else they can do to reduce noise. You rock and I appreciate you!

Edited by JORmac - 13 Oct 2019 at 4:30am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 5:14am
When my computer arrived, the AIO CPU cooler was still set at maximum cooling in the BIOS from when they were stress-testing. It didn't take long for that to spin up and sound very much like the jet you speak of. I have a Corsair, but I'm assuming your DS one can be lowered in BIOS like mine was. I believe I recall choosing a profile somewhere in the mid-range, and I've never had the loudness since.

What I do get now is a pretty loud roar when I overtax the Nvidia 1070 GPU. Sometimes I just go with it, sometimes I'll lower the settings just a touch. One big reason I never advise OC on air. Your issue could be one or the other, or a combination of both, but I would look at your AOI CPU cooler first.
JORmac View Drop Down

Quote JORmac Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 12:34am
Originally posted by Cretae

When my computer arrived, the AIO CPU cooler was still set at maximum cooling in the BIOS from when they were stress-testing. It didn't take long for that to spin up and sound very much like the jet you speak of. I have a Corsair, but I'm assuming your DS one can be lowered in BIOS like mine was. I believe I recall choosing a profile somewhere in the mid-range, and I've never had the loudness since.

What I do get now is a pretty loud roar when I overtax the Nvidia 1070 GPU. Sometimes I just go with it, sometimes I'll lower the settings just a touch. One big reason I never advise OC on air. Your issue could be one or the other, or a combination of both, but I would look at your AOI CPU cooler first.

Yup first thing I did was go into the bios and indeed it was set to max as you said, weird they wouldn't put it on a normal setting. It was really offputting to a new customer, here's a video of what it sounds like when it's gaming. I had to take the front glass and top glass off to help with air flow.

I know fans kick on during load like gaming but this is a bit loud still in my opinion. What else can I do minimize this or what can add to quiet it down?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXC3C19s63U

This video was created before my posting on this forum and my intention was to email it to the DS support team.

Edited by JORmac - 14 Oct 2019 at 1:02am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 5:05am
Do you have any temp monitoring software installed? CPUID HW Monitor is the one I use.

That sounds to me like your GPU fans at full load trying to keep the temps down, but the 2080 Ti should very rarely be that stressed, even on overclock. Faulty card is perhaps the best guess, but DS will for sure help you out. Keep us posted.

Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 6:57pm
I just got my Lumos about a week ago. I have a Coolermaster air-cooled fan on the i7 CPU, nvidia 2070 Super and the Corsair magnetic fans.

When I first turned the machine on it was utter silence. You would not have known it was even on if the LED lighting was not lit up. I have never heard a computer that was so silent. Those magnetic fans just do not make any noise.
JORmac View Drop Down

Quote JORmac Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 2:39am

Do you have any temp monitoring software installed? CPUID HW Monitor is the one I use.

That sounds to me like your GPU fans at full load trying to keep the temps down, but the 2080 Ti should very rarely be that stressed, even on overclock. Faulty card is perhaps the best guess, but DS will for sure help you out. Keep us posted.

Yeah DS has been helpful, you're right maybe an an issue with the all in one & radiator/fans. They disabled them and it was quiet as a whistle. Also seemed to be some moisture in the rear radiator fans, tiny droplets. DS support has never seen that before so I sent themn pictures. DS wasn't able to call me today but hopefully we can get those sorted out tomorrow.

When I game gpu temp jump 31* to 41*-50*( higher end when playing w DX12 ). Besides the really loud fans on the radiator fans everything else is beautiful.

Originally posted by Bob100

I just got my Lumos about a week ago. I have a Coolermaster air-cooled fan on the i7 CPU, nvidia 2070 Super and the Corsair magnetic fans.

When I first turned the machine on it was utter silence. You would not have known it was even on if the LED lighting was not lit up. I have never heard a computer that was so silent. Those magnetic fans just do not make any noise.

you're lucky! Hopefully my issues get resolved soon

Edited by JORmac - 16 Oct 2019 at 2:41am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 3:28am
Yes, you're so right to bring this to DS attention. That quiet is what your supposed to get, and something's not right. I hope the fix is easy enough. You may be getting a new AIO very soon.

Sorry for your troubles.
JORmac View Drop Down

Quote JORmac Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 9:18pm

Yes, you're so right to bring this to DS attention. That quiet is what your supposed to get, and something's not right. I hope the fix is easy enough. You may be getting a new AIO very soon.

Sorry for your troubles.

yeah thanks man, DS support emailed me saying they're sorry they haven't gotten back to me. It's been 2 days and I know it's not that long but my computer is beginning to freeze up and restarting out of the blue O.o

I tried downloading a simple 43gb game from steam and it stopped at 64%, other games are also not completing.

Something really weird is going on and I think my computer is just freaking out now.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 3:49am

DS will get you figured out. Hang in!
JORmac View Drop Down

Quote JORmac Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 6:52pm

DS will get you figured out. Hang in!

So Sunday I was supposed to hear back from them regarding fans and since I've been dealing with this I simply asked instead of just sending me stock fans would they consider upgrading me to thermal take fans since I already began adding additional fans into my system. Keep in mind this was a week ago, they got back to me today telling me that yes they can do it for an upgrade of $179.
They took a week to respond that sure I can pay for it.

Is this the kind of services to expect with Digital Storm?
I'm actually really surprised I spent this much to be so let down by this company.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 2:46am
Have you emailed Alex directly? He is really good at getting things done with the customer in mind. Or have you been working through their support department?
JORmac View Drop Down

Quote JORmac Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2019 at 2:48am
Originally posted by Snaike

Have you emailed Alex directly? He is really good at getting things done with the customer in mind. Or have you been working through their support department?

I spoke to a John S and I received no reply back, they decided to not even respond to me today. Really disappointed with how they dealt with this situation and what I'm most worried about is the water droplets that is visible in the rear radiator fans.

I dunno anymore what to think.

Edited by JORmac - 26 Oct 2019 at 2:49am
JORmac View Drop Down

Quote JORmac Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2019 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by JORmac

I spoke to a John S and I received no reply back, they decided to not even respond to me today. Really disappointed with how they dealt with this situation and what I'm most worried about is the water droplets that is visible in the rear radiator fans.

Do you have Alexs email?
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2019 at 4:07pm
Sorry you are having issues... here is Alex's email...I'm sure he will help you.   

[email protected]     
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2019 at 10:09pm

From what I understand, DS is closed on weekends so there is no one to respond on Saturday.

Here's hoping you get it all worked out.
JORmac View Drop Down

Quote JORmac Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2019 at 4:46pm

From what I understand, DS is closed on weekends so there is no one to respond on Saturday.

Here's hoping you get it all worked out.

Yeah me too, you guys were helpful and I appreciate that.
My actual tech guy Kevin was great, just unfortunate he had to be the middle man with the higher ups. Will post an update w what happens. Still feel like the AIO needs to be replaced, there's still water droplets.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2019 at 4:41pm
@JORmac,

I'm not able to link your forums user with your purchase, can you email me your order information ([email protected]). Thanks!

I'll follow up with the team to make sure we're on it. The weekend did slow things down as our entire staff is not running on Saturday and Sunday.

Edited by Alex - 29 Oct 2019 at 4:42pm
JORmac View Drop Down

Quote JORmac Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Alex

@JORmac,

I'm not able to link your forums user with your purchase, can you email me your order information ([email protected]). Thanks!

I'll follow up with the team to make sure we're on it. The weekend did slow things down as our entire staff is not running on Saturday and Sunday.

Hi Alex,

I'll go ahead and send you an email, thank you.

JORmac View Drop Down

Quote JORmac Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 12:40am

Hi Cretae

I will reach out to DS Support regarding this matter but IF I want to removed the OC from my GPU how easy it to do?
DS Support said I shouldn't have to do that since they were looking at the system with HWiNFO64 but I agree if I want to try and get this loudness down I want to remove things that could cause it to start.

any info would be appreciate, thank you
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 5:06am
The two software solutions I'm familiar with are MSI Afterburner and EVGA Precision X1. Neither of them is brand specific, they will work on any video card. I have never downloaded them as I have no interest in increasing temps and thus, fan noise, on my GTX 1070.

My best guess is that it would be quite simple to reverse any overclock to factory settings with either one. It seems clear that the software would see your card, see the present settings, and provide a button in the interface to go back to normal.

Your best course is to work with DS support to achieve your goals. They'll walk you through it on the phone if you wish.
 Post Reply Post Reply