FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need gaming rig to play SC 2 awesomely

Post Date: 2010-08-03

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Cobra_mike View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cobra_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need gaming rig to play SC 2 awesomely
    Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 3:49pm
Must Display 1920 X 1200 on a 24" display. Also great sound, please suggest a very good set of headphones too, I'll pay up to a few hundred for a good set. My budget would be just under $3K for this.
The only components I currently have are a mouse and a keyboard. Please fill in the rest for me, also any suggestions for other Good RTSs would be great too. thanks
mike
Ps: I have bought a DS comp. before, so I know you guys are awesome, but that 1 is my moms now, so i need my own.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 4:09pm
done
2k + some good headphones

if you want to spend more, id get a 2nd 480, but the link has more than what you need to play sc2 with everything maxed

Quote Cobra_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 4:45pm
hey thanks for the reply, i do have a few questions for you though.
1. Do you recommend any displays DS sells that will display 1920x1200 res. that are around 24"?
2. I will be using a wireless router for internet, do you think i need anything extra beyond the integrated network access that comes stock with this?
3. Is there a smaller version of the HAF 932? i have i think just the original haf, and its 22" tall by 21-1/2" deep, its kind of a monster, was wondering if they offer a smaller to mid-tower size?

thanks for your help
mike
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 5:05pm
oh wow sorry i skimmed that i thought you meant you already had the "1920 X 1200 on a 24"... i would not reccomend getting a monitor from DSO, you will pay extra shipping, its not covered in the DSO warranty, and its a tiny selection.
heres a link for you to check out, monitors are very subjective, so you may consider checking some out in real life to see what brands you like before you buy
what makes you want 1920x1200 specifically? you can find a lot of deals at 1920x1080 (24 monitor choices compared to 121)
newegg has a huge selection, but not always the lowest prices, so use it narrow down your choices, then do some googling to see if you can find a better price

id suggest avoiding wireless internet because of how unreliable and inconsistant it can be, but if you want to use it, you will need a wireless card which you can find in the network drop down box in the config window

this is a tough one to answer, the newer cases are bigger for a good reason, the more space the components have, the more freely air can move through the case = better temps without the noise from extra fans
but if you have a specific space requirement, you could look at the 690 i guess, again tough to reccomend anything lower than a 922 because i find it a nessesary evil to have an oversized case

Quote Cobra_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 6:14pm
thanks very much, i think the smaller haf 922 will work fine, and for the display its no problem to get what i want from newegg, i was just checking to see if DS was worth looking into. and finally, i guess ill try and figure out how to hardwire another cable into this comp, the DS comp. that we have now is already hardwired in 1 room, im no expert at that stuff at all so im not sure if they can run another cable into this new comp too, thats why i was asking about the wireless router thing. if you have any input on that cable for me that would be great and appreciated. thanks again for the reply
mike
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 6:24pm
theres a few different things you can do, depending on the use of your now-moms computer. i used to have my set up as modem -> my computer -> my gfs computer, she used the internet for maybe an hour a day, max, so i just took the whole connection most of the time then shared it with her when she needed it. you would have to keep the host computer on, but most people leave thier pc on all the time now anyway
 Post Reply Post Reply