FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need help, first time buying with DS.

Post Date: 2018-11-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Zygos View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zygos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need help, first time buying with DS.
    Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 10:06am
Hey,

So I'm replacing a gaming PC that is starting to run down, and mostly trying to learn from my mistakes. I liquid cooled my CPU, but the radiator stopped working, (Possibly because I live in a climate where sometimes it is rather hot, or rather cold) so I realized that the liquid cooling isn't really working for me so I'd prefer my CPU be fan cooled instead of liquid cooled.

Looking to spend around 2 to 2.5k, with a fan, not liquid cooled PC. Probably with a SSD for the OS, and a 2nd drive for the actual storage. Also planning on putting Win7 on it, and continuing to avoid Win10 for as long as I can. So would need unformatted drives. Any suggestions? Thanks for your time, I'm more a software than a hardware guy. So I know next to nothing about parts.

Thanks

Zygos
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 12:36am
The first thing The Smart Guys® are going to ask is about your preferred monitor resolution. They prefer to build to your budget on what looks good to you. This way you get the best bang for your buck.

Cheers!
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 2:05am
HiZygos,
Welcome to DSS.
I am not one of the Smart Guys, just filler.
Sorry you had issues with the liquid cooling. Radiators do not stop working unless they are broken and you know it because of all the coolant coming out. Not knowing what lc you had its hard to know what really happened but I would guess a pump failure since you don't mention fluid all over!  The ambient temps have nothing to do with it. Just saying so that you don't go all negative on lc.

There are very good systems that can be configured with air cooling and like Snaike stated, if you post what is you monitor's resolution (or plan to purchase), you will get a configuration to fit your needs.

As to W7, you might have to discuss that when you place your order with DS.

You came to the right place. Big%20Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply