FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need help...OC/Cooling/Testing Issue

Post Date: 2011-08-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mfaulisi View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mfaulisi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need help...OC/Cooling/Testing Issue
    Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 1:32pm
Ok so I'm not quite sure what's going on here, but I'll explain everything in case it matters.  (Note: I put through a tech support request so I'll be getting a call, but I'm just looking for extra advice here possibly before the call). 

When I got my PC Tuesday I was too excited to benchmark so I set W7 up how I wanted it to look, downloaded O&O Defrag, MSE, and adjusted my UAC settings. Then I installed Flight Simulator X and adjusted it.  The past couple days I've been playing it (looks fantastic btw) before I've benchmarked the PC.  Last night I decided to run the HW monitor in the background while flying around since I know FSX is CPU intensive.  A couple hours later upon exiting FSX, I noticed the max temp was 86 while flying.  At this point I was kind of worried so I decided to benchmark it.  I tried first with LinX and had to shut it down less than 10 seconds into the first run because it said my temps were up to 90+.  Thinking it was the monitor program, I downloaded RealTemp to run as well.  The second go around was no different and I shut it down at 7 seconds in.  Further trying to figure out what could be wrong I decided to run prime95, since maybe the stock LinX settings weren't what I was supposed to run.  This gave me the same issue only it took around 15 seconds to spike up near 90 so I shut that down too. 

I didn't change any settings for either test and used the blend in prime95.  After some further research it seems like all my temps are high even my MINs.  Is it possible the cooler is not sitting right?  The air coming out of the rear exhaust fan is really cool and the top doesn't have much heat to it either.  I have no idea why I could be THIS hot out of the box? 

Secondly, I noticed at 4.5 clock speed my Vcore was 1.432.  That seems high for a 2600k at 4.5 form what I've read (but I'm not expert).  Everyone seems to hit 4.5 with relative ease, not needing to push the voltage up that much. Did I just get a power hungry chip or is it possible the OC settings need to be retweaked?

I know these screens don't show the fan speed in HW monitor, but I don't recall them ever going above 46%, could that be the issue?  I'm not sure if that's the case fans or CPU cooler fans though.

Thanks guys!

Here are the screens:

RiceEatin2000GT View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 1:48pm
Your v-core def needs to be tweaked. Are you familiar with how they oc'd your cpu? did they use offset? manual voltage? If its manual i would go into the bios and set it at 1.35 and see how the computer runs. If its offset your gonna have to play around with it so at load your achieving around 1.35. Also be aware that youll need line load calibration set to very high if they did a manual setting.   

I guess start with finding out how they OC'd your cpu and take it from there. Although im sure they will cover this when they call you.
mfaulisi View Drop Down

Quote mfaulisi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 2:16pm
Yeah I have no idea how it's OC'd, I'll have to look.  Could the vcore setting cause that high of a temp or is there possibly more to it? 

I'm not worried about getting it corrected I'm sure they'll talk me through it in a matter of minutes, but I am curious if it hurt anything.  Could around 6 hours at mid 80s temps do any life depleting damage to the CPU? I would think it's fine, but I'm new to the whole OC thing...obviously Smile
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 2:20pm
what case and what kind of cooler is in your comp? To be honest
your temps are pretty high and are right on the border of being harmful especially if your computer is turning off.

edit- and yes more v-core=higher temps

Edited by RiceEatin2000GT - 11 Aug 2011 at 2:22pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 2:30pm
If I'm not mistaking,my  memory can be finicky, you have the ODE with A70 cooler? 

Keeping it simple first, are both A70 fans on and is the rear 120mm fan on.

My i5-2500k with A70 never goes above 66c under load, just a comparison.
mfaulisi View Drop Down

Quote mfaulisi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 2:54pm
It's the ODE Level 1 so it's the 600T case with an A70 cooler.  The computer wasn't turning off on it's own I was stopping the tests manually because of how high the temps were going and how fast.  I was concerned because when I was playing the game and not monitoring it the temps were probably around 80-85 judging by the logged high.  I haven't had any performance issues though. 

Bprat, what are you OC to and what's your ambient temp?  I'm pretty sure both fans are on; I know the front is but I'll check the rear one tonight.

I just spoke to tech support and we're going to drop down the OC, probably disable HT, and lower vcore when I get home.  Since I'm in AZ in the middle of the summer my ambient temp is high (79-80F and that keeps the electric bill at about one ODE level 1 a month lol). 

He thinks that's causing part of it, but he also thinks I'll only be able to get a 4.2-4.3 gHz out of it with a 1.35 vcore.  I guess we'll see, but I was hoping to have 4.5 still.  It appears I'll have a summer configuration and winter configuration in the BIOS, dang heat.  Either way still getting awesome service Awesome
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 3:00pm
yea wow lol.   If your ambient temps are that high those load/idle temps make much more sense. If you wanted to tweak it more after they help you upping the multiplier takes seconds. Most chips set up right at the low end of 4.2 can use like 1.25-1.3v.
mfaulisi View Drop Down

Quote mfaulisi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 3:18pm
Sounds about right then thanks Rice...Speaking of your name is that a Mustang GT by any chance? And summer here sucks lol, but I'll take that over the winter months I had back in Chicago. 
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 3:19pm
mfaulisi, my oc is 4.4, vcore stressed is 1.4 and my ambient temps have been 80-85 F with this hot summer and old, 60's central air. 

Those temps would worry me too.  I'm new to all this but it's fun learning.

Even just one A70 fan, I would think, would be ok, unless stationary vanes on other is impedeing the air flow.
mfaulisi View Drop Down

Quote mfaulisi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 3:34pm
So I'm not the only one sweating this summer out huh.  I think I'll end up pretty close to where you are, probably a notch lower.  It's definatley a different world than when I had a decent PC last.  I can't wait to try out some other games on it!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 3:46pm
Can't wait for BF3 and Skyrim.

I've played Crysis, Bf2 and oblivion to death, with ARMA demo and Crysis Warhead last week driving me downstairs where it's cooler when the A70 and gpu cooler really kicked in.  Ambients had to hit 85-90. 

Better me swealtering than my ODEBig%20Smile 
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 12:20am
Originally posted by mfaulisi

Sounds about right then thanks Rice...Speaking of your name is that a Mustang GT by any chance? And summer here sucks lol, but I'll take that over the winter months I had back in Chicago. 

yes sir it is =) I had a 2000 mustang GT then i sold it and got a 2010 GT
mfaulisi View Drop Down

Quote mfaulisi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 10:13am
Very nice! I have a 2001 Kenne Bell'd GT with a few other goodies :)

Well we ended up having to drop it down to 4.2 to keep my temps within reason.  Once it cools down out here I'll bump it back up to 4.5 and check the temps again.  I'm still seeing vcore go up to 1.40 though even dropped that low and I'm not sure why. 

It is an offset voltage because it's the LE board I can't set it manually.  I'm almost curious to drop the offset to what he gave me for the 3.9 clock to see where vcore would be and if it's still stable at 4.2 with the lower offset.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 10:48am
Glad it's fixed for ya.  Thanks for the feedback.

Like you said earlier, a summer and winter setup is the way to go.
mfaulisi View Drop Down

Quote mfaulisi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 10:56am
bprat just out of curiosity, what is your voltage offset set to?  Your vcore is maxing the same as mine, but you're clocked slightly higher.  Also, did you run LinX and if so what was the max temp you saw?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 11:24am
I never ran LinX, instead ran FAH Tracker 2 with gpu and cpu enabled.  Monitored it with HW Monitor and EVGA E-Leet.  oc was 4.4, multiplier x44 and vcore sat at 1.35 for awhile then went to 1.4.  Cpu temps never rose above 66c even after 40 minutes.
mfaulisi View Drop Down

Quote mfaulisi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 11:41am
I've never run FAH, maybe I'll try that too to test the GPU. 

In the BIOS do you know what the setting is for voltage offset in the Ai Tweaker tab?  I think I'm at +0.030 now whereas I was at +0.055 @ 4.5.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 11:44am
Just ran LinX to keep comparisons even and the cpu temps went to 70c briefly then hovered around 67-69c,  Vcore was about 1.37.  Everything else seemed the same as snaps above.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 11:53am
Never messed in Bios.

If you run Fah Tracker 2 makes sure you hit setup > config.>autodetect gpu>.yes>.apply and then "enable cpu folding" is checked, "multi-core SMP client" is checked and "use all cpu cores" is checked.  I monitored with HW monitor and ran for 40 minutes.

By the way, most of this was courtesy of DST.
mfaulisi View Drop Down

Quote mfaulisi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 12:17pm
Your temps are WAY lower than mine, even after we adjusted it down to 4.2 gHz.  I maxed at 88 during LinX, which DS says under 90 is acceptable.  And you said your ambients are similar to mine at 79-80F during the summer?

Thanks for the info!
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 12:48pm
Wish my board supported offset voltage...
Steam:pcmaster160
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 12:54pm

Your temps are WAY lower than mine, even after we adjusted it down to 4.2 gHz.  I maxed at 88 during LinX, which DS says under 90 is acceptable.  And you said your ambients are similar to mine at 79-80F during the summer?Thanks for the info!
is that running 4 threads or 8? With a 4.2 ghz OC you could prob run 1.25-1.3 v-core. Also keep note of the Line load calibration, typically you want to run the lowest setting possible but keeping stability. If you really want to see max temps you need to run linx 0.6.4 with the binaries that support avx and manually set at 4 threads with max problem size.

also are you noticing your processor down clocking to 1.6ghz and downvolting considerably(around 1) when idle?
mfaulisi View Drop Down

Quote mfaulisi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 1:19pm
I'm pretty sure that was running 8 threads (it was whatever it selected automatically, I didn't change any settings).  With the offset it kind of confuses me on tuning it.  What is the baseline that it uses for the offset to add or subtract from?  It doesn't display my current voltage next to it, which then confused the tech rep because the manual said it should. 

Either way, from the drop it made going from +0.055 to +0.30 I think if I go down to what they recommended for a 3.9 OC (+0.20 if i remember right, its at home) but keeping the 42 multiplier I should be around 1.3 vcore I think.  I'll have to check that line load calibration setting while I'm in there.

I'll make the adjustments to linx and rerun tonight.  I'll do before totally idle pics and after the test finishes and see where I'm at.  The minimum temps in my original pics are in line with an 80F ambient though, so the cooler appears to be working correctly right?

And yes it does throttle down when idle, I don't remember exact numbers though.

I appreciate all the help!
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 2:00pm

I'm pretty sure that was running 8 threads (it was whatever it selected automatically, I didn't change any settings).  With the offset it kind of confuses me on tuning it.  What is the baseline that it uses for the offset to add or subtract from?  It doesn't display my current voltage next to it, which then confused the tech rep because the manual said it should.  Either way, from the drop it made going from +0.055 to +0.30 I think if I go down to what they recommended for a 3.9 OC (+0.20 if i remember right, its at home) but keeping the 42 multiplier I should be around 1.3 vcore I think.  I'll have to check that line load calibration setting while I'm in there.I'll make the adjustments to linx and rerun tonight.  I'll do before totally idle pics and after the test finishes and see where I'm at.  The minimum temps in my original pics are in line with an 80F ambient though, so the cooler appears to be working correctly right?And yes it does throttle down when idle, I don't remember exact numbers though.I appreciate all the help!

That's really the only downfall of using offset voltage you don't ever know what the base value is so it requires tweaking. Even with a board that can use manual voltage it will show the last used manual voltage in the field but it doesnt use that voltage as a base so its a guessing game. I would note the line load calibration but try putting it down to + .20 and see where your voltages go. Once you go down to .20 just look at what the idle voltage, not the one where its super downclocked but the one where there is little load on cpu but it has enough demand to clock up to a 42x multi.

Most times people overclock in the opposite direction. As load goes up v-core goes down as more stress is put on the computer. For example my v-core for 4.5ghz is 1.35v but as load goes up my v-core will go slightly down, this is where line load calibration comes into play it. Each level will only let the v-core vary by a less and less amount as load gets put on the processor. Ive got mine set to very high so my v-core at full load isnt moving all that much down. Im using manual voltage though.

Line load calibration can also have a negative effect on how the voltage reacts. It can go up in some instances if set to high with using offset voltage. I would consider changing the LLC if its at like high or very high but first play with the offet voltage(.20).

Edited by RiceEatin2000GT - 12 Aug 2011 at 2:06pm
mfaulisi View Drop Down

Quote mfaulisi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 2:36pm
Sounds good, I'll post results tonight.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 4:43pm
Highest temp acceptable is 85c, actually we like to be under 80c, anything above 85c is too high and not acceptable.
mfaulisi View Drop Down

Quote mfaulisi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 4:55pm
DST4ME that was what I was hoping for, but DS said under 90 is "passing" so when the 4.2 OC got me into the mid 80s (one core was up around 88 though) it was considered ok.  Do you have any insight as to OC settings to further what Rice suggested? 

Reading this and other forums I'm thinking I should be lower even with an 80 degree room right now since other guys are running similar setups and seeing under 80C under load on air.  Could the MB be a factor since the LEs are slightly OC limited compared to Pro/Deluxe counterparts?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 5:01pm
You can't compare your temps and etc with others, everything needs to be exactly the same to compare and it never is.

your room temp is high, I would not accept anything over 85c as ok, 85c is the is the max acceptable range.

Have a look around at all the oc forums and other experts and you'll find that nobody say over 85c is acceptable, most will tell you that 80c is where they draw the line.

Having said all that, your room temp is part of the problem tho, and there is nothing DS or anybody can do about your room temp.

if your room temp was 75f and your load temps were over 85c then I would ask DS to make my temps acceptable, or give me a 5 year part warranty on the cpu, vs teh 1 year part warranty you have now.

I don't mess around with oc settings here, I don't want to step on DS's toes, or be responsible if anything goes wrong, I'm a perfectionist so I would need to mess around with it for a long time, also I don't like to mess with oc unless I have pc in-front of me.

Edited by DST4ME - 12 Aug 2011 at 6:01pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 5:09pm
way to discredit me and make me look stupid dst i appreciate that.....

lowering v-core wont do anything but make your pc last longer and lower temps. If it fails a stability test raise the voltage. Intel made these chips unlocked so the average consumer can do this easily.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 5:18pm
Emmn, how did I do that rice?

I certainly was not try to do anything like that, and am not sure how you get that.

Edited by DST4ME - 12 Aug 2011 at 5:19pm
mfaulisi View Drop Down

Quote mfaulisi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 5:19pm
Understandable, and everywhere I read suggests 80 as the line so that's what I'd like to keep it under as well.  During my normal loading (gaming) it never gets up that high (mid 70s), so I'm not too worried, but it is in the back of my head from the benchmarking.  I am taking some extra measures to reduce the room temp because I realize that's a big issue. 

My only other concern was why the vcore seemed high for the level of OC I'm at, which is what I'll be looking at later today.  As I stated though, the system rocks Awesome my summer climate on the other hand, doesn't CryI guess I'll laugh this winter when it's 70 in January and my friends back in the Midwest are shoveling.

Edited by mfaulisi - 12 Aug 2011 at 5:22pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 5:20pm
If your vcore is under 1.40 you got nothing to worry about.
mfaulisi View Drop Down

Quote mfaulisi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 5:24pm
Now it is, it topped out at 1.40 but when it was at the 4.5 gHz config it went all the way up to 1.46.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 5:37pm
1.46 is pretty high, you looking at early cpu death, maybe 3 or 4 years, little longer maybe if one is lucky, its good that your lowered it.

Edited by DST4ME - 12 Aug 2011 at 6:01pm
mfaulisi View Drop Down

Quote mfaulisi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 8:52pm
Ok guys here is what I got:

at +.030 the max vcore was 1.416
at +.020 the max vcore was 1.408

LLC setting can be enabled, disabled, or auto...right now it's set to enabled.

I noticed it does NOT throttle back at idle, it's staying at 4.2 gHz and 1.38v.

CPU spread spectrum is disabled and all cpu power settings are auto with +0.008 boost for turbo voltage.

I did 4 threads and 15000 problem size.
4.2 gHz with +.030 offset Before

4.2 gHz with +.030 offset After 10 runs

4.2 gHz with +.020 offset Before

4.2 gHz with +.020 offset After

Do you think I should step the offset down to 0.015 to see if I can get vcore below 1.40?  Aside from vcore increasing, how much impact does a .1 clock increase do for heat?  Obviously there is a point of instability, but I'm trying to tie in how everything works with OCing.  Does vcore directly relate to heat generated and clock speed to vcore relate to stability?  (e.g. if I went to 4.3 gHz heat wouldn't really increase, but if the voltage supplied couldn't support the clock speed, the system would then become unstable)

I'm almost tempted to run it at stock settings just to see that as a baseline, if I restore the OC profile I could readjust the clock and offset.  What are your thoughts on that?

Again, thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>