FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need help of course

Post Date: 2016-08-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Hoze928 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Hoze928 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need help of course
    Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 4:24am
Been haunting the DS sight for a few weeks now my son turned me on to DS when he found out I was looking for a new PC. My usage will be all the normal things you do music, pictures some paperwork and gaming. I really have no idea what games I will play since I've been a console game player. I probably won't play the newest games out but who knows one might get my attention. I really tried wanting the Vanq level 4 with a few changes but with my research I kept going back to the Appollo level 2. I guess I've had lots of my questions answered but just need some clarification on a few things.
1. Is it a waste of money tricking out your cables to be one color or another?
2. Do most standard fans on the gtx 1070 card and the Appollo case do the job with adding a cooler that adding extra fans is a waste of money?
3. Overclocking I get the premise and seen the stats. Now for a normal part time gamer do I even bother to oc or is it worth my time time to learn and take the upgrades on the Appollo to oc?
4. My monitor will be a BenQ 27" 1ms, 144hz, 1920x1080 not looking to upgrade any time soon.

Thanks in advance for the responses I'm sure I will have more questions before I drop my $. If I don't get back on real fast I work nights and I'm just about to head to bed. I will say you guys that answer all the questions on this sight do a damn good job of explaining things to us stupid people
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 4:30am
1. Personal preference, if you have the budget I say do it.

2. extra fans are good idea for max airflow as most cases do not come with all the fans they can hold. but if budget is tight, yes fan upgrade is not a necessity.

3. oc speeds up the cpu which is the brain of your computer, this in turn makes everything it does faster, in games it will not yield enough fps to justify depending on the cpu and its base/boost clock. So its up to you, from part time gaming and use I would say no its not worth it if budget is tight, you will be ok with the base cooler of vanquish.

4. a 1060 will do you great at 1080p
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 4:30am
Originally posted by Hoze928

Been haunting the DS sight for a few weeks now my son turned me on to DS when he found out I was looking for a new PC.................
1. Is it a waste of money tricking out your cables to be one color or another?

Never, if it makes you smile when you look at it.Big%20Smile
Hoze928 View Drop Down

Quote Hoze928 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 4:33am
Crap I knew someone was going to say that I'm a sucker for bright shiny objects.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 4:34am
Hoze928, welcome to the DS forums! Glad you could join us.

The config gurus will be along shortly and they'll be much more help than I will, but I'll put in my 2¢ where I can.

1) Depends on what you want. If you want the extra WOW factor, then get it. If you want DS just to do their usually superb job of cable management, that's pretty WOW already. So, it's up to you.
2) Extras are, again, up to you. If you have unusual circumstances, or need cooling to run quieter, then look into it.

I won't bother with oc questions, as I have no experience.

Bring more questions, though.. the community as a whole can benefit.

Welcome again.
Hoze928 View Drop Down

Quote Hoze928 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 5:06am
Originally posted by DST4ME

1. Personal preference, if you have the budget I say do it.

2. extra fans are good idea for max airflow as most cases do not come with all the fans they can hold. but if budget is tight, yes fan upgrade is not a necessity.

3. oc speeds up the cpu which is the brain of your computer, this in turn makes everything it does faster, in games it will not yield enough fps to justify depending on the cpu and its base/boost clock. So its up to you, from part time gaming and use I would say no its not worth it if budget is tight, you will be ok with the base cooler of vanquish.

4. a 1060 will do you great at 1080p

I'm thinking of going the Appollo route and want to try to get bang for my buck so thought I would try to get best parts. From what I have read the graphic card the1070 is quite a jump above the 1060. With that thinking I was going with the i7 was leaning towards the i7k again to get me farther down the road for a longer time with this pc build. Guess I should have said that in the beginning. Was trying to stay around $2300 or so and with the parts off the Vanq vs the Appollo the Appollo seemed the way to go.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 5:21am
Apollo

Click Image To Go To Configuration Page

How is this, its has oc, remove oc and save about $90
Hoze928 View Drop Down

Quote Hoze928 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 5:39am
Looks a lot like the one I've been building minus the 1070. So the 1060 will work for me even if I choose to play games like wow or Starcraft?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 5:49am
The 1060 will blow away wow and starcraft from the info benches I have seen.

Logical did a test and for wow and 1080p they recommended the 950gtx, the 1060 for wow they are recommending for 4k resolution.

In otherwords at 1080p in wow you are gonna kill it. Its overkill for that res. But other games like farcry, gta and etc are gonna be different and need the 1060.

just caught a problem in my build we need to change the psu to the non b1 version or go to the 600w.

Edited by DST4ME - 16 Aug 2016 at 5:53am
Hoze928 View Drop Down

Quote Hoze928 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 5:52am
Thanks that helps I was really worried on the graphics card part. Didn't want to get one then get into a game I really liked and suffer from a weaker card.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 5:57am
No you will be fine:

as I mentioned we can drop your cpu lower to save money if you like.

we need to change the psu to 600w.
soulmanim3 View Drop Down

Quote soulmanim3 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 7:38am
With this system you'll be able to fall down the console command rabbit hole in WOW. You may still chug in heavily populated areas with everything maxed out, but that's the game's fault because of its age. Changing spell effects is kind of silly and fun because the ceiling is just below the point you crash the game.
Ordered - 07/02/2016 | Stage 7 - 08/15/2016
Stage 1 - 07/05/2016 | Shipped - 08/16/2016
Stage 2 - 07/11/2016
Stage 3 - 07/11/2016
Stage 4 - 07/26/2016
Stage 5 - 07/26/2016
Stage 6 - 08/04/2016
Hoze928 View Drop Down

Quote Hoze928 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 8:43pm
Thanks guys good info to have. I think I understand the graphs 60 is the minimum threshold you want to be at when you have the game set on ultra settings so your game play won't suffer. Are the games still good to look at and play on lower settings? What are the kind of things do you lose at lower settings? I'm just used to console play so really have no idea what I might lose and never know it.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 10:32pm
Well when you turn down settings of course the image loses how good it was, but how much is what is a personal preference IMHO, I like to max out settings personally.

Here is witcher 3 for example there is some stuff you can look at with and without or lower setting and those should give you an idea.
Hoze928 View Drop Down

Quote Hoze928 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 1:35am
Looks like I would prefer to max out the settings graphics look fantastic. Is it worth the $45 to have DS boost the graphics card? Or just go with oc yourself.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 2:14am
OC the gpu yourself
Hoze928 View Drop Down

Quote Hoze928 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 9:46am
Ok here is what I'm thinking just want to reiterate that was a console player not sure of the games I will play. I do like WoW, Starcraft CoD and I like to build in games such as sim city but not that game. I also store and move around music have around 10,000 songs that will go on this PC plus lots of pictures which I'm always adding to. Let me know what ya think and where I might have gone wrong. Thanks

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Apollo (Black)
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (500GB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H115i - 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Blue - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled LED Lighting System (Multiple color options and lighting effects)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.4GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Hoze928 View Drop Down

Quote Hoze928 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 11:26am
Ok I'm going nuts my build up above is an Appollo lvl 2 with some adjustments. Now I'm looking at this Vellox lvl 2 with adjustments Appollo comes in at around $2200 Vellox is around $3100. I can swing either but didn't really think about spending that much on a PC until I started doing lots of research and not wanting parts I'm going to be worried about. I really want to get far down the road until I have to upgrade anything. Here's the V.
System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Hailstorm II Edition
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA
Expansion Bay: Option Not Available
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 8x / CD-Writer 8x) (Internal)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (NVIDIA Founders Edition) (VR Ready)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Blue - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled LED Lighting System (Multiple color options and lighting effects)
CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.8GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
OS Boost: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 3:06pm
You are seriously confusing yourself for not reason, why are you making a build with 1080 gtx when you are at 1080p? that is pure waste boss.

the same for hailstorm case and etc.

My config will max out your games at 1080p and will be more quiet and less change of things going bad/wrong like leak or pump failure.

If you need more room just add a 1tb wd black edition to my config.

all you need to do is change the gpu in 2 to 3 years to max out games. that goes for both 1060 and 1080.

Now if you want to go with a different case that is fine, I would not use the hailstorm for your system its overkill at most I would is the velox case it has great airflow and not so much price comparing to hailstorm.

Edited by DST4ME - 17 Aug 2016 at 3:08pm
Hoze928 View Drop Down

Quote Hoze928 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 8:59pm
Yea I started this build with getting a PC that would get me down the road I'm one of those buy once cry once kind of people. Have learned over the years to get the best gear you can afford it pays off in the end. I don't own a monitor yet so I can make a jump up to 2560x1440 easily. I actually started at the Aventum my son has one very nice machine but I didn't want to spend that. My research and what you and others said makes me lean toward spending a bit more now to get a better PC. There are games coming out I'm sure I would not mind playing so going 1080 or 1070 card at least seems to make more sense with an upgrade in parts. Plan on ordering in a few days since I have a backpacking trip coming up next week. Dst you've been great answering questions I aporiciate it do you happen to work in the PC field?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 10:09pm
I have been building pcs for many years now all my family and friends use me as their builder or tech support or both. I'm good with both hardware and software.

However its been many years since I have actually been in the field, I have a few different businesses now but non are in the pc field anymore.

Ok so 1440p then a 1070 should do you fine.

I get the idea of go with best part to last longer, I advise that about cpu all the time, but for gpu best option to get the max performance out of your pc is to get something that will let you max out games at your res now and then in 2 to 3 years upgrade your gpu, no other way around it. For example the 1080 gtx already is more powerful then the titan of last year. Look at this chart the "titan x" is last year's titan (maxwell not pascal), look at how much more powerful the 1080 is and that is just one year, so imagine what that titan x will look like in 3 years from now, not only will not be able to hold a candle to the new gpus out then but it will also need to be changed due to lack of power.

As you can see even the 1070 does better:

just something to think about. My advise go with 1070 for 1440p and then upgrade in 2 to 3 years, no matter what you go with you gonna have to do that so why over spend now?

Its been a pleasure helping boss

Edited by DST4ME - 17 Aug 2016 at 10:12pm
Hoze928 View Drop Down

Quote Hoze928 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 10:25am
That makes sense if I'm going to have to upgrade the gpu in a few years anyway. I've built a new Velox changed a few parts not to sure on the motherboard I picked I might have gone a bit overboard on it. Can you give it a look hopefully for the last time to see if I'm not out of balance somewhere. I really appreciate it my brain is starting to hurt from all the stuff I've been reading. Price on this one is $3057
System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Velox
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA
Expansion Bay: Option Not Available
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 8x / CD-Writer 8x) (Internal)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1070 8GB (EVGA ACX 3.0) (VR Ready)
CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.8GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 2:57pm
Nope.

32gb of ram is a waste you will never use it for your use. 16gb is to future proof you for the next 3 years atleast.

no need for that mobo.

psu is too big for this build even if it had a 1080.

the noctua will be more quiet and same perfomrance as the h115

your oc is too high.

this system is your money well built, will match and beat the perfomrance of your config:

VeloxP

Also notice I have the 950 pro ssd in there that is much faster.

Edited by DST4ME - 18 Aug 2016 at 2:58pm
Hoze928 View Drop Down

Quote Hoze928 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 8:44pm
Thanks DST4ME I can read all I want but trying to future proof a PC doesn't mean the parts you pick work well together. I aporiciate someone who has some insight on what works well together for their money. Try to get this baby ordered tomorrow. Thanks again
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 9:45pm
My pleasure

You can upgrade that gpu in about 3 years and you are set to max out games in the next 6 years, after that its time for a new pc.

You have anymore questions let us know

Edited by DST4ME - 19 Aug 2016 at 12:55am
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 1:08am
Originally posted by DST4ME

Nope.

32gb of ram is a waste you will never use it for your use. 16gb is to future proof you for the next 3 years atleast.

no need for that mobo.

psu is too big for this build even if it had a 1080.

the noctua will be more quiet and same perfomrance as the h115

your oc is too high.

this system is your money well built, will match and beat the perfomrance of your config:

VeloxP

Also notice I have the 950 pro ssd in there that is much faster.
actually the 280mm AIO will probably out perform it some, but be hella louder due to those awful fans. 

the D15 is fugly but the all-around the better buy because it'll never break down (w/the exception of a fan replacement after 60K hours or more-oops, make that 150K) and it's quieter.  plus you get some area cooling over the ram and mobo. 

or you could just go with this and call it a day: 

Edited by db188 - 19 Aug 2016 at 2:27am
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Hoze928 View Drop Down

Quote Hoze928 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 1:38am
I live in an apartment so noise is something I really want to minimize as much as possible. That is a great picture
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 4:08am
I find noctua to be pretty, every time I see it, it screems I'm the king

for the aio to beat noctua we are talking very loud fan noise all the way around.
Hoze928 View Drop Down

Quote Hoze928 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 5:15am
As long as it keeps the gear cool and I don't have to add anymore fans I'm good with it. So in this case it does look like bigger is better.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 5:25am
In fans bigger fans move more air at lower rpm than a smaller fan, and the faster a fan moves the louder it is.

In rads bigger is better because you get better heat exchange.
Hoze928 View Drop Down

Quote Hoze928 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 5:36am
At what point in a pc build do you add the liquid system?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 5:42am
Well depends on where everything is going, and what you got and where it fits, for example you may put the rad on top before you put the mobo in or vise versa. In my system for example first came the mobo then came the top rad/fans. Put the blocks on gpus, then you seat everything else, add pumps, run the cables, add the reservoir, run the tubes and fittings, etc.

Depending on where everything goes most times some parts go in when you are adding other things, but the tubes and etc will go on pretty much last.

Edited by DST4ME - 19 Aug 2016 at 5:46am
Hoze928 View Drop Down

Quote Hoze928 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 5:45am
So it's a bit harder to add as an upgrade later? At what spec/power range does it make sense to add liquid system at 2 graphics cards?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 5:54am
IF the system is already under LC then all you have to do is take out the say gpu and old block, and add the new gpu and new block (first add block to gpu, then add gpu/block to loop).

If you want to build lc from scratch, you can go open loop but not as complicated as mine or go aio like swiftech.

the swiftech is a great starter IMHO or a fist step into lc, as long as one understands that its a starter and not the full effect/experience/performance.

but adding your own open loop is not that hard either IMHO.

LC is mainly a luxury, for most users here. Its useful if you want to push your oc to higher end of its ability. Or You need to have lower temps then air. Or You have parts that can yield great gains, for example titan pascal on lc will oc a good amount so if you are getting a titan plan to lc it and put it under heavy oc yourself (DS oc is mild on gpu). If you want a quiet system you need a custom lc loop with custom quiet fans on it, so that is another reason to get lc, less noise.

Others just like to have LC system for cooling and feel comfortable working on it if they have to. I enjoy working on my lc.

For me its not about price range, its about the user's comfort level with working on the lc system because things happen.

If you are comfortable with working on it and have the budget, my question is "why not"? But when I say lc I mean open loop or as they call it here hydrolux "pro".

Edited by DST4ME - 19 Aug 2016 at 5:58am
Hoze928 View Drop Down

Quote Hoze928 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 7:30am
Thanks that is good to know if one is not handy and hates working on things not the way to go. But it doesn't require a certain level of gear to use if you just want quiet and like to tinker. Might be the way to go for me in a few years when I will need to make my first upgrade.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>