Post Date: 2021-11-20

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sorata View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sorata Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need help on a few options
    Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 9:22am
Okay so I am replacing my PC (Alienware R7 with a GTX 1080ti) that had the GPU bite the dust. What I want is the most performance I can in 4k on my games. I think I got a good setup picked out and went with the Lumos case as it will be on the right side of my desk so I can see the internals. Anyway I am confused on a few things.

I will mostly use a Alienware 7.1 Gaming Headset (AW510H) for audio. Will I need to get an audio card of would the motherboards built in audio be good enough.

With this setup is the power supply sufficient or do I need a larger one?

On the liquid cooling I hear colored fluids have issues causing damage to the tubes and internals that clear fluid wont. I also have seen post that clear fluid will somewhat work with any color scheme as it will pick up the light inside and reflect it to a degree. Is this correct?

Also for an SSD for the OS should I go with a Samsung 980 Pro or the Firecuda 520 for the OS drive?
I know for a second and or third game dedicated drive the 980 would be better but for the OS drive should I just get the 520 though slower its talked about as lasting longer? Should I get a small SSD just for the OS alone? I have a buddy who says I should get a seperate drive just for the OS and nothing else.
I wish they had 2TB 980 Pro option. I am thinking for storage go Firecuda 520 then add a 980 pro for a game drive to go with my external WDBLACK D30 2TB I had bought just before the GPU failure which I never got to use :(

Budget:
Expectations:
Gaming 4k
Usage:
Gaming 4k
Special Needs:
none
Saved Ticket #: [Please Type Here]

Specifications:
Item 1 --- Digital Storm (Config # 4178490)
Chassis
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos

Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i9-12900K (5.2 GHz Turbo) (24-Thread) (16-Core) 3.2 GHz (Alder Lake)
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus Z690 Hero (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z690 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E) (No SLI) (DDR5)

System Memory: 32GB DDR5 5200MHz FURY Beast (BACKORDERED ETA END OF DECEMBER)
Power Supply: 850W Digital Storm Performance Series (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)

Storage / Connectivity
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 980 PRO) (NVM Express)

Storage Set 2: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 980 PRO) (NVM Express)

HDD Set 2: 1x SSD M.2 (2TB Seagate FireCuda 520) (NVM Express) (Gen4 PCIe)

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3090 24GB (VR Ready) (Performance Edition)

Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (1x Graphics Card + CPU)

HydroLux Tubing Style: HardLine Tubing (Requires HydroLux PRO Custom Liquid Cooling System)

HydroLux Fluid Color: Clear Fluid + Clear Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)

Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Black - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)

Chassis Fans: Cooler Master MasterFan Halo (RGB Fans) (Remote Control Only)

Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 5.1GHz on All CPU Cores

Boost OS: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system

Software
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 11 Home (64-Bit)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows)

Edited by Sorata - 20 Nov 2021 at 11:44am
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by Sorata

I will mostly use a Alienware 7.1 Gaming Headset (AW510H) for audio. Will I need to get an audio card of would the motherboards built in audio be good enough.

You should be fine.

Asus Maximus Z690 Hero User Manual | ASUS Support
(Page 70)

With this setup is the power supply sufficient or do I need a larger one?

It's doable but I'd highly recommend a 1000W.

OuterVision Power Supply Calculator

Processor: Intel Core i9-12900K (5.2 GHz Turbo) (24-Thread) (16-Core) 3.2 GHz (Alder Lake)

Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 5.1GHz on All CPU Cores

Intel Core i7-12700K & 12700KF CPU Review, Benchmarks, & Efficiency | Gamers Nexus (YouTube)

Overclocking the 12900k is pointless and dangerous! Heat and Voltage testing | JayzTwoCents (YouTube)

Everyone should watch this video!

On the liquid cooling I hear colored fluids have issues causing damage to the tubes and internals that clear fluid wont. I also have seen post that clear fluid will somewhat work with any color scheme as it will pick up the light inside and reflect it to a degree. Is this correct?

This fluid has been running for TWO YEARS! Did it hold up? | JayzTwoCents (YouTube)

I think, clear looks very nice, plus it allows you to change the mood/theme simply by adjusting the LEDs. I couldn't find a good example of a hardline loop Lumos rig, however, the following should give you an idea of how light passes through the tubes.

(The animated version is tiny because of the file size restrictions.)

Also for an SSD for the OS should I go with a Samsung 980 Pro or the Firecuda 520 for the OS drive?
I know for a second and or third game dedicated drive the 980 would be better but for the OS drive should I just get the 520 though slower its talked about as lasting longer? Should I get a small SSD just for the OS alone? I have a buddy who says I should get a seperate drive just for the OS and nothing else.
I wish they had 2TB 980 Pro option. I am thinking for storage go Firecuda 520 then add a 980 pro for a game drive to go with my external WDBLACK D30 2TB I had bought just before the GPU failure which I never got to use :(

NVMe SSDs are fast. For just the OS, even the Samsung 970 would be totally fine. As to separate drives... The main reason is because very large capacity SSDs are still very expensive. So, you'd have a fair size main drive and the second would be mass storage -- at this point HDDs are so much more cost effective if you don't need/want cutting edge speed. For gaming, running the OS and games from the same NVMe SSD isn't likely to cause any noticeable performance hit. The OS and most other apps (e.g., chat) will not require enough disk access to matter. However, if you intend to do recording/streaming, then separating the OS drive with the OBS software, etc from your game library should be beneficial.

With that said...

The Samsung drives are cheaper and technically faster than the equivalent Seagate models (i.e., capacity and connection type - PCIe 3 or PCIe 4). As for configuration, for example, you could do a 500GB or 1TB Samsung 980 for Storage Set 1 and perhaps a 2TB Samsung 970 for Storage Set 2 as a mass storage (e.g., games library). Or perhaps a 2TB Firecuda single drive config. Be aware, as you can see, >1TB models decrease in cost value, and can cause straight up sticker shock.

Graphics Card(s): GeForce RTX 3090 24GB (VR Ready) (Performance Edition)

The 3090's sole benefit is double the VRAM. At this point, most games have not surpassed the 8GB of VRAM utilization barrier. So, doubling the VRAM from 12GB to 24GB is completely pointless in the foreseeable future. In other words, you'll be paying 50% more than the GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12GB (VR Ready) but only gaining possibly 5%.

RTX 3080 Ti vs RTX 3090 - Test in 10 Games | Testing Games (YouTube)

Edited by MrCheetah - 20 Nov 2021 at 2:51pm
"White lightning": be quiet 500DX white, Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming, Intel Core i7 11700K, 64GB HyperX Fury, EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3090, 2TB WD_Black SN850, Corsair iCue H150i Elite Capellix white
Sorata View Drop Down

Quote Sorata Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 4:33pm
Thanks. Great info.

I don't foresee the I9-12900k and denuvo issue being an issue for me. I wont have mine till after december anyway so by then it should be worked out and I dont run a lot of DRM games. I will drop the OC addon.

Thanks, that helped me choose the drives and the liquid cooling :)

Appreciate the info on the 3090. I am trying to future proof a bit (want this one to last about 5 years) and the one I picked is the only 3090 option that takes liquid cooling :( but i will look some more into that and may take your advice and go with the 3080TI. Right now benching test with a couple of the games I play at 4k shows a 15-20 percent increase in some with the 3090 over 3080TI ie Death Stranding but most games its really close by about 5 frames.
Just watched a video saying the 3080ti is a waste vs the 3080 and 3090, confused lol I need to dig more before finalizing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtkk-_0jrPU

On the PSu I tried the app you linked to but it doesn't have all the options I needed. I assume if I was to add say 3-4 external USB based HDD storage devices then Ill need more than the 850 watt supply. Since I am choosing Exotic Cable Management I have to go modular right and not semi modular? This leaves me to choose between a 1200 watt modular and 1000 watt semi modular.

You sir have been a big help. Thanks.

Edited by Sorata - 20 Nov 2021 at 5:54pm
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 6:21pm
MrCheetah,

I was impressed with how in depth you went covering the issues Sorata was considering about his configuration.

I am always impressed with how the folks in the Digital Storm Forum provide pro technical advice to anybody asking for assistance!

Velox/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3200 DSPS/850 W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler dual fan/
Sorata View Drop Down

Quote Sorata Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by Onkel_Ken

MrCheetah,

I was impressed with how in depth you went covering the issues Sorata was considering about his configuration.

I am always impressed with how the folks in the Digital Storm Forum provide pro technical advice to anybody asking for assistance!

Yes he has been very helpful. Cant thank him enough.
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by Onkel_Ken

Thanks. I hope you're enjoying the new rig, and are able to keep the eye condition(s) under control to better enjoy it.

Routine eye drops are inconvenient enough, but them plus surgeries...

Yes he has been very helpful. Cant thank him enough.

Thanks. I'm glad it's helpful. On that subject...

On the PSu I tried the app you linked to but it doesn't have all the options I needed.

OuterVision hasn't updated the calculator with 12th gen. Intel CPUs yet. Even after, you somewhat need to select close enough components, which I typically over-estimate a bit. Nevertheless, it is a tool to keep in mind.

Appreciate the info on the 3090. I am trying to future proof a bit (want this one to last about 5 years) and the one I picked is the only 3090 option that takes liquid cooling :( but i will look some more into that and may take your advice and go with the 3080TI. Right now benching test with a couple of the games I play at 4k shows a 15-20 percent increase in some with the 3090 over 3080TI ie Death Stranding but most games its really close by about 5 frames.

Indeed, try to locate benchmarks of your preferred games. My basis wasn't just on user benchmarks but also tech specs comparison. The 3080 Ti's binned die is only 2.44% less capable than the 3090's full GPU die.

Since I am choosing Exotic Cable Management I have to go modular right and not semi modular? This leaves me to choose between a 1200 watt modular and 1000 watt semi modular.

I can't say with absolute certainty, although, considering DS configurator doesn't show any warnings when choosing such a config and the following stock image, the type is moot.

I don't know if it's the common method, however, this photo shows the premium cables as extensions to the PSU's originals.

Just watched a video saying the 3080ti is a waste vs the 3080 and 3090, confused lol I need to dig more before finalizing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtkk-_0jrPU

Gamers Nexus is a great source, and they aren't wrong in the recommendation. The issue being is that the distaste is due to the prices (both MSRP and the actual craziness). The RTX 3080 is a good 4K performer. The 3090 is also a bad value for gamers, but like most premiere/top tier products, it's the only go-to to eek out every last drop.

Beyond GN's benchmarks, where the 3090 was <20% better in gaming than the 3080 (non-Ti), the price difference is more than twice. Those figures are inline with other tasks, namely, 3D rendering. My RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra scores ~715 in OctaneBench while my RTX 3080 Founders Edition scores ~606, an ~15% difference. The somewhat saving grace for the investment in such a case is 3D rendering utilizes/depends a lot on VRAM.

P.S.
I happened across this:
The ULTIMATE i9 12900k Gaming PC Build! - RTX 3080 Ti, Alder Lake Gameplay Benchmarks | PC Centric (YouTube)
(Seems on the nose. )

P.P.S.

I don't foresee the I9-12900k and denuvo issue being an issue for me. I wont have mine till after december anyway so by then it should be worked out and I dont run a lot of DRM games. I will drop the OC addon.

Agreed. I'm assuming Intel and Microsoft are scrambling to eliminate that black eye.
"White lightning": be quiet 500DX white, Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming, Intel Core i7 11700K, 64GB HyperX Fury, EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3090, 2TB WD_Black SN850, Corsair iCue H150i Elite Capellix white
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 8:44pm
Velox/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3200 DSPS/850 W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler dual fan/
Sorata View Drop Down

Quote Sorata Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 9:01pm
MrCheetah

Thanks for that image. I forgot about it totally. Seems Ill be fine with the 1000 watt power supply. Also since all my drives are gonna be M.2 on the motherboard after seeing that image of the two HDDs on the side if my case ends up similar Ill take two drives out of my Alienware and add them

Yeah the 3080 and 3090 benchmarks vary so much in certain games but are so close in others its giving me a headache. Really wanna buy once cry once.

Once again thanks you helped me sort out everything but me mulling over my final choice of GPU. I have to look at a lot more testing with the various games and programs I have and see overall which does the most the best or at a reasonable margin between them and decide. Again thanks, your awesome.

Watching the video now

Edited by Sorata - 20 Nov 2021 at 9:22pm
Sorata View Drop Down

Quote Sorata Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 9:17pm
Well I thought i was done but when I was updating the configuration number I noticed the lighting system had an option I didn't see.
Anyone know the difference in the Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes) and the Digital Storm LED Lighting System? They are the same price but the digital storm one has no description.
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 9:55pm
Good question. Unfortunately, we have not determined the answer either and are just as curious.

Most recent discussion on the subject
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 10:03pm
Here is an article describing the 3180 video card that I just got in my new beast yesterday. Powerful enough to be so close to the 3090 in performance to save a bunch of money.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/evga-geforce-rtx-3080-ftw3-ultra/

Edited by Onkel_Ken - 20 Nov 2021 at 10:03pm
 Post Reply Post Reply