FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need help on setting up a build :)

Post Date: 2011-03-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LoneRanger View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote LoneRanger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need help on setting up a build :)
    Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 2:54am

Hello i just recently stumbled on DS sorta like bilbo finding the ring Big%20Smile

I am a tech noob however i have done alot of research on every single part of the pc. My current budget is at about 2000 for just the tower i can push to about 2500 if i really have to. I need this computer to play games such as Rift and SC2 on max settings while still maintaining really high fps and no lag. My current pc plays rift with a proud 3-5 fps and graphics looking like a childs drawing ,acutally i think a childs drawing would look better Cry.

I will list all of the parts of the pc with my thoughts and whatnot and i would love to see what you guys come up with Big%20Smile

This pc will be used mostly for gaming and my online school work (school work is nothing crazy)

I currently am trying to fit in these specs

Nvidia Geforce Gtx 580 single card (would be upgrading to sli whenever they drop more in price)

I had heard the 580 was the best of the best and beat every other lower and cheaper sli card options.

I dont understand anything about overclocking and i mean nothing so overclocking is just not a option for me becuase i dont want to blow up my pc i cant afforod anthor one lol , so i was thinking of trying to squeeze in a hex core intel processor since i cant overclock.

Im%20with%20Stupid

Hard drives have been a huge pain for me in deciding ssd or the hdd all in all i would rather get a nice ssd because sitting at loading screens are no fun Big%20Smile

Seconed hard drive maybe 1 TB of hdd for junk i will probally never use but still want installed and is choosing which program goes on which drive hard to figure out or manage?

Ram i would like 8gb or more i pref corsair they got great reviews.

Motherboard no idea really usb 3.0 sounds nice still not 100% sure what it is tho haha so once again
Im%20with%20Stupid

Power Supply i was thinking 1000 watts of corsair for
my future sli i will be doing later on or maybe somthing else is better dunno?

Sound cards sound neat would like to cram one in if possible

Air flow and cooling are way over my head and we will leave it at that lol

I already have a mouse and i havent been able to find a decent backlight keyboard with good reviews.

Speakers i havent been able to find a pair with good reviews so i would love some help finding a pair.

Monitor I would love a lcd 1920 1080 hd led backlit monitor around 24-27 inches with low ms. Big%20Smile

I was thinking of 3d still in debate mode over that i just remember i use to love the imax Big%20Smile

I hope i didnt forget anything if i did please let me know

Thanks for any help and having patience with my noobiness / taking the time to help a follow gamer. Love

Quote LoneRanger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 3:02am
did i really just typo fellow wow just fail on my part lol...............
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 3:08am
you got a lot of bad info, single 580 does not beat sli 560/570 at all,and for the money its not the best buy, the 570 is.

OCing is very simple and has nothing to do with you, DS oces the cpu and its under warranty with the OC.

OC is nothing but settings in the bios, you can simply disable it in one move by setting bios to default.

cpu is the brain of your pc, ocing it is like making it go much faster, imagine if you could think 10 faster then you could now, that is kinda like what you do when the cpu gets oced, it makes the biggest difference in your pc's speeds, its a must have.

also 6 core 990x is not faster then the 4 core 2600k, newer chips are stronger, run cooler and oc higher easier.

your hdds setup is like this:

HDD1 = fast small drive: os/apps/games

HDD2 = regular large drive: media/personal/work file storage

you can always add ssd later and you should do so when gen 3 intels come out.

ram are the same, going corsair here is a waste of your money, and getting more then 8GB is also waste of your money.

usb 3.0 is faster then usb 2.0, as long as the part you are connecting to usb 3.0 is also usb 3.0 compatible, sticking a usb stick that is 2.0 to a 3.0 port, will result in 2.0 speeds.

when shopping for monitors forget response time and contrast ratio, they are BS numbers there to fool us, first thing that makes a monitor a good one is picture quality, that is dependent on the panel used, TN panels have lower quality while IPS panels have great picture quality, right now tho they don't make them with 3d.

configing a system for a regular 60Hz monitor and 240Hz 3d monitor are two different story, you will need about twice the power to run 3D.

this can go sli in the future:

Here you go Ticket# 505709 --- $2223 (To see this build click here)

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (Intel P67 Chipset) (New & Improved B3 Revision Without SATA 3G Issue)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (Model: Black Edition WD1002FAEX)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua NH-U12P SE Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: FREE: Overclock the processor between 3.6GHz to 3.9GHz
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: FREE: Hot-selling game with a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 or above graphics card
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Quote LoneRanger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 3:26am

First off really fast response thanks!! If the 570 sli is better then a single 580 maybe i should go with sli 570? Glad to hear that about overclocking then so i can just leave it alone at the overclocking i get from ds and dont have to manage it or anything. What monitor would you maybe recommend its hard to find one with good reviews? I will just stay away from 3d for now just saw the price of the bundles and it would hurt my budget to much. 

I forgot to add in my post that i need this pc to last for a very long time such as still being able to run diablo 3 at max when it comes out :)
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 11:34pm
sli 570 is much better then single 580, sli 570 is more like sli 580.

yup you don't have to manage anything.

here are some great monitors:

Dell UltraSharp U2311H 23

Dell UltraSharp U2410

Dell UltraSharp U3011 30"

Quote LoneRanger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 11:56pm

Almost done thanks for the help , just one last question is it worth to pay for better cooling so i can overclock to stage ones 4.0-4.5? or is it just not that much difference vs the free overclocking?

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2011 at 12:20am
you can go to the next stage with Noctua, in gaming you many not notice the difference if the gpu is already giving you what you need but in apps you will notice it big time.

4.2 and 3.9GHz is not that different, but 4.5 and 9GHz are.

Edited by DST4ME - 23 Mar 2011 at 12:21am

Quote LoneRanger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2011 at 12:28am

I will just stick with the free overclocking then, i was just thinking some more power for games however at this point if i can save a little extra thats better. I am sticking with your build you linked and setup however i am going to go ahead and upgrade to the 580 and get sli 580s before diablo 3 comes out. My very last question then i promise would be is the cooling good enough to hande the sli 580s and this overclocked processor or should i upgrade next stage of air cooling as you said? Or would i need liquid cooling? Thanks again for taking the time to help me couldnt of done it without you and i hope to get this order in tonight so i dont miss out on the sweet 10% off.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2011 at 12:33am
the haf x can do sli anything you like.

if its 580 that does it for then the 580 is what you should get, just keep in mind it goes against saving money cause you won't notice the difference between sli 570 and sli 580 at that res.

Quote LoneRanger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2011 at 1:07am
Instead of handing my pc over to geeksquad to add my new 580 card down the road or risk killing my system adding it myself i am going sli now. I def get what your saying about price however i would rather shell out a extra 300 to make this pc hopefully last long enough to max diablo 3 out. I will upgrade to the next stage of Noctua too doesnt cost that much more. Really happy to avoid liquid cooling :)
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Mar 2011 at 2:14am
OK but again, sli 580 is no more future proof then sli 570, let me put it this way, what sli 580 can do, sli 570 can do at your res, just fyi.

you don't need to take your pc to geeksquad nor will you kill anything adding a gpu, when you are ready to upgrade you can come here and we will walk you thru, it will take 2 minutes and its easier then turning a doorknob, but again its up to you.

Quote LoneRanger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 3:51pm
Sorrys its been awhile got busy with stuff anywho heres my final build what do you think?  Ticket number- 506776
The only thing its missing is a ssd which i decided to skip it would add to much money on my budget

Placing my order tonight :)
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 6:31pm
I would go with DS ram, and the 1TB black caviar.

Quote LoneRanger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 11:29pm

why 1tb instead of 2? Ds ram is a unknown brand corsair has great reviews? Placing my order soon! :)

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2011 at 12:42am
Well the if you have use for the 2TB go ahead but normally 1TB is great for storage.

and will let you put the money toward a good intel ssd, teh 320 tho not as fast as others, IMHO still stays as one of the most reliable and looks like it will give you little better than gen2 performance but at a much better price.

ultimately we are shooting for this:

HDD1 = fast small drive: os/apps/games

HDD2 = regular large drive: media/personal/work file storage

ram is all pretty much the same, so its not like you losing any noticeable performance.

Quote LoneRanger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2011 at 2:08am

Nice the intel 320 is out! How can i get the 320 ssd in my pc its not on the options list?

Edited by LoneRanger - 29 Mar 2011 at 2:08am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2011 at 4:17am
Once they add it, then you can get it.

also if I'm not mistaken only the 40GB and 80GB versions are out.

Quote LoneRanger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2011 at 5:09am
There are alot of versions out i am thinking of going with the 160gb or the 300gb version there is even a 600gb version. They have it up on amazon but its all sold out. Well i hope DS hurrys up with it then i need to order this pc already lol. Once again thanks for helping me out :)
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2011 at 3:57pm
Ya I see it now, looks like they new gen has better iops 4k read and write then gen 2 specially in write.

gen 2:

and look at gen 3:

move to the right so you see write speeds also, its a big pic.

Edited by DST4ME - 29 Mar 2011 at 4:01pm

Quote LoneRanger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2011 at 6:38pm

Wow what a difference!

Edited by LoneRanger - 29 Mar 2011 at 6:41pm
damet View Drop Down

Quote damet Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2011 at 6:43pm
read is more important no? not that big of a jump in read speeds.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 1:52am
Well yes, we were not expecting a huge performance increase, but we were expecting a good price difference which is there, but of course most of all we like this series (x25/320) for its controller and the reliability and wear and tear.
 Post Reply Post Reply