Post Date: 2008-06-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kclemens View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kclemens Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need help!
    Posted: 13 Jun 2008 at 10:37pm
Is this normal?  Can anyone review it and tell me what it means?  I feel dumb. Confused

Are those temperatures normal?  I also ordered overclocking.  I'm just being sure.

Also, while trying to play Age of Conan:

I get to the login screen and sometimes I get a checkered type of appearance. The entire screen is like checkered. I enter my account info and login. After that, I cannt see my selected character or any of the background that he is standing in. When I hit play, the game loads fine. I can see my chat box, HUD, etc. What I cannot see is my character or the terrain. I am not sure how to fix the issue.

Edited by kclemens - 13 Jun 2008 at 11:44pm
kclemens View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kclemens Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2008 at 11:31pm
I am also running OCCT and after a minute it stops and says my CPU is too hot!  Do I need to remove my overclocking?
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2008 at 12:18am

I am *not* a computer science guy, but I will take my best shot at this. Hopefully someone will come along and correct whatever mistakes I may make.

Name: Pretty straight forward, the model of CPU

Code Name: the generation of chip. Last time out, it was Kentsfield for core2quads, this time, it's Yorkfield.

Package: This is the socket type of the CPU, and indicates the type of motherboard required (obviously if you're reading this on screen, that's all been sorted)

Technology: This is the fab process, and indicates the die size. The smaller this number (generally), the lower the amount of energy required, and so, the lower the operating temperature.

Specification: The speed the chip is intended to work at.

Family-Revision: Identifies exactly which production run your chip is from, and the type, again.

Instructions: These are referring to instruction types the CPU can recognize. MMX, for example, is an Intel instruction set for parallel processing of data by the CPU. The "SS" designated items indicate additional instruction sets usable by the CPU. The other major piece of information here is the last item, EM64T. This means the CPU supports 64 bit instruction.

Core Speed: The current speed of the CPU. C1E Halt state, or Speed Step can temporarily lower this number when the system is in an idle state to conserve electricity.

Multiplier: How many instructions the CPU will execute per clock cycle. As with the "Core Speed" reading, the current value displayed may be reduced by BIOS settings.

Bus Speed: The clock speed of the front side bus. The effective speed, also known as the QDR in current Intel CPU's is in the next field...

Rated Front Side Bus: The effective speed the FSB is operating at. Because the FSB carries data at four points in each clock cycle, it's effectively operating as though the clock speed were four times faster, hence, "quad pumped" or quadruple data rate (QDR).

In the case of your processor, the orginal FSB speed was 1333. This means the base clock speed was ~333MHz. Looking at the fields listed, your current clock speed is 425MHz, so you are definitely running overclocked.

The Cache fields show the size of your CPU's L1 and L2 data cache. The L2 cache is organized into two 3MB sized portions, for a total of 6MB.

Coretemp actually shows you your true speed, which is 425*7, or 2.975 GHz. This is your actual overclocked speed. When your CPU experiences load, you will see the same value reflected in CPUz.

VID: The lower this number, the less power it takes to achieve stock speeds. This is a value in the CPU which instructs the motherboard as to how much power should be allowed through the MOSFETs (voltage regulators on the motherboard) to power the CPU. Chips with lower VIDs generally overclock better. I have no idea what the average VID of a Q9300 is, sorry.

Those temperatures seem high to me for idle, but without knowing the room temps, or the case your system is housed in, I can't say with any certainty. *However* if those are your idle temps, and the room is not extraordinarily hot, I would suspect a poor contact with the CPU heatsink, or a non operational fan, or a fan speed set incorrectly in the BIOS. It is possible one or more of the CPU heat sink/fan pushpins isn't seated properly as well.

Edited by Tyler Lowe - 14 Jun 2008 at 12:21am
kclemens View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kclemens Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2008 at 12:19am
My house is at 74 deg. fehr.  750si case.

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2008 at 12:23am
Honestly, those temps seem very high for the level of overclocking here. You can check your current Vcore setting in your BIOS, and make sure it isn't set to something extreme, but I would not put any serious stress on that system. In fact, if possible, I would not use it at all until you can contact DSO and properly troubleshoot this.

I see Alex is lurking on the boards right now. Now is about the time I used to PM him... oh yeah, we can't. Pinch

Edited by Tyler Lowe - 14 Jun 2008 at 12:28am
kclemens View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kclemens Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2008 at 12:48am
Ok, so I have this eerie feeling I have a bad video card.  I installed Crysis and the intro movies ran fine, and when I get to the gameplay part the screen is pitch black.  I am running Vista 64-bit and when I alt+Tab out I have a little yellow warning in the icon area in the bottom right saying my video drivers were successfully recovered.  I upgraded to the latest drivers and still the same issue.  Any help would be great.

Edited by kclemens - 14 Jun 2008 at 2:15am
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2008 at 2:23am

has it happened with any other game?

conan sounds like a version or software clash, the crysis one is the dreaded nvkklm, are both copys out of a box, dare i ask?

Edited by !ender_ - 14 Jun 2008 at 2:26am
kclemens View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kclemens Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2008 at 11:28am
Yes they are both bought out of the box and on DVDs.  Crysis and AoC do the intro graphics fine, and load fine, and when it gets to user-controlled it is black and freezes with spuratic jumps where I can see grapihcs and then back to the black abyss.  I alt tab out and it says drivers have stopped working and have successfully recovered.

need help!!!
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2008 at 11:36am
intro graphics are simply movies, so i wouldnt base too much off them working, they would play in wmp correctly
the driver stop thing is kinda scaring me though because it sounds like the completely dreaded nvvklm stop errors, what mobo do you have 780?

id try something older, like counter strike or wow, see how those graphics perform

and all the obvious update the drivers stuff
kclemens View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kclemens Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2008 at 12:14pm
nvvklm stop errors

Yes, I just tried Crysis again and that is what it said!  How do I fix that?

Was nvlddmkm stop error

Edited by kclemens - 14 Jun 2008 at 12:20pm
kclemens View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kclemens Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2008 at 1:03pm
Ok, I looked online and found a fix to my problem and Age of Conan ran smooth until I quit.  Now when I try to go run it again, it does the same stuff.  Annoying!

I have found and fixed the problem today. This is what appears to happen.
during the installation of the most current drivers 100.65 Vista, an OLD file
nvlddmkm.sys is copied into windows/system32/drivers and not the current one
in the install. As a result the new drivers are attempting to access a file
dated 11/2006 instead of 2/2007 ver 7.15.11.0065 which is in the newest WHQL
driver ver 100.65 vista 32.

Fix: Go to windows/system32/drivers and rename nvlddmkm.sys to
nvlddmkm.sys.old. Go to the nvidia directory and find the file nvlddmkm.sy_
and copy it to windows/system32. Using the cmd window (DOS box) type
EXPAND.EXE nvlddmkm.sy_ nvlddmkm.sys. When the expansion is complete, copy
the new nvlddmkm.sys to windows/system32/drivers and restart the computer.

Your computer should now work properly.

You will notice that any uninstall and reinstall of nvidia drivers will not
remove the old nvlddmkm.sys file and will not overwrite it with the newer
version. You have to do it manually. I do not know why this happens but who
cares as long it is fixed.

Good luck...

http://www.technologyquestions.com/technology/windows-vista/57075-display-driver-nvlddmkm-stopped-responding-fix.html?q=windows-vista/57075-display-driver-nvlddmkm-stopped-responding-fix.html

Edited by kclemens - 14 Jun 2008 at 1:06pm
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2008 at 1:29pm
im not sure how much you know or dont know about this nvkklm driver stop error, but its an ongoing epidemic, everyone blames everyone else for it and truthfully there is no 100% fix. you can find at least 50 valid quick fixes but it seems they rarely work for more than a small group of people. My first build was returned because of this, I PERSONALLY feel that it is nvidia's fault, more specifically thier mobos. Its completely unfounded, its just a feeling, but thats why i went with ASUS the second time around (among some other things)

your best option for the weekend would be back up what needs to be and scan through some other fixes to see if any work for you, you may also try getting GPUz and seeing what the temps on your GPU are.

I do NOT know of anyone who has had this problem with a 9 series card yet, i hope you are not the first and that the fix is simple, come back with your findings, but be sure to remember what you change so you dont make things worse

also, you said it ran smooth until you quit, do you mean until you quit playing and then you restarted the game right away or did you shut down/restart inbetween this? its possible something was reversed or changed if it worked great once then not a 2nd time

MarkNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MarkNY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2008 at 4:15pm

make sure you are running crysis in 64 bit.  Make sure you have Nvidia Network Manager uninstalled as it conflicts with the game on Vista 64. 

kclemens View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kclemens Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2008 at 7:53pm
The problem still persists.  Do I have to RMA my PC?
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2008 at 8:18pm
kclemens,

Don't worry. A lot of times, this issue can be isolated and resolved without sending the system back for service.

Follow the following steps:

0) Go into your BIOS (press DELETE constantly during power on) and Load Defaults and then Save and Exit. (IMPORTANT: If you have a RAID setup, you will need to re-enable RAID on your SATA channels).'

1) If it still occurs, unplug/remove any extra devices you added to the system (Example: scanner, printer, USB hub, etc)

2) Un-install any anti-virus/spyware etc software from the computer.

3) Run system restore to a point before you installed your software/games and after the computer was shipped from our facility.

4) Re-install your games and then test it.

5) If the problem still happens, go to NVIDIA.com and download the latest drivers for your chipset and video card(s). Save the files to a folder on your C: drive, not the desktop. Restart the computer in safe-mode (Press F8 constantly right before the Windows splash screen comes up). Once you are in safe-mode, go to your Control Panel and uninstall all NVIDIA drivers. Allow the system to re-start, but, once again, go back into safe-mode and install your chipset drivers first (IMPORTANT: Do not install the network access manager/firewall option). Restart back into safe-mode and also install your graphic drivers back. Go into normal Windows and then re-try and see if the problem is still there.

6) If it is, turn off SLI if you have two/three graphic cards.

7) If it still occurs, remove the side panel and have a house fan blow into the system and then try.

8) If it still occurs, check to see if you have any extra PCI devices (sound card, network card, physics card) and remove them and then re-try.

9) If it still occurs, remove all your memory sticks except one and try. If it still occurs, take out that stick and try a different stick in a different slot.

10) Re-seat your video card(s). Try one card at a time.

11) If it still occurs, call us on Monday and explain the steps you have taken and we will go from there. We will have to try a fresh install of Windows.

Hopefully that will isolate and fix the issue,
Alex

Edited by Alex - 14 Jun 2008 at 9:45pm
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2008 at 9:29pm

yea sorry alex the troubleshooting guide i promised is on the way soon!

he covered it all clemons, read and follow meticulously! If i didnt say already (yes im that lazy) did you try any older games, counter strike or wow? this may unveil a temperature/directX/etc compatibility problem
dont base everything off the 2 newest games you can get your hands on, obviously these are the ones you want to work, but unfortunately techno-troubleshooting like this is all about narrowing down the problem over and over until its pinpointed, so dont be afraid to try different things, regaurdless of how stupid or repetitive they sound, and report all that here.

a perfect example of that is when i was having a rediculous amount of problems with my computer and ended up having to replace the power supply... the first THREE times that i started the computer after the swap, i couldnt even get into windows!!! i was SO mad. then, after changing nothing at all, the 4th press of the power button magically worked with no issue.

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2008 at 10:34pm

In the rush to solve the GPU problems, did anyone figure out why this machine's CPU is idling at ~70*C?

!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 1:26am
hey one mountain at a time here mr lowe

but yes that is an extremely good question, so good in fact that you might want to DL a second temp monitor to make sure its right, bc without an overclock you should never see a number that high
kclemens View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kclemens Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 1:34am
Originally posted by Tyler Lowe

In the rush to solve the GPU problems, did anyone figure out why this machine's CPU is idling at ~70*C?

The PC is now idleing at mid 50's now.

Alex - Thank you very much.  I will try those steps first thing in the morning and see if it fixes it.  I will respond in the thread if it does or doesn't.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 1:45am
Originally posted by kclemens

The PC is now idleing at mid 50's now.

still way hotter than it should be
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 2:57am
Idle at 70'C seems very high. Did the heat-sink by any chance come slightly off? Also, is the fan actually spinning on the processor?

Load defaults on your BIOS (that's the first one I am having you try actually from my list of things) to turn off the overclocks to see if it is the heat.

Warm Regards,
Alex
kclemens View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kclemens Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 12:34pm
Alex, if it is the overclocks, do I just keep them off?  I did pay quite a bit for them and it's not anyone's fault if they are too hot but I was just wondering if I could call Monday and do a little less overclocking to where it will still be very stable but just a snigem faster?

I am running my second half to work and then I am going to try those steps.

Thanks,
Kody
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 12:38pm
Of course. We are trying to isolate the issue. If it is, we help you make the overclocks less agressive.

Regards,
Alex
kclemens View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kclemens Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 3:25pm
Alex, taking off the overclocking has seemed to have fixed the issue.  Now all I need it to make my fans run faster to my machine will run lower temps.

How do I increase the speed of the fans to a safe speed?  The noise is NOT an issue for me.  I would like to have a better cooled system.

-Kody
SunfighterLC View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 6:53pm

Last minute I decided to drop any overclocking options on my computer, i figured id be in your spot where id have to wipe out the overclock....thatd suck. Sucks that your system is quirky though..i havent run into any trouble with mine yet...which is mysterious considering the 790i problems ive heard..but oh well..i wont press my luck.

E8500@ 4.03Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Logitech Z-2300 2.1 Speakers
Asus Xonar 7.1
Hanns-G HG 281D 28" HDMI Monitor
kclemens View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kclemens Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 7:21pm
Yea, I might just get my money back for the overclocks if that is possible.
kclemens View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kclemens Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 9:41pm
Ok, update.  Whenever I reboot my machine it loads and then freezes when windows is loading.  I have re-seated all of the RAM and restored it to another point.  Nothing is working it just freezes and sits there.

And when it is booting up on the BIOS screen it has a message Floppy disk(s) fail (40)

Press F1 to continue, DEL to enter setup.

It did not do that before.  Any ideas?

And, when I boot into safe mode and run msconfig to turn off all of the startup programs, it boots and takes FOREVER to open anything...for example device manager.

I think I isolated the issue by removing AVG and turning that service off.  Will update on how it runs.

The floppy disk error still is present in the BIOS screen upon booting up.

Edited by kclemens - 15 Jun 2008 at 9:49pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 9:51pm
"Press F1 to continue, DEL to enter setup."

To resolve that, you must disable the floppy drive in the "Standard CMOS" setup screen. When you loaded defaults, it automatically re-enabled the floppy drive.

"And, when I boot into safe mode and run msconfig to turn off all of the startup programs, it boots and takes FOREVER to open anything...for example device manager."

Interesting. Assuming you have already unplugged all extra devices and tried one stick of memory at a time, and your overclocks are off. It may be a memory/FSB hole. Did you go back in the BIOS and set your memory frequency and timings? If you did, that's why. Leave everything at "Auto" and at defaults. Does that resolve it? What are your system specs?
kclemens View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kclemens Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 9:56pm
Alex, it seems to be running fine now.  I never did anything in the BIOS other than turn them back to defaults like you said.  I am on my PC right now and it is running great. 

Here are my specs:

Case: Digital Storm 750Si (Black Anodized Aluminum Finish)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair HX (Dual SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz (1333MHz FSB) (6MB Cache)
Motherboard: nVidia 780i Core 2 Quad (nForce 780i SLI)
Memory: 4GB DDR2 Corsair at 800MHz XMS2
Floppy / Card: - No Thanks
Hard Drive 1: 500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Hard Drive 2: - No Thanks
Raid Option: - No Thanks
Hard Drive 3: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x) (LightScribe Edition)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Network Card: D-Link Wireless-G 54Mbps (Supports 802.11g/b)
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 9800GTX 512MB
TV Tuner: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer (Recommended)
Physics Card: - No Thanks
Cooling: Air Cooled Stage 3 WindTunnel (Copper Heatpipe Heatsink & Zalman Case Fans)
Case Lighting: Blizzard Internal Lighting (Red Edition) (Cold Cathode Tubes)
Round Cables: - No Thanks
User Manual: Personalized Platinum Digital Storm Binder (Includes Paperwork/Benchmarks/CDs
/Manuals)
Overclock Processor: Yes, Overclock the processor as much as possible with complete stability
Overclock Video Card: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Overclock Memory: Yes, Overclock memory timings (Includes Corsair Dominator Airflow Fan Upgrade)
Tweak Windows: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit Edition) (For Enthusiasts)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Pre-Install Game: - No Thanks
LCD Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty
Support: Lifetime Toll-Free Platinum Care Technical Support

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 9:59pm
That's a good sign. Give us a call Monday and if it was the overclocks, we can either help you adjust them, or work a refund out on them.

Warm Regards,
Alex
kclemens View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kclemens Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 10:00pm
Alex, I just logged into Windows and the login screen had a tearing effect for a second.  I continued to login and it froze. I had my headset on.  There was a continuous beep. Really high pitched.

Does that mean a bad sound card?  Would that sound card cause a boot freeze?

I booted into SafeMode and once again disabled all automatic startup items.  Once again, it booted up golden and runs great.

Hmm...

I'm sorry to be a nuisance.  I wish it was working well!

Edited by kclemens - 15 Jun 2008 at 10:04pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 10:05pm
Creative has some really bad support and drivers for 64-Bit Vista. Mainly why we are going to be replacing them with Razer/Asus sound cards.

Remove the sound card and see how that works. Try to isolate the issue.

Don't worry, you are not being a nuisance. I want you up and running and enjoying that system.

Regards,
Alex
kclemens View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kclemens Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 10:07pm
The system runs great when I have all startup items disabled.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 10:16pm
Bingo. Something has installed on your system that is causing the issues. My advice is to pin-point which item it is and uninstall it for good.

Regards,
Alex
kclemens View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kclemens Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2008 at 12:30am
Alex, should I call tomorrow and have the techs help me with the cooling?  Im just in Firefox and im idleing at 62, 62, 59, 60 for Quads.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>