FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need Help Ugrading Ram

Post Date: 2020-06-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Zerocool83 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zerocool83 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need Help Ugrading Ram
    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 6:58pm
Hey guys, I'm totally computer illiterate, but I wanted a really nice gaming PC to run the Witcher 3, so I got the Vanquish 4 back in December 2015.  It did not disappoint.  Now with Cyberpunk 2077 around the corner, I wanted to upgrade my Vanquish 4 to get up to specs a bit.  Since I'm computer illiterate, I decided that upgrading from 8 GB of Ram to 16 is probably the safest thing I can do.  I'd love to upgrade my graphics card too, but I'm nervous I might mess something up.

Here are the specs of my Vanquish 4:
Chassis Model: - Pre-built Digital Storm VANQUISH 4 - Level 3
Processor: Intel Core i5 6600K 3.5GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS/GIGABYTE (Intel Z170 Chipset)
System Memory: 8GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 750W EVGA/Corsair
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (250GB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x (1TB Seagate (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: High Performance Cooler with Large Fan and Copper Pipes
CPU Boost: Overclock CPU 4.4GHz (Extreme Performance)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)

I checked and I have 2 x 4 GB of Corsair RAM.  Would it be better to get 2 x 8 GB of Ram or get 2 more of the 4 GB? Does anyone have any recommendations for RAM?  Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
GrandesBollas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 7:33pm
It would probably be better to get either 2 8 GB sticks or a complete kit of 4 4 GB sticks. Buying a second set of the same memory has the potential for incompatibility even with the same type of RAM. When you buy RAM as a kit, it has been tested to work together.

Using PC Partpicker, with a 6700K CPU and a Asus Z170-A motherboard, I found a list of compatible RAM varying from 2133 up to 3200 mHz. I also looked up the QVL (qualified vendor list) for that motherboard, and found the following RAM on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N1OYJA4?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

This RAM has really good timings - CL15. You may not be able to overclock it past 2666 mHz, but for sure you can run it at XMP (2666 mHz).
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 7:35pm

Quote Zerocool83 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 2:48am
Originally posted by GrandesBollas

It would probably be better to get either 2 8 GB sticks or a complete kit of 4 4 GB sticks. Buying a second set of the same memory has the potential for incompatibility even with the same type of RAM. When you buy RAM as a kit, it has been tested to work together.

Using PC Partpicker, with a 6700K CPU and a Asus Z170-A motherboard, I found a list of compatible RAM varying from 2133 up to 3200 mHz. I also looked up the QVL (qualified vendor list) for that motherboard, and found the following RAM on Amazon:

This RAM has really good timings - CL15. You may not be able to overclock it past 2666 mHz, but for sure you can run it at XMP (2666 mHz).

Thanks man! This is really helpful, I appreciate the info.  Is it complicated/necessary to overclock your RAM?  I'm pretty computer illiterate as I was saying, but if there's not a high probability of messing something up, I'd be willing to try.  I also looked into replacing graphics cards and it's less daunting than I thought, but I'm going to hold off on that part until I see how my current graphics card runs cyberpunk 077 as those things are expensive!
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 4:44am
No need to overclock the RAM or mess with timings. To get the rated speed of your RAM, you will need to go into the BIOS and toggle XMP for your CPU.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 5:57am
Replacing the GPU will not be too tough. I believe we have a still-relevant guide in "View Our Support Guides"> "Upgrade/Add Graphics Cards" by DST4ME.

If you're not aware, Nvidia is coming out with a whole new line in September. This close, I would encourage you to get by on what you have until you see what's new.
Muz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Muz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 9:45am
^^ I have he same card a 970 and am totally waiting until the 3000 series for which i would like to go with 3080 (not the TI) as i run 2560x1440

Quote Zerocool83 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by GrandesBollas

No need to overclock the RAM or mess with timings. To get the rated speed of your RAM, you will need to go into the BIOS and toggle XMP for your CPU.

Okay, cool. Thanks.  I'm pretty sure I can figure out how to do that. Maybe I won't be so computer illiterate for long.

Quote Zerocool83 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Cretae

Replacing the GPU will not be too tough. I believe we have a still-relevant guide in "View Our Support Guides"> "Upgrade/Add Graphics Cards" by DST4ME.

If you're not aware, Nvidia is coming out with a whole new line in September. This close, I would encourage you to get by on what you have until you see what's new.

That's good to know.  I'll definitely take your advice.  I'll probably be asking for advice on appropriate GPU for my setup when they come out in September.

Quote Zerocool83 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Muz

^^ I have he same card a 970 and am totally waiting until the 3000 series for which i would like to go with 3080 (not the TI) as i run 2560x1440

That's some pretty high resolution!  I have my PC hooked up to an older Toshiba flat screen TV, so I believe the maximum resolution I can get on the TV is 1920 x 1080p.  Would this mean I have no need of a higher end graphics card, since I can't achieve higher resolution? I assume I'll need more than the 970 to achieve really nice graphics in Cyberpunk 2077, but I'm not sure how high end I need to go. I apologize for the clueless question.  I'm extremely new to all this stuff.  What about the TI versions of graphics cards? I've never understood what that means.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 5:12am
Yes, you don't need a lot to run that.

An older TV is not going to be high frame rate, probably capped at 60fps unless it was advanced for it's time. High Definition is defined as 1920x 1080. AKA 1080p for short. Right now you could run that with with an RTX 2060. Whatever comes out at that level will likely be ~25%+ stronger.

Muz's resolution is called 1440p, and the price/performance pick for that is a 2070 SUPER. The smallish bump in fps you get from the next card up (2080 SUPER) is considered not worth the nearly $300 more.

I caution Muz to do his homework, because I fully expect the "3070" to be all he needs for 1440p.
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 6:30am
I saw something yesterday about the potential price points for the 30-series.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 3:53am
Teaser! Where?
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 6:30am

Teaser! Where?

Rumor

Tom's Hardware

Quote Zerocool83 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2020 at 7:13pm

Yes, you don't need a lot to run that.

An older TV is not going to be high frame rate, probably capped at 60fps unless it was advanced for it's time. High Definition is defined as 1920x 1080. AKA 1080p for short. Right now you could run that with with an RTX 2060. Whatever comes out at that level will likely be ~25%+ stronger.

Muz's resolution is called 1440p, and the price/performance pick for that is a 2070 SUPER. The smallish bump in fps you get from the next card up (2080 SUPER) is considered not worth the nearly $300 more.

I caution Muz to do his homework, because I fully expect the "3070" to be all he needs for 1440p.

Thanks for the info man. I always thought 60 fps was really good In PC gaming, but I admit I have been away from PC gaming when 4K came out, so I guess you guys get even better frame rates now. I looked up the RTX 2060 and it was actually pretty reasonably priced, which is nice since I forgot how amazingly expensive current graphics cards are. There are cards that cost more than my entire Vanquish 4! I noticed that there are a ton of different RTX 2060 card available with prices ranging from $260 to $460. They all say they are 6 gig graphics cards. Is there any way for me to determine how one is better than another and determine which is best for me? Will I definitely get no better performance on a newer high graphics game like Cyberpunk 2077 if I were to get an 8GB graphics card? I’m just trying to plan out an economical card that will still allow me to achieve the best graphics/performance possible with my hardware, but I’m admittedly clueless.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2020 at 5:11am
I recently looked on behalf of another poster, and I saw what you did... a ridiculous mish-mash of models and prices. I found an EVGA at best Buy for $310. Solid brand at a very nice price. It's still there.

You don't need more than that for your TV. I've been gaming at 1080p and 60fps for ten years now, and I'm not disappointed yet.

Quote Zerocool83 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2020 at 5:19pm

I recently looked on behalf of another poster, and I saw what you did... a ridiculous mish-mash of models and prices. I found an EVGA at best Buy for $310. Solid brand at a very nice price. It's still there.

You don't need more than that for your TV. I've been gaming at 1080p and 60fps for ten years now, and I'm not disappointed yet.

Awesome man! Thanks so much for your help. I got my RAM today. Also got an anti static wrist band just in case. So is there any particular order the 4 modules go into the 4 slots or does it not matter?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 5:02am
You are very welcome!

RAM stick order doesn't matter. Be sure they are seated firmly.

Quote Zerocool83 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 6:11pm

You are very welcome!

RAM stick order doesn't matter. Be sure they are seated firmly.

I installed my RAM last night.  It was extremely easy. First time I've ever altered physical components of a computer and it wasn't as scary as I thought it'd be. I hope Graphics card replacement will be as smooth.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 1:58am
Congrats.
The video cards are as easy, just some additional parts to remove like screws and wires. All readily apparent.
Enjoy.  Big%20Smile
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 6:02am
 Post Reply Post Reply