FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need help with a $1000-2000 laptop

Post Date: 2010-06-21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Cygnus View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cygnus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need help with a $1000-2000 laptop
    Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 10:35pm
So I'm going off to college this fall and need a laptop to take with me. My parents are offering to pay $1000 of the cost, and anything above that I have to cover with graduation money. Can people help me come up with some different price point configurations and help me decide what to get, since I really have no clue at this point. Thanks.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 1:13am
I recommend looking at our gaming laptops and start from a model that fits your budget and attracts you.

They all are configured fairly well. All you really need to do is fine-tune the configuration in terms of storage and such.

We'll be more than happy to answer any direct questions that you may have?
Cygnus View Drop Down

Quote Cygnus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 1:18am
One question I did have was whether I should get the i7-620 or the i7-720. There's a 40 dollar difference and I was wondering how the two differ in terms of gaming performance. Also, I was wondering if you think that getting 2x 320gb hard drives and putting them in RAID 0 (for the x17) as opposed to getting one 500gb drive is worth it.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 1:58am
Originally posted by Cygnus

...whether I should get the i7-620 or the i7-720. There's a 40 dollar difference and I was wondering how the two differ in terms of gaming performance.

The $40 increase is basically going to be a small increase in performance. Basically for the $40 increase, your getting about $40 worth of more power. If your budget allows, go for it.

Originally posted by Cygnus

Also, I was wondering if you think that getting 2x 320gb hard drives and putting them in RAID 0 (for the x17) as opposed to getting one 500gb drive is worth it.

Two hard drives in RAID 0 will provide slightly better performance, but a single hard drive will be more reliable. If your budget allows, get a small 60GB SSD and use the extra cash for a larger storage drive.

Edited by Alex - 22 Jun 2010 at 1:59am
 Post Reply Post Reply