FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need help with computer config

Post Date: 2011-12-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
chaotic View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote chaotic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need help with computer config
    Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 9:49am
Hello, I am an avid Xbox gamer and I originally started gaming on PC. Recently I gave up on PC because my Dell XPS Laptop cannot handle all games and is almost 4 years old. I want help configuring a new computer,

1. I really dont wanna spend over $2000 but I have no idea how much is reasonable. If I can meet my goal for less that would be cool too. Don't have to get speakers and all that neccesarily.

2. I would like to have a couple monitors probably and not sure besides that.

3.  I mainly play strategy games and mmo's on PC but play some first person shooters too. Probably have itunes on it as well but I only have about 600 songs currently.  Use it to surf the internet as well.

4. I want my computer to be able to run pretty much any game on the highest graphics settings smoothly and into the next few years. I just bought a new house and don't really want to spend a huge fortune but dont wanna skip on things either. It it makes more sense to pay a little extra to get alot more than that works for me.
kane860 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 10:10am
sounds like the Ode level 2 might be a good option for $2000...  I'm sure the guys on here will help you out picking a custom rig though.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 11:48am
What is the native resolution of the monitor you gonna be gaming at?

I wouldn't go stage 2.

Edited by DST4ME - 15 Dec 2011 at 1:43pm
chaotic View Drop Down

Quote chaotic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 3:50pm

I spoke with someone on the phone. They recommended Renegade level 3. Mainly because I can update it in the future. Will I be able to sufficiently run any game on highest graphics settings? Also, I know nothing about resolution. Whatever the best is....

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 5:57pm
Nobody can tell you what you need without knowing your res, otherwise 2 things will happen, you either endup with not enough power or you endup wasting your money on power you will never notice.

Its kinda like you asking me to recommend a car to you for a race but you won't tell me what kind of a race or how long, so I can't tell you what kinda of car or how much gas and etc.

Now let me tell you a few things, I would not recommend regenagde to you at all:

1. you can't upgrade it to sli

2. the case itself is not the best choice.

3. all the way around its not the best choice.

if your res is 1900 x 1200 and you want to max bf3 for example thats not gonna happen with Renegade lvl 3. and you can't upgrade it to do so either.

Now lets go slow, why don't you tell me the monitor you gonna be using with this pc and I will try and look up the native resolution for you.

resolution in general way is basically how much detail screen holds, for example if a monitor has a res of 1200 x 1000 it has much much less details then one with a 1900 x 1200 res.

and detail is what decides how sharp and life like the image infront of you is gonna be, the higher the res, the more detail, the better the image looks, for examlpe if you want high definition tv/programing you are watching it at 1920 x 1080.

now the higher your res the more gpu power you need to max it out like you want, so in order to tell you what you need without wasting your money or giving you less then you need, we need to know the res, once we know the res then we will know from that what kinda gpu power you need to as you put it "run pretty much any game on the highest graphics settings smoothly and into the next few years".

so tell me your monitor model and make and we can take it from there.
chaotic View Drop Down

Quote chaotic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 7:09pm
Well I am gonna need a new monitor as well. So basically you tell me what I should go with. I guess 1900 x 1200? I am totally lost with this stuff. I assumed I would buy a monitor based on how the rest of the computer turned out. Thanks.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 12:41am
LOL you got it backwards, you get the pc based on the monitor when its for gaming.

OK well let me tell you a few things:

Most important thing about a monitor is its panel, right now there are 2 major ones, TN and IPS, IPS has superior picture quality/clarity.

Now IPS panels will cost a bit more because they are better.

however no matter if we go tn or ips, if you want to max out games at 1900 x 1200 ball park (24" or 23" monitors), you gonna need sli 570 to max out games like bf3.

to give you sli 570, we will be going over your budget by a good amount, you can go ode 3 that is gonna be the cheapest but then its future upgrades are limited, or you can go custom build with better parts and no upgrade limitations but this will cost more then ode 3, ode 3 goes for $2,339.

a good ips monitor at 24" or 23" will cost you around $250 - $300.

Edited by DST4ME - 16 Dec 2011 at 12:42am
chaotic View Drop Down

Quote chaotic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 8:28am
I have no problem going up a little over budget if its gonna be better in the long run. Yea man I told you I have no clue what Im talking about..... Also, the ODE 3, how long will it still be useable in the future? Did the 1900 x1200 res sound good?
Dynamus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Dynamus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 11:29am
I can not share a link with you like DST4ME can but I know he is going to recomend the same monitor that he did to me. Go to Dell's website and look under their Ultrasharp series. These are very nice IPS monitors and look great!
chaotic View Drop Down

Quote chaotic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 5:46pm
Thanks man. I just wanted to let you know also that my budget has changed to $3500. Thanks 
Dynamus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Dynamus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 6:02pm
Well with that budget you can build a stone cold killer machine. Mine rang up to about $3200 not including a monitor. I would really answer DST4ME's questions....trust me he is the man at this stuff and I agree with 95% of his choices.

Are you wanting an X79 at that budget price or are you wanting to blow up a 2600k with lots of stuff you probably wont notice having. I will configure an X79 for you and post the number so you can check it out. Granted though, we could save you lots of money if you stick with 2600k.
Dynamus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Dynamus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 6:17pm
Ok here you go: #632955 it came in over budget and it does not include your monitor. I think the best plan for you is to go with a tried and true 2600k. If no one beats me to it I will do one of those builds for you as well.
chaotic View Drop Down

Quote chaotic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 7:56pm
Man I really appreciate all of you guys help. I am really truly clueless when it comes to this stuff. I would just like to get a machine that will run anything on maximum graphics settings smoothly. $3500 is my budget and dont mind going that high but if for example you guys dont think I have to than tell me. I just wanna be able to run stuff for a few years without needing to worry about it. I'm really excited about getting a new awesome rig. I looked at that one you posted and to me it looks good but like i said idk. Thanks for everything!
Dynamus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Dynamus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 9:36pm
Alright here is a 2600k build for you: 633022 and it comes to $2947. For what you are wanting to do it is perfect.
chaotic View Drop Down

Quote chaotic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 10:03pm
Thanks! I really like the way that one is looking. Any input on that build DST4ME?
Dynamus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Dynamus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 10:19pm
I am pretty sure he will say go for it and have DST add an extra exhaust fan at the top. The case allows for two 200mm fans at the top but only comes with one. He has a link, I do not.
covfam View Drop Down

Quote covfam Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 10:40pm
plus he will say something like make sure the voltage is under 1.4 or something like that :) (to be honest i dont know what that means ive just seen it alot in his suggestions)  :)
Dynamus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Dynamus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 10:46pm
Yep fprgot that...dont know how he has not replied yet, usually cleans up my mess for me lol.

When I started all of this I did not know what Vcore was either. It is the amount of voltage that is running your cpu. Anything over 1.4 and you start taking away the life of the chip. So yes be sure to ask for it to be 1.4 or lower.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Dec 2011 at 12:41am
Build looks great, and yes:

Ask DS specifically for this fan to be added to the top, so you endup with 4 x 200mm fans:

haf 200mm non led fan

Ask for vcore lower then 1.4 for your oc.

the vcore Dynames explained and the fan is for best airflow.

monitors are these:

Dell UltraSharp u2312

Dell UltraSharp U2412M

Edited by DST4ME - 17 Dec 2011 at 12:42am
Dynamus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Dynamus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Dec 2011 at 10:20am
Haha...see I told you I could learn
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Dec 2011 at 3:04pm
I never disagreed
 Post Reply Post Reply