FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need help with cooling

Post Date: 2021-11-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
GetR3KTnub View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote GetR3KTnub Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need help with cooling
    Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 4:15pm
I just bought my first DS computer, and I'm beginning to have second doubts about my system's cooling. I selected hardline cooling for my CPU and GPU, but I read that it would be extremely hard to change components, especially my GPU, in the future. I do, however, like the aesthetics of hardline cooling but starting to think that the risks outweigh the pros. Would I be better off doing soft-tube cooling for just my CPU since I will probably replace my GPU in the future?

Order ID: 4163848

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i9-12900K (5.2 GHz Turbo) (24-Thread) (16-Core) 3.2 GHz (Alder Lake)
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus Z690 Hero (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z690 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E) (No SLI) (DDR5)
System Memory: 32GB DDR5 5200MHz FURY Beast
Power Supply: 1200W Silverstone / EVGA / Thermaltake (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 980 PRO) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD M.2 (2TB Seagate FireCuda 520) (NVM Express) (Gen4 PCIe) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (1x Graphics Card + CPU)
HydroLux Tubing Style: HardLine Tubing (Requires HydroLux PRO Custom Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Blue Fluid + Clear Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - White - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Cooler Master MasterFan Halo (RGB Fans) (Remote Control Only)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: Corsair Commander PRO Management Control Board & Software (1x Board)
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 5.1GHz on All CPU Cores <br><strong></strong>
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 11 Professional (64-Bit)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 11 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 11)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 14-21 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed <br><strong></strong>
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Online Status: Online
  Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 10:52pm
Congratulations and welcome to DS.. Awesome

If you are ordering the hardline mainly just for looks, don't (unless you are ready to be a plumber if needed). In the future, at a minimum as you are already figuring, you will have to make new tubing since it is highly unlikely that you will find a gpu with the same dimensions. At worst, it will be a nightmare with leaks!

If on the fence, call DS and change the cooling to an AIO. It will save you some $$$$.  (You could also ask to  change to soft tubing and the replacement of the gpu and other work will be a lot easier but you will have the leaks at worst.). Everything else looks good to me but I am not one of the configurator gurus.

Enjoy. Smile

Edited by hoserator - 08 Nov 2021 at 11:07pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 3:46am
Here are a few facts for you.

The CPUs over the last few years have been so out in front of what is needed to power a gaming computer that overclocking is no longer a choice that makes any sense for normal use. Custom liquid cooling, therefore, is needless, unnecessarily complicated, and fraught with potential dangers/problems as my friend points out. He knows, he has had to deal with most of them, and this is his take.

Bottom line, it's almost $1200 just for looks. Are you buying this to look at, or are you going to spend 99% of your time looking at your monitor like the rest of us? Maintain the upgradeability of your cutting edge rig with an all-in-one cooler, and drop that overclock. Having your CPU run at 5.1 GHz on all cores all the time is just silly when the chip will Turbo to 5.2 whenever it's called for. IMHO this CPU will likely power a gaming rig at stock speeds for beyond 5 years if you wish. Of course, that's assuming you don't burn it out by overclocking.

You are right to have second thoughts on this. Do yourself a favor.   
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 9:07am
Be sure to contact Digital Storm as soon as possible if you decide to make the change. The quicker you notify them of a configuration change the less chance of a delay or chance of additional labor cost taking something apart that has already been built.

You have a nice build laid out and I also would avoid the hardline cooling for the reasons mentioned but I admit it does make a pretty gaming machine. It wouldn't be worth the hassle for me since as Cretae said OCing these new processors doesn't seem to make much of a difference anymore.

Let us know what you ended up deciding to do and if it was a hassle or not. I changed my order about a week after I bought it before they had the parts all pulled together and upgraded from a RTX 3070 to RTX 3080. Their was no surcharge for the change I just had to pay the difference in price. Just be sure to call as soon as possible if you decide to change your configuration.

Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
 Post Reply Post Reply