Post Date: 2012-10-31

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
zend View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote zend Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: need help with decision
    Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 4:17pm
have a qeustion did I make a mistake in not taking the six core cpu I will only be doing heavy gaming but notice people going with the six core I went with the 4 core
also I don't think its to late I did get 3  new  27" asus VG278 3D monitors is 2 video cards good enough or should I get a 3rd so each monitor has it's own card if you guys can aswer these qeustions for me it might not be to late to change it I mostly play multi online games Everqeust and star war but I do play alot of other types and I plan on doing the flight simulator games

I also put this in

General Discussion

under zends new system but no responce's yet I need to know because I believe I have time to change it if you guys think I should

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 4:34pm
Hi zend.....    For strictly gaming the 4 core i7-3830 chip is all you need.   

If you want to game on a 3 monitor., 3D setup I would recommend a tri-sli, 3x gtx680 4GB video card setup.   

Hope this helps.    
caver View Drop Down

Quote caver Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 4:50pm
what bpratt said Big%20Smile  I went with a 6 core but I do GIS work and I also tend to hang on to computers a while. My new system came today. The one it replaces I bought from Dell 10 years ago.....
i7 3930K 3.2GHz OC
ASUS P9X79 DLX X79
32GB DDR3 1600Mhz DSC
2x 240GB Solid State
EVGA Classified GTX680 4GB
zend View Drop Down

Quote zend Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 10:57am
Alex, cavar,bprat22

do all three of you think I should get the third video card
and can you look at my rig set up agian in general chat and tell me if I should change anything I still have time I dont believe they even started mine yet because had to wait for the case and the 13 led fans
I want the greatest gaming machine ever biult im thinking 3 to 5 years ahead
this is the greatest thing I will ever have in whats left of my life and I want it perfect want it to be like my legacy lol might even have it barried with me haha
This is something I really need my whole life has always been foor everyone else
this is the final thing for me
and sorry for bothering you guys with this I use to know all this stuff before treatments but I cant even trust my brother on this decision he would only think of the money I cant take my money woth me but I can take this computer hehe
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 11:00am
What you have configured is honestly a great build, adding a 3rd video card is a plus but not necessary, as you can always add one later. If you have the budget, go for it!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 11:44am
I agree with Alex.  Sli gtx 680 is alot of gaming.

The problem , at least in my opinion, is the 3D on a triple monitor setup.  3D requires each image to be rendered twice.  That's the 3D effect.  For those  triple monitors with standard 2D, the sli 680 would be awesome.  When you go 3D it ups the rendering needs, theoretically doubling it, .  For most gaming the sli , 2x 680 is great.  Some games however, if you're needs were to max out settings like aa, would need the 3rd card to keep fps in the 50's plus.

The sli, 2x gtx680 would play real nice.  The third card allows you to max out graphic settings.  For me, playing on high settings looks and plays great.  For others, they need the Ultra settings.  

I agree to go with sli, 2x gtx680 and see if it works for you.  I doubt you'll be unhappy.  If you need more than add the 3rd card later.  It is a simple plug and play for the most part.

EDIT... Just looked at your config again.... if you go water cooled on the video cards then adding a third card becomes more work. 

If you can swing the extra $$$, then just go for it and never look back.  Games are gonna get more demanding and if you stay with 3D then the 3rd card might give you more longevity. 

Edited by bprat22 - 01 Nov 2012 at 11:54am
zend View Drop Down

Quote zend Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 1:04pm
ok im going for it
this is what i have ordered can a 3rd one be added to this because i dont see a choice to do 3 of these
2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 4GB (PhysX) (Classified Overclocked EVGA)
or do i need to go with this it show 3 of them
3x SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 4GB (Includes PhysX)
going to go with the 680 to save a little money is thier much diference between the 680 and 690 other then price
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 1:43pm
3x Triple sli gtx680 is all you need.   Overclocked isn't needed.   
zend View Drop Down

Quote zend Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 1:59pm
ok just emailed gerardo this
<>.AOLWebSuite .AOLPicturesFullSizeLink { height: 1px; width: 1px; overflow: hidden; } .AOLWebSuite a {color:blue; text-decoration: underline; cursor: pointer} .AOLWebSuite a.hsSig {cursor: default} .AOLWebSuiteM1 {margin: 10px 20px;} .AOLWebSuiteM2 {margin: 5px;} .AOLWebSuiteM3 {margin: 10px;} .dmItemSelected {padding: 2px !important;text-decoration: none !important;color:#fff !important;background-color: #656565 !important;border-radius: 2px;}
this is what I want how much more will I owe you guys
alex if you are thier let gerardo know he has an email lol
and thanks guys you really are the best I believe this is all im going to change as far as I can tell this is my fantasy
computer its the ultimate gaming machine
zend View Drop Down

Quote zend Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 2:11pm
Oh and Alex since i am buying 2 rigs and since you helped talked me into it you should give me a special deal on the 3 video card setup hahahaha
caver View Drop Down

Quote caver Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 4:11pm
zend,

a 690 is essentially 2 680 chips on 1 card.  so the 690 *could* perform better than the 680 on paper.  I am biased to the 680 classified for reasons below but as the others say the regular 680 x 3 is plenty. 

the 680 classified will run cooler and faster than a regular 680 and if a processor goes bad your replacing a $500 card not a $1000 one for the 690.  The main advantage of the 680 classified is that with liquid cooling it is designed to be heavily overclocked (DS can do this or you can with some research).  The other advantage is that the 680 classified has 4GB while the 690 has 2.  So the 680 classifieds will have double the VRAM of the 690.
i7 3930K 3.2GHz OC
ASUS P9X79 DLX X79
32GB DDR3 1600Mhz DSC
2x 240GB Solid State
EVGA Classified GTX680 4GB
zend View Drop Down

Quote zend Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 6:03pm
thank you guys I will stick to what I have then like you guys say if I want I can always add to it later and how it sounds I probly wont have to im going to leave everything as is like you siad its a really good set up they way it sits thank you all agian
zend View Drop Down

Quote zend Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 7:47pm
gerardo says that the people who will be biulding mine that the video cards i have cant fit a 3rd one in since im wiating for the fans i dont know if my computer has been biult to any piont because i even asked about if i would have to change the type i ordered so if they do have some of it biult and the video cards are allready in i wouldnt want them to take it apart anyways i just dont know but it sounds like from you guys that this setup i have is a great one so i guess iwont worrie about it
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 8:24pm
I'm a little late but they are right, you do.
You will have excellent gameplay especially on less monitor(s) for some time. It is going to be amazing.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 10:41pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by zend

Oh and Alex since i am buying 2 rigs and since you helped talked me into it you should give me a special deal on the 3 video card setup hahahaha

zend View Drop Down

Quote zend Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 11:03am
Hi evry one
this is my final change to the rig want to make sure its the right move

also can any of you other experts feel If made the right decision I had
2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 4GB (PhysX) (Classified Overclocked EVGA)
but because the card is so big I could not have a third this is what im asking them to put in
Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability [+$45]
I am going to be using three 27" asus VG278 3D monitors
this is the last change going to make
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 11:52am
I'm no expert, but I did just reply to the other post with a Great +1. 

With DS putting this build together, you'll have an awesome rig to play with and someone reputable to support it.  Congrats.   
zend View Drop Down

Quote zend Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by bprat22

I'm no expert, but I did just reply to the other post with a Great +1. 

With DS putting this build together, you'll have an awesome rig to play with and someone reputable to support it.  Congrats.   

This isnt an awsome rig this is one of the greatest rigs out thier at least to me this is literaly a dream machine my fantasy computer made by the best company in the world to me

I want to thank you bprat22 you have been alot of help and though we just met on this forum I really concider you a good friend I hope we can keep in touch on the forums and with the other great members hear
 Post Reply Post Reply