Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
RJHert View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote RJHert Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need help with lumos build
    Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 4:14pm
Budget:
[2,000- 2,500]

Expectations:
[I am having a hard time figuring out what to buy and go with, this is all new to me so i dont really have a great understanding of each part and what the usage is all i know is what i want to do. below is the build i ended up going with myself just based of some research i just want to know if some of the stuff is overkill for what i am trying to do. thank you!]

Usage:
[Gaming. streaming, saving videos, some editing]

Special Needs:
[Please Type Here]

Saved Ticket #: [Please Type Here]

Specifications:
[Please Type Here]
Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (8-Core) 4.4 GHz Turbo
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME X570-P / MSI X570-A Pro (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI Support)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W Digital Storm Performance Series (Modular) (80 Plus Gold) <br><strong></strong>
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: Wireless PCI-E (Supports 802.11ac) <br><strong></strong>
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3070 8GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 1: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Single Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes) <br><strong></strong>
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 20-25 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 4:16am
That's not a bad idea for what you want. The crucial variable is your monitor resolution. The budget buster for you is the premium you have to pay for that RTX 3070. It is way overpriced due to the shortages in the market. It is the best GPU for price/performance at the top of the 1440p resolution "food chain", but it may be overkill for you. The 3060 Ti will manage just fine at 1440p with some settings management in a few games, and kill at 1080p.

If you do not already have a high-end 1440p monitor, I don't recommend you get one. It'll likely cost you north of $400. If you have a 1080p monitor, the 3060 Ti is the right card but you have to pay a premium for that one also. The 2060 is the bargain at high-end 1080p gaming/streaming.

If you can be happy at 1080p and wait to upgrade for when prices are more normal, this could be your Lumos:

3778509      $2458. To see it in the Configurator, go to main page, upper right > "Load Config" and copy/paste that #.

The 3700X is fine. The motherboard upgrade is better thermals, better longevity and a better choice if you ever wish to upgrade your CPU to a 5000 series. 32 GB of RAM will help you with editing faster. The Firecuda (PCIe Gen 4) is about 33% faster than the 970 Evo PLUS. Not a deal breaker, but it's better. A compact primary drive for OS, utilities and apps is a very nice idea for easy scanning/upkeep. Budget allows for 1TB of SATA SSD storage for games. Always go for a dual fan cooler whenever possible. I put the RTX 2060 in there so you could have the other things. Whenever you wish, this rig is ready to be upgraded to your heart's content. DS builds tend to last upwards of 5-8 years, and that's a lot of potential.

If you "must" have a 3070, go with your build, but get the dual fan. If you "need" a 3060 Ti right now, you could back off the extra Ram, or get the HDD instead of the 860 EVO, (or both) and be about where your build landed, but still keep the better mobo and dual fan.

Questions?
RJHert View Drop Down

Quote RJHert Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 2:39pm
wow! thanks man i appreciate it alot yeah im new into all this ive always wanted a gaming PC and seeing all the different parts and stuff can be frustrating just because i dont know all the information about it! thanks for the help i needed it!
RJHert View Drop Down

Quote RJHert Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Cretae

That's not a bad idea for what you want. The crucial variable is your monitor resolution. The budget buster for you is the premium you have to pay for that RTX 3070. It is way overpriced due to the shortages in the market. It is the best GPU for price/performance at the top of the 1440p resolution "food chain", but it may be overkill for you. The 3060 Ti will manage just fine at 1440p with some settings management in a few games, and kill at 1080p.

If you do not already have a high-end 1440p monitor, I don't recommend you get one. It'll likely cost you north of $400. If you have a 1080p monitor, the 3060 Ti is the right card but you have to pay a premium for that one also. The 2060 is the bargain at high-end 1080p gaming/streaming.

If you can be happy at 1080p and wait to upgrade for when prices are more normal, this could be your Lumos:

3778509      $2458. To see it in the Configurator, go to main page, upper right > "Load Config" and copy/paste that #.

The 3700X is fine. The motherboard upgrade is better thermals, better longevity and a better choice if you ever wish to upgrade your CPU to a 5000 series. 32 GB of RAM will help you with editing faster. The Firecuda (PCIe Gen 4) is about 33% faster than the 970 Evo PLUS. Not a deal breaker, but it's better. A compact primary drive for OS, utilities and apps is a very nice idea for easy scanning/upkeep. Budget allows for 1TB of SATA SSD storage for games. Always go for a dual fan cooler whenever possible. I put the RTX 2060 in there so you could have the other things. Whenever you wish, this rig is ready to be upgraded to your heart's content. DS builds tend to last upwards of 5-8 years, and that's a lot of potential.

If you "must" have a 3070, go with your build, but get the dual fan. If you "need" a 3060 Ti right now, you could back off the extra Ram, or get the HDD instead of the 860 EVO, (or both) and be about where your build landed, but still keep the better mobo and dual fan.

Questions?

Hey again! so i just looked into my monitor and i do have an ACER 1920 x 1080P with 60 HZ so with that being said i looked into the build you gave me the only thing i ask is that should i switch the graphics card to the 3060 TI instead of the 2060?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 2:11am
Not at all for that monitor! I have a 1080p 60 Hz I've had for 10 years that does everything I need it to, and that RTX 2060 is better than the pretty high-end Nvidia 1070 that I have. Get the 2060, save the money. Get the more upgradeable build I suggested and start saving up for some better video if you think you'd like to. You could easily power a 1080p monitor with a much higher refresh than 60Hz that you could get under $200. Refresh rate is a bigger deal than screen resolution.

If you would like to aim higher - 1440p, keep in mind everything will take a leap up in price. Monitors will be $350 and up, and you'll want the 3070. By the time you are ready for that, though, there will likely be a whole new set of GPUs to select from at stable, reliable prices. The "4060 Ti" may be your sweet spot for under $400 by then. The cards just get more and more powerful with each series.

My bet is you will have such a good time on this rig, that it'll be awhile before you wish for more. Subbing in a newer GPU is a pretty easy job. So is more storage, and so is a 5000 series CPU. You can always get someone to help you if you need it, even if it's the Geek Squad.
RJHert View Drop Down

Quote RJHert Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by Cretae

Not at all for that monitor! I have a 1080p 60 Hz I've had for 10 years that does everything I need it to, and that RTX 2060 is better than the pretty high-end Nvidia 1070 that I have. Get the 2060, save the money. Get the more upgradeable build I suggested and start saving up for some better video if you think you'd like to. You could easily power a 1080p monitor with a much higher refresh than 60Hz that you could get under $200. Refresh rate is a bigger deal than screen resolution.

If you would like to aim higher - 1440p, keep in mind everything will take a leap up in price. Monitors will be $350 and up, and you'll want the 3070. By the time you are ready for that, though, there will likely be a whole new set of GPUs to select from at stable, reliable prices. The "4060 Ti" may be your sweet spot for under $400 by then. The cards just get more and more powerful with each series.

My bet is you will have such a good time on this rig, that it'll be awhile before you wish for more. Subbing in a newer GPU is a pretty easy job. So is more storage, and so is a 5000 series CPU. You can always get someone to help you if you need it, even if it's the Geek Squad.

Last question! i know my monitor is at least 144 FPS cuz i bought it for fortnite awhile ago on an older PC like 8 years old and it never ran clean because the specs were out of date etc.. with that being said with the build you gave me is good for gaming and streaming at the same with? and be super clean and not clunky? i plan on playing games like (WoW, Red Dead Redemption, Gears of War, Halo etc.)
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 4:12am
You should have no issues at all with an 8 core proc and a 2060 on that monitor. It will be a very solid combination with your budget. The extra RAM, while not essential, will speed up all your editing chores, and smooth out everything else for the life of this rig. The PSU is plenty of extra overhead for anything you will do in the future.
 Post Reply Post Reply