FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need help with my configuration

Post Date: 2020-06-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tom234 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tom234 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need help with my configuration
    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 at 7:54pm

Expectations:
[Lightening fast rendering of 4K video]

Usage:
[12 to 14 hours of continuous use per day comprised mostly of video editing and rendering]

Special Needs:
[4K video editing and 3D modeling and animation. I will ultimately be producing a 90 minute long all CG 3-D movie]

Hi everyone, I just got to this forum & have some questions about what my configuration should be. I'm looking at the Lumos model and my first question is regarding the power pack, if that needs to be 1000watts, or if 850w is adequate. My second question is regarding lighting. Does inner lighting have to be ordered special, or is that standard? Also, if there's anything else anyone would like to comment on, as far as my choices, I'd greatly welcome your feedback! Here's the configuration I just set up:
---------

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X (32-Core) (Boost Up to 4.5 GHz)
Motherboard: ASUS Prime TRX40-Pro (AMD TRX40 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices) (ECC Support)
System Memory: 64GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Performance Series (Semi-Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Add On Card: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (CPU Only)
HydroLux Tubing Style: HardLine Tubing (Requires HydroLux PRO Custom Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Blue Fluid + Clear Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - undecided
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks

CPU Boost: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Graphics: - No Thanks
OS Boost: - No Thanks
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: Digital Storm Premium Mouse Pad (Standard Size) (Stitched Edges)

Mouse: ASUS ROG Gladius II Aura Sync USB Wired Optical Gaming Mouse

Priority Build: - No Thanks, 6 Week Ship Estimate After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
-----------

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. This is going to be a very large purchase for me. Thanks!

Edited by Tom234 - 15 Jun 2020 at 12:19am
3D animator
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 4:45am
In that build you have about 250-300W of PSU overhead. The 850W whichever brand will have a factory warranty longer that the DS. Shouldn't matter, but it might. PSUs rarely fail mid-life. If it survives the first year, it should last >5 years.

You MUST get an NVMe M.2 SSD for your primary drive! Either brand is up to 5 times faster than the SATA drive from DS you selected. I would get a Seagate Firecuda because it is a new PCIe level 4 part that mates with your level 4 motherboard. Whatever size suits you. If you can edit entirely from that drive, you will realize all the speed you've planned for elsewhere.

Lighting must be ordered. There is a free internal light strip that you will be able to custom tune with a small remote. The real light show comes from the Corsair LL series case fans. iCue software you get from Corsair will allow you to fine tune the colors and the fan speeds.

Hope it helps.
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 8:06am
I agree with Cretae. I have a 1TB Firecuda and love it.

I game and do some Lightroom work, but not videos. I would start with one Firecuda and keep it in the back of your mind that you may one day add a second Firecuda as fast storage to supplement your HDD storage.

An example would be videos that you have completed but keep on your rig would go to HDD's, and videos that are in stages of being edited and tinkered with would be on the Firecuda drive(s).

As far as lighting I have both the free LED lighting that also is in the same pattern and timing as my DS AIO liquid cooler that are controlled from the remote.   I also have the LL fans that are controlled by the iCue software. They clash as far as patterns, colors, etc. However, that said, they can clash in an interesting way that my wife thinks is peaceful.

The one thing that I really don't like is the constantly "on" and uncontrollable accent light on my ASUS 2080 Super card. I would turn it off in a heartbeat if I could and while come people on the Internet claim that they covered it with electrical tape, I am ** not ** going to do that.

Good luck.
Tom234 View Drop Down

Quote Tom234 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 12:00pm
Cretae, Thanks very much for taking the time to look my choices over and give me your feedback. I greatly appreciate it!
3D animator
Tom234 View Drop Down

Quote Tom234 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 12:14pm
John18, Thank you for your input on the primary drive and lighting. Greatly appreciated!!
3D animator
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 4:59am
Our pleasure, Tom234!
Hope we helped.
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 1:57pm
You're welcome. Sorry for the delayed response. I have had a login issue for the last day and a half that we finally got fixed.
Tom234 View Drop Down

Quote Tom234 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 5:35pm
Hi again guys. My config. ended up rather pricey and I'm wondering if a 32-core processor might be overkill for my needs. I'm not a big multi-tasker. My MAIN concern is with FAST video rendering. That was my main hang up with my old Mac -- ridiculous rendering time. Now I'll be working in 4K video so I expect to need a rig that is much much faster -- I'd prefer to not have to wait for rending at all. Does number of cores really weigh in on this issue? Or is it mainly graphics card power and memory capacity that I should be concerned with. In other words, would the video rendering be faster with two Gforce 11g cards instead of one, with say, 18 cores instead of 32?

Edited by Tom234 - 19 Jun 2020 at 5:50pm
3D animator
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 5:47am
There are multiple trade-offs. I understand the article, but only you can know what uses to favor over others. Have a look here:

https://bizon-tech.com/blog/best-computer-3d-modeling-rendering

I Googled "best rendering machine" and looked at several articles that said basically the same things. Good luck.
Tom234 View Drop Down

Quote Tom234 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 12:00pm
Cretae, thanks very much for finding and posting that article. That does help. I think 24 cores would probably be more than adequate for me. Two high end graphics cards might be ideal but one might be enough. I may start with one and see how it goes. They are very expensive!

Anyway. thanks again for the link.
3D animator
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 2:30pm
Just a suggestion. Keep in mind that IDK about editing, modeling, and rendering, but I did see one of the articles mention perhaps getting two 2070 SUPERs in NVLink. That would boost your GPU rendering capability to a total 16GB of GDDR6 at less cost than a single 2080 Ti. You might want to look into that. As I understand NVLink, it does pretty much double the output from the two cards. You could always ask on an Nvidia forum to find out.
Tom234 View Drop Down

Quote Tom234 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 5:11pm
Gretae, I'm glad you brought that up - I was wondering about it. I did look into this afternoon and there are differing opinions, but the argument that one really good card is overall better than two lesser cards won out for me.

Now, that said... I think I'd like to get the liquid cooling that will include my gforce card. I'm wondering how the GPU liquid cooling has been working out for DS owners who have it.

Would love to hear opinions on that.
3D animator
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 5:44pm
I have the gpus under liquid and the highest temp they get under hours of gaming is 39C and generally run at 35C.

You will master liquid cooling if you go the full loop route (or spend to have someone work on it) It is not maintenance free. Under normal conditions and use there will be refills every once in a while. Way worse if you get leaks. And eventually you will want to upgrade your gpu(s) and then.....close the loop and go air or get the gpu(s) ready for coolant.

IMO, unless you are a serious overclocker, you don't need a full loop. Now, "need" is not the same as "want" so.....
Smile

Edited by hoserator - 20 Jun 2020 at 5:45pm
Tom234 View Drop Down

Quote Tom234 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by hoserator

Under normal conditions and use there will be refills every once in a while. Way worse if you get leaks.

Hoserator, thanks very much for your input on this. Did your cooling system ever leak? And if so how long did you have it before this happened?

I don't know anything about "full loop" but I'm assuming to have the GPU included in the DS water cooling system would be a plus. ??

3D animator
 Post Reply Post Reply