FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need Help with New Laptop Configuration

Post Date: 2019-12-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Desamation View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Desamation Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need Help with New Laptop Configuration
    Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 5:34pm
Budget:
Under 4k

Expectations:
In order to consolidate living space for my daughter, create better work mobility, and to improve my workflow situation, I am retiring my desktop rig and switching to a laptop setup. I've been living off the same DS rig for almost ten years now, with the occasional upgrade. Therefore, the laptop needs to handle heavy business tasks, all Adobe suite programs, architecture designing, and the occasional high end graphics gaming (non-competitive).

Usage:
Although I game on occasion (Fallen Order, Witcher 3, Skyrim, etc), I mostly utilize my rig for engineering tasks through programs like AutoCad and Autodesk Arnold, design tasks with Adobe's plethora of programs like Lighthouse and Photoshop, and the standard programming script editor.

Special Needs:
Not only do I need a laptop that can be updated over time, but I need a laptop that contains a sufficient graphics card that can handle the work load I am accustomed too. Additionally, the graphics card needs to be capable of offering the best graphics for gaming, and video, picture, and design editing. Is there a big noticeable difference between the RTX 2070 and GTX 1080?

Furthermore, I need at least 1tb SSD of storage, if not 2tb. I honestly do not know how good the in-house Digital Storm brand is that's offered. It seems though that only the Samsung branded express cards are only available with the Avon.

Saved Ticket #:

Avon (2790323)

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Avon 17.3 Inch Laptop (Model: DSAV1720709750H)
Display: 17.3 Inch Full HD (IPS Display) (144Hz Refresh) (1920x1080) (Matte)
Screen Calibration: Custom Color Calibration Monitor Profile By Professional Sensor Tool <br><strong></strong>
Processor: Intel Core i7-9750H (6-Core) (Up to 4.5GHz)
Thermal Compound: Premium CPU and GPU Thermal Compound
Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz <br><strong></strong>
Storage Drive 1: 1x SSD M.2 (2TB Samsung 970 EVO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Drive 2: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Wireless Card: Intel Wireless-AC 9560 (Gigabit Wi-Fi) + Bluetooth 5.0
Graphics Card(s): NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB (VR Ready)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition) <br><strong></strong>
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office Suite: - No Thanks
Cooling Pad: - No Thanks

Harker (2790327)

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Harker 17.3 Inch Laptop (Model: S:9175)
Display: 17.3 Inch Full HD (NVIDIA G-SYNC Display) (144Hz Refresh) (1920x1080) (Matte)
Screen Calibration: - No Thanks
Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) (16-Thread) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz <br><strong></strong>
Thermal Compound: Premium CPU and GPU Thermal Compound
Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz
Storage Drive 1: M.2 SSD - 500GB Digital Storm Performance Series (NVM Express)
Storage Drive 2: Hard Disk - 1TB 7200RPM (SATA 3Gb/s)
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Wireless Card: Killer Dual Band Wireless-AC 1535 + Bluetooth (M.2 Socket)
Graphics Card(s): GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (VR Ready)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition) <br><strong></strong>
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office Suite: - No Thanks
Cooling Pad: - No Thanks

Edited by Desamation - 22 Dec 2019 at 7:01pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 4:13am
Interesting. IDK where you accessed the Harker build, I only see Nova and Avon.

The Harker is better from the standpoint of the considerably stronger CPU (around 30%) . The 2070 and the 1080 GPUs are neck and neck as far as raw speed, but the 2070 brings ray tracing tech and support for Adobe 10-bit color. The 10-bit support will not mean anything on the laptop display, only if you use a 10-bit HDR external monitor. Either is outstanding for 1080p response in everything else.

IMO, what you should be doing is getting your advice from DS experts. Only they are going to be able to tell you what parts you can mix and match in which case to keep temp specs where they have to be.

You definitely would want the more powerful CPU. Seems if they could use a DS NVMe, they could swap in a Samsung. Same form factor, but is there a heat issue? Same with the GPU trade-out. They can custom build anything that makes sense for you.

Hope it helps.
Desamation View Drop Down

Quote Desamation Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 4:35am
Originally posted by Cretae

Interesting. IDK where you accessed the Harker build, I only see Nova and Avon.

The Harker is better from the standpoint of the considerably stronger CPU (around 30%) . The 2070 and the 1080 GPUs are neck and neck as far as raw speed, but the 2070 brings ray tracing tech and support for Adobe 10-bit color. The 10-bit support will not mean anything on the laptop display, only if you use a 10-bit HDR external monitor. Either is outstanding for 1080p response in everything else.

IMO, what you should be doing is getting your advice from DS experts. Only they are going to be able to tell you what parts you can mix and match in which case to keep temp specs where they have to be.

You definitely would want the more powerful CPU. Seems if they could use a DS NVMe, they could swap in a Samsung. Same form factor, but is there a heat issue? Same with the GPU trade-out. They can custom build anything that makes sense for you.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the feedback Cretae.

In reference to how I found the Harker, I decided to just Google "Digital Storm Laptops". The link for the Nvidia page popped right up.

As far as getting help from a DS expert, that was actually my intention this week. Ten years ago, it was a DS expert that helped me build my original rig. The customer service was bar-none then and I expect nothing less today. Outside of a few standard upgrades, that rig has lasted me this entire time. I don't know if I could ever get the same customer service elsewhere (ie Gigabyte, Razor, Dell, Acer, etc.) Hence why I've come back after all of this time.

Cheers!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 3:07am

Wish you all success!
 Post Reply Post Reply