FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need Some Advice

Post Date: 2009-12-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Riizu View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Riizu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need Some Advice
    Posted: 25 Dec 2009 at 3:50pm
Hello, I have heard of DS over the years, and am looking for a solution to the replacement of my 3yr old HP So I can adequately play any games out now and the better ones coming out in the future. I've been shopping around for close to 6 months now, and want to make sure I get the absolute best buy I can. I have a 22" monitor and an old HP keyboard and mouse though I am considering getting a razer mouse and keyboard. I originally had a system picked out that was $1127 or so from Newegg.

-I5 750
-4gig G.Skill ram
-1TB hard drive
-CD DVD reader
-MSI P55 GD65 motherboard
-Antec Earthwatts 650w power supply
-HIS Radeon HD 5850
-HAF 922/Storm Scout/Element G
-Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus heatsink
-Win 7

Through DS, I have picked almost EXACTLY the same components, and the price has come to about $1600 dollars. The most I can boil this down to is that im paying $300-$400 for customer support and the warrantee. I have no doubt that DS has great service from what i've recently seen, but is it worth this price difference? I recieved $1250 for christmas to finance this and im trying to work out how to make this work. The biggest issue im running into is that I have never fully assembled a PC that I plan to use myself. Couple this with the lack of a warrantee and my father is fairly skeptical.

Using iBuyPower the price is extremely cheaper, but the customer support is spotty at best and many people seem to recieve busted PC's. Doghouse Systems were even more overpriced.

Thank you for reading this and I hope I can get this worked out.
Clinton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Clinton Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Dec 2009 at 3:55pm
The warranty is definitely worth the extra money if you've never messed with building a computer before. The support is.. Adequate in my experience. They will take care of you pretty well if you're able to reach them.

I would have to say buy, I'm still using the computer I got from them two years ago.
Before you buy have one of the guys here configure the best rig for your budget though.
Riizu View Drop Down

Quote Riizu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Dec 2009 at 4:01pm
Yeah, that seems like the hard part. I want the 5850 as it seems to be the best videocard for my budget, and seems to be easily reachable. Add to that the DX11 support and being literally better than everything else besides the 5870 and 5970, it seems to be the best choice. Yet, its so expensive here its not even funny.
satsunada View Drop Down

Quote satsunada Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Dec 2009 at 4:02pm
I'd also point out that "EXACTLY" the same is not true. Some of the parts you listed are untrustworthy brands or just plain substandard (like the G.Skill RAM, antec power supply, MSI mobo and Hyper 212 Heatsink). DS aims for quality so those same parts are more expensive due to trusted brands (like EVGA, Corsair, or the ever consistent Noctua). Why put something into a purchase that major that you can't trust?
Oh yeah.. and you left off the difference of Labor fees. That makes up a good part of the build on top of the warranty and customer service.

Edited by satsunada - 25 Dec 2009 at 4:04pm
If knowledge is power and power corrupts, then total knowledge corrupts totally.
 Post Reply Post Reply