FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need some help

Post Date: 2015-02-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
KGEliminator View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote KGEliminator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need some help
    Posted: 08 Feb 2015 at 12:10pm
Hi there! This is my first time on the forums, and I'm writing this from my phone so I apologize for any spelling errors.

So here is my dilemma. My cpu has been overheating and shutting my computer down automatically while I play games. I know this because of asus suite that shows me a bunch of stats on my computer. So I knew I needed to replace the thermal paste on my cpu in order to stop this from happening. I ordered the thermal paste and thermal paste cleaner and received it in the mail today. I proceed to take off my heat sink to get to my cpu, and as I unscrew all the screws the back panel that holds the heatsink in place under the mother board falls down.

So I now have to unplug all my components and cables to lift my motherboard up just to get to this piece. I end up cleaning old thermal paste, putting the new one on, ( only a pea sized amount) and I screw the heat sink back on. I put the whole motherboard back into my case, screw it back in, and plug in all the cables. I put my tower back, plug in the power, see the LED turn green inside my computer, and press the power button. Nothing happens.

So needless to say my computer is not starting up right now and I do not know how to approach this. I have unplugged and replugged all cables in, looked for any bent pins in the cpu. Everything seems fine but it just won't turn on.

My computer is a pre-built digital storm marauder- level 2 just in case people wanted to know. Any questions or advice would be amazing! Thanks!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Feb 2015 at 12:28pm
Hi KGEliminator... Sounds like your front panel Power on switch isn't connected to the mobo correctly. Check your mobo manual for locations, but the front panel connections for power on, HDD light, reset, etc usually go to the bottom right of the mobo. Very easy to get those small connectors on wrong.   

Reseat the 24 pin connector to the mobo. When you push power on, the green and any black wire on the 24 pin connector, might be pins 15 and 16, but double check, are shorted to send a the power ready signal to the power supply. Then it will turn on.

Hope it's that easy and good luck.
KGEliminator View Drop Down

Quote KGEliminator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Feb 2015 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Hi KGEliminator... Sounds like your front panel Power on switch isn't connected to the mobo correctly. Check your mobo manual for locations, but the front panel connections for power on, HDD light, reset, etc usually go to the bottom right of the mobo. Very easy to get those small connectors on wrong.   

Reseat the 24 pin connector to the mobo. When you push power on, the green and any black wire on the 24 pin connector, might be pins 15 and 16, but double check, are shorted to send a the power ready signal to the power supply. Then it will turn on.

Hope it's that easy and good luck.

It worked! It was the smaller power connector that I had on the top pins instead of the bottom pins. Pesky little connectors. Thank you so much for your quick assistance as well, I wasn't expecting anyone to respond for a day at the very least! I appreciate it more than you know.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Feb 2015 at 3:34pm
That is great to hear.

Yeah, those little suckers can be pesky for sure .   My old eyes need a magnifying glass to see what's what.

Nice job and enjoy.   

Post Reply Post Reply