Post Date: 2010-10-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need some official answers from DSO
    Posted: 30 Oct 2010 at 5:45pm
Preferably one of the guys who is actually involved with the builds.

Question 1:  Various people have reported negatively on the SATA 6 Ports being used with SSD's in that "Trim Commands are not supported"  My own research has led to a mixed set of results, Older Marvel device drivers did have issues with Trim not being passed to the SSD, However from what I have read in various places New drivers for the Sata 6GB ports have resolved this issue.  So my question is, with the Rampage III Extreme Board, does it make sense to plug the SSD into the Sata 6gb ports or not?  if the Port does not support trim, this would seem like a big no go.

Question 2:  Various people have differing opinions and commentary on Memory over 6GB on X58 boards.  Is there an actual problem in Overclocking systems with 12GB of Memory (in this case it will be the Rampage III Extreme board)

As I have said Ive seen a lot of commentary on the forms about this and have googled my little fingers off reading other peoples input and its a mixed bag, so am looking for the DSO builders responses here.

Thanks in advance for any info.

JStones View Drop Down

Quote JStones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 7:31pm
Im not from DS but my room mate just received her ds machine with 12 gigs of ram and an i7950 oc'd to 3.9 with the corsair air cooler and base evga x58 board.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 7:42pm
Question 1: I'll have to check with the team on this. I'll get back to you on this or our tech @Venom will shortly. We're going to verify this in-house on a system.

Question 2: More memory makes overclocking a little more complex on certain setups. Going with 12GB isn't an issue, even if you want a high-overclock. Going with an unlocked processor such as the i7 980X makes it easy since we don't have to worry to much about the BCLK and can easily overclock the CPU via multiplier increases.
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 7:50pm

Alex have you guys been looking at the high density RAM?  the 3 stick 12Gb sets are getting very affordable.Big%20Smile

12Gb is no problem overclocking, especially 1600Mhz, if you want 2200+Mhz stable, it gets a lot harder.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 8:51pm
MagiK,

I'm glad you asked those questions, especially the one in regards to RAM and overclocking. I had decided to drop to 6GB, even though my current work PC (That I can't bring home with me Cry) is 12GB, due to potential overclocking issues. But if I can get a nice set of 12GB RAM, which I know from experience I can utilize (for work tasks), and still receive a nice o/c then I'll most likely go that route.
Sigwolf View Drop Down

Quote Sigwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by justin.kerr

Alex have you guys been looking at the high density RAM?  the 3 stick 12Gb sets are getting very affordable.Big%20Smile

12Gb is no problem overclocking, especially 1600Mhz, if you want 2200+Mhz stable, it gets a lot harder.

That's my question, as well.  The way I understood it, the problem should not really be with running 12Gb RAM, but with OC's with all six slots filled.  If that's the case 12Gb with 3x4Gb shouldn't be any trickier than 6Gb with 3x2Gb sticks.

Then again, I could be wrong...   Confused%20Wink
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 11:15pm
higher density sticks pose a bit more problem than standard ones. We went through this when moving from 1Gb sticks to 2Gb sticks. But either way 1600Mhz RAM 12Gb is not a  problem, it does put more stress on the integrated memory controller, but it is not a big deal, high RAM speeds does magnify the problem. It takes a very, very good IMC to run 2200Mhz+ of 12Gb RAM stable.
 I would much prefer to have (3) 4Gb sticks, slightly less latency than the 6 x 2Gb sticks, and gives a much better door to upgrading to 24Gb.
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 9:35am
A.  My intention was to use 1600mhz RAM but was open to going to 2000 or higher if it made the OC more stable. 

B.  From a purely asthetic point, I prefer 3x4GB sticks over 6x2GB  unless theres a problem with the OC.  I dont need the HIGHEST OC but I want a VERY stable OC.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 10:16am

higher the RAM speed, the harder it is to get stable.

Hopefully Alex it chime in on the 3x 4Gb sticks, it seems like it is finally price effective.
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 10:26am
Is it harder to get STABLE when underclocked?   What I was getting at is if Using Memory with higher rated speeds makes it easier to OC the system but at lower than rated speeds, I could go that way,  yeah I may not get 2000 or 2200 out of it but can I do better with that memory than with memory rated at 1600.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 11:07am

no, it has nothing to do with the RAM, it has everything to do with the Integrated Memory Controller, which is on the CPU itself. Taking 2000Mhz RAM and running it at 1600 is no less load than running 1600Mhz RAM at 1600Mhz, most 1600 Mhz RAM will run at 2000Mhz anyways, just loose timings. lol

venom View Drop Down

Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 1:59pm
In regards to the Marvell SATAIII controller, I haven't found out for sure if TRIM is enabled or not.  You can check TRIM support using CrystalDiskInfo (Google), and I believe CrystalDiskMark will also tell you.  I will also be testing this at DS to know for sure on all current motherboards.

From what I tested at home, performance was worse on the Marvell controller versus the Intel when using a SATAII SSD, though I couldn't really notice the difference unless I ran a benchmark such as CrystalDiskMark, or AS SSD Benchmark.  Your results may vary depending on the SSD and Marvell controller used, as well as the SSD firmware and controller firmware.

I would not suggest updating the Marvell firmware on any EVGA motherboards as currently the update forces the controller into IDE mode versus AHCI, and there is no option to change it in the BIOS or the Marvell ROM (thanks EVGA...).  As far as I know, IDE does not support TRIM.
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 2:12pm
Thanks for the info Venom, it is something that will be vital to my build when the new systems get released.  I will need to know how to have my Disks connected.

Justin So what you are saying is that, the Higher Specced RAM will not perform better than 1600 RAM?  The OC's will be the same or less?
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 2:26pm
no hes saying that speed wise, 1600 ram and 2000mhz is just a rating, similar to the 920 950 idea but on a better scale
the ram rated at 2000mhz will run at the stock settings for that ram stick (or should) but stability will also depend on the mobo

but a 1600mhz stick may run at 2200mhz.. just may need to make a timing sacrifice

its a 3 way scale, timings, speed, and cost:
timing goes down, speed will likely need to decrease
speed goes up, timings may need to go up
if you want higher speed with lower timings, thats where price starts to go up
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 2:42pm
So the Corsair Dominator memory might perform better after all, but not be Bang per Buck wise?

Edited by MagiK - 04 Nov 2010 at 2:42pm
venom View Drop Down

Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 2:46pm
Stability would mainly depend on the CPU IMC's ability to handle that speed.

I'd say anything over 1866MHz isn't really worth it unless your benching.  Lower timings is always better though it comes at a cost as !ender stated.

The CPU overclocking ability will not change if you're using 1600MHz or 2000MHz unless heat becomes an issue.  If the CPU requires a lot of VTT to handle the 2000MHz, your overclock may be limited due to cooling.

Edited by venom - 04 Nov 2010 at 2:47pm
venom View Drop Down

Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 2:48pm
1600MHz DS Certified and Corsair have the same speed and timings, so the performance should be identical.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 2:50pm
thats a dangerous territory, my synthetics have always shown that intel cares way more about high speed than timings.. granted that was on 775
the best answer i can give you for that, since im pretty sure you were looking to run intensive sims is that ... its probably not going to give you a cost effective difference to go over 1800mhz-ish with cas9-ish timings

i do plan on doing some very exhausting comparitive testing of bclk / multi combinations and ram speed/timing combinations on 1156 soon but probabaly not before you order, you can look up some of that stuff but it seems like most people half ass thier testing in this area, so its hard for me to pick a conclusive stance, worse still, i dont know crap about whatever kind of sims you are wanting to run, i'd imagine if they were somehow super ram intensive you could look into some more extreme options?

another problem is that CAS testing for me hasnt gone too well so far, the ram i have is rated at 2400mhz cas 9 11 9 27
it is NOT happy being below cas 9.. but again, intel seems to favor higher speeds in my exp

for right now, i would personally say go for higher density over bothering with something that is 2000mhz or more, based on what ive read
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by MagiK

Thanks for the info Venom, it is something that will be vital to my build when the new systems get released.  I will need to know how to have my Disks connected.

Justin So what you are saying is that, the Higher Specced RAM will not perform better than 1600 RAM?  The OC's will be the same or less?
Higher speed RAM is just that,  If you are getting the 980x CPU, RAM speed will not effect the overclock at all.
RAM speed and CPU speed are not connected, there are done independently.
The faster the RAM the better, performance wise, but, scaling is not linear, the faster you go, the less the gain will be.
Myself, if using 1600Mhz RAM I like the Timings to be CAS 6, CAS 7 at the max, but I also tune every single timing, where from DS 95% of the timings will be on AUTO. 
The total bandwidth that RAM can handle is not a calc just off the RAM speed, but also the timings, or cycles, and also the BUS speed, going to and from the RAM also influences the bandwidth.
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 4:11pm
Ok think I understand...well enough anyway Big%20Smile  Ill probably stick with the DS Certified 1600 Memory unless the higher density modules become available, I think I would prefer 3 sticks to 6.

Planning on i7 980x, Asus RE III mobo, Corsair 1200 watt PS and which ever memory is available..    I realize that CPU, Memory and GPU OC's are separate issues.
venom View Drop Down

Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 5:53pm

Originally posted by MagiK

Higher speed RAM is just that,  If you are getting the 980x CPU, RAM speed will not effect the overclock at all.
RAM speed and CPU speed are not connected, there are done independently.
The faster the RAM the better, performance wise, but, scaling is not linear, the faster you go, the less the gain will be.
Myself, if using 1600Mhz RAM I like the Timings to be CAS 6, CAS 7 at the max, but I also tune every single timing, where from DS 95% of the timings will be on AUTO. 
The total bandwidth that RAM can handle is not a calc just off the RAM speed, but also the timings, or cycles, and also the BUS speed, going to and from the RAM also influences the bandwidth.

If you have some time one day, I'd like to know what the other 100 timings are for lol.  I guess google could tell me but, I'm more interested in the ones that will have a greater increase in performance, versus those that have a very minimal impact.
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 6:00pm
Probably leading edge adjustments trailing edge adjustments and a ton of arcane electrical engineering details Hahaha
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 6:33pm
eh, there is definitely not a lot of good info online about it, there are bits and pieces, but thats really such a degree of fine tuning that its tireless from what i understand from justin, lol, not something you slam together in a few hours

ill get there eventually... but geez there is just so much going on right now =|
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 7:27pm

usually 2 weeks work to  get every single timing set to optimum settings..

TRRD use to be one that you get gain a decent amount of performance on, but most mobo's have them set fairly close anymore. RTL's have been the furthest off, and usually offer some of the best gains,.  A lot of the times they are 20+ cycles off from optimum. RTL's have to be tuned to each RAM slot though, can't use the same setting for all of them.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 8:48pm

<FONT style=": #000000">Alex have you guys been looking at the high density RAM?  the 3 stick 12Gb sets are getting very affordable.Big%20Smile

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll ping the product team about it.
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2010 at 12:40pm
Has anyone heard back from Venom about TRIM and the Sata 3 ports?
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2010 at 1:41pm
Let me ask him.
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2010 at 4:22pm
I came across some testing on that recently, see this thread.

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=12801

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap

The Marvell 9128 does not pass along the TRIM command to the drives when using MSAHCI driver, and as mentioned previously not with the 1042 Marvell driver either.

Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2010 at 5:31pm
Dragoon I want a firm answer from someone who is actively testing it now, Ive found conflicting reports from all over the net...so I want an answer from the people that will be building my system.  No offense.  Apparently from what I can tell the problem was not the Marvell chips but the drivers being used....or so it has been reported.

Edited by MagiK - 12 Nov 2010 at 5:31pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2010 at 5:44pm
This is more testing on the subject than anyone at DS has or ever will do, so take it or leave it. The testing methods and results are all covered in great detail.

The Marvell 9128 chip was test with multiple drivers, both from Microsoft (MSACHI) and Marvell (1042), with no TRIM support in either case.
Lilim
venom View Drop Down

Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2010 at 6:01pm
I have my doubts about it supporting TRIM, now knowing how crappy that Marvell chip is with SATAII drives (not sure how it performs with SATAIII yet), or maybe it's just EVGA having issues.  I'll test both EVGA and ASUS.

I'll be testing the Marvell controller with different drivers within the next few days, has been crazy busy here.

Edited by venom - 12 Nov 2010 at 6:03pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2010 at 6:15pm

let me know if you need any help identifying if TRIM is working or not. Ninja

venom View Drop Down

Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2010 at 6:44pm
Is CrystalDiskInfo enough or does it get faked out?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2010 at 6:50pm
download Intel SSD toolbox, click on view drive info, scroll down to line 169,  data set management bit 0  if value is 0 no TRIM, if 1 then TRIM is working.

for testing I usually use ATTO

Edited by justin.kerr - 12 Nov 2010 at 6:51pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2010 at 6:55pm
I prefer CrystalDiskMark and AS SSD for testing.

Does Intel SSD Toolbox make a distinction between the TRIM command being sent, and the the controller/SSD doing anything with it?

EDIT: Never mind answered that myself, it reports a value of 1 for my RAID array, even though there is no TRIM in an array, so it can only tell you so much.

Edited by Dragoonseal - 12 Nov 2010 at 7:01pm
Lilim
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>