FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need suggestions on new highend computer

Post Date: 2016-08-05

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Spjutulf View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Spjutulf Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need suggestions on new highend computer
    Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 11:19am
So the time has come that I feel that I need to replace my 2012 home built computer with something more up to date. I rather just get a custom professionally built computer then building another one especially if I’m to dabble with custom liquid cooling.

But I’m pretty much open to any suggestions as I’m on the fence on if liquid cooling is actually worth it or if the money is better spent on upgrading the parts. Also on the topic of liquid cooling, is it worth cooling the GPU’s also?

Advice on good monitors is also appriciated.

Budget:
$5000- $6000. This is for the box only. It can be extended a bit above but I don’t want to really really overkill it, overkill is good enough.

Expectations:
Gaming rig that can max out on graphics settings at higher resolutions such as 2560 x 1440 or even resonably well at 3840 x 2160, dual GPU, able to fully support VR on high-end settings. Thinking 2-3 monitors.

Usage:
Mainly gaming. Example of games are GTA 5, Microsoft Flight Simulator, Elite Dangerous, Star Citizen, Eve Online, The Division etc. So mainly graphically intensive titles.

Special Needs:
I do have some hard drives that I would like to swap into this system if possible, 1 SSD 120GB, 1 SATA Drive 2 TB and One Intel PCI-E 910 800 GB.

Saved Ticket #: I have played around with the configurator on and off for the last months, don’t really have a preference beyond the Aventum or Hailstorm box. So I guess I’m just looking for some good inputs from people that have more experience on the parts side then I do. What I have looked on mainly is the standard Best level of Aventum and Hailstorm.

Thank you in advance!

Spjutulf

Edited by Spjutulf - 05 Aug 2016 at 11:25am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 2:00pm
So LC is a luxury, you can get good temps with air but if you want better temps you need lc but all lc are not the same true lc is an open loop with custom parts, the hydrolux pro is the closest to it, next step down and above the noctua and corsair cooler is hydrolux lite, below that IMHO you should go noctu since at this level noctua will match perfomrance or beat it.

Click Image To Go To Configuration Page

If you want to put both cpu and gpu under lc we can do that, keep in mind that with lc you need to be ok with working on it should something go wrong or just for maintenance.

If you are ok with that and want LC on cpu and gpu let me know, keep in mind we can put the cpu on air too and in velox that would be great.

Here is both under lc:

Now I didn't really pay attention to the OS drive, you said you had some hdds/ssds you wanted to add, so can you clarify if you want us to give you a ssd here for os on your build or do you want to go with a cheap drive and you will clone the cheap to your own ssd and drop in the ssd as os drive?

and finally here is the same setup but with air:

Edited by DST4ME - 05 Aug 2016 at 2:30pm
Spjutulf View Drop Down

Quote Spjutulf Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 2:32pm
DST4ME,

Thank you for your quick reply, that build looks great.
Is there any particular reason you recommend Velox over the 2 chassis I mentioned. Just speaking from an esthetics standpoint I like the design of the other two better, so I would love to hear if there are any performance differences. I’m not saying the Velox looks bad though.

Now going for SLI Titan X might be “really, really overkill” but would guarantee longer life at least on the graphics department, however I’m worried that the CPU would be the bottleneck in this case at least on lower resolutions such as 1920 x 1080 as far as I have read through the reviews. Let’s say for the sake of it that we drop down to SLI 1080’s instead what could we do that would improve the performance?

Also do you know if it would be possible for me to fit the 3 Hard Drives I mentioned in this build? I assume I would have to do the cabling myself for the SSD and the HD, i.e any slots if present does not come with cables in place if disks are not ordered, putting in the PCI-E disk is easy enough.

Cheers

Spjutulf
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 2:52pm
OK first build and third build are on velox for best airflow, in the first build only cpu is under lc so gpu/s will need good airflow, the third build both cpu and gpu/s are under air so again we want best airflow. IMHO velox gives us the best airflow, hailstorm is ok also, but for airflow I like the velox but again hailstorm will do also, I like the fact that the air comes from the front in velox rather then the bottom from hailstorm.

Gave you sli titan because you said 4k monitor, and multi monitor, on a 4k monitor a single titan is better then sli 1080 due to the fact that it gives you 60fps in a single card, single card is always better then sli when possible.

Now the titan is expensive but your budget allows for it so I thought I run it by you and see what you think.

We can go sli 1080 for higher fps if you like, its your choice, if you have the money I say go titan, you can go single titan if you like and then you can always add the second yourself. Same with 1080.

IF you are not going 4k then we have no need for titan. for 1080p a 1070/1060 is more then enough, you don't even need a single 1080, for 1440p single 1080 will take great care of you.

You never clarified your os drive situation for me, none of my drives above have the os drive I like to advise.

all the cases mentioned can easily do 5 or more hdd/ssd internal, you should have extra cables that come with mobo and psu for data and power.

Edited by DST4ME - 05 Aug 2016 at 3:15pm
Spjutulf View Drop Down

Quote Spjutulf Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 3:17pm
Thanks for explaining. I agree I prefer the airflow to come from front instead from below.

So my current OS situation is that I run Windows 7 PRO OEM on the 120 GB SSD, the 2 TB Hard drive and the PCI-E Intel 910 800 Gb is for storage only. So that license is obviously not transferable. So an OS drive is needed.

If we for the sake of argument say that we drop 4K from the picture and do 1440P instead with dual 1080's, is there anything we can do to enhance the performance in other parts? Or is the only difference basically the price?

Cheers

Spjutulf
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 4:21pm
For 1080p all you need is a single 1080 sli is not needed, if you like we can make a system that can do sli but comes with one 1080, later if needed you add the second 1080 very easy.

If you like to know how easy it is to add a gpu yourself look here

Below you see the 1080 and 1070 at 1440p, as you can see with most games you can get away with a single 1070 but not all games, the 1080 covers almost all games.

For the os drive I would go samsung 950 pro m.2 512GB ssd

Edited by DST4ME - 05 Aug 2016 at 4:24pm
Spjutulf View Drop Down

Quote Spjutulf Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 5:23pm
Again thank you DST4ME, your insight is very valuable.

So i think i want something in the middle of what we have been talking about. So lets go with 1 Titan, and the OS disk you recommended and lets bump up to exotic cooling.

Then further down you could add one more if needed. This should allow me to max out the games i want to play in 1440P and also use VR.

This ends up something like this:

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1465495

Now the question is if i should add any further disks so that I get that nice cable management and only plug in my old drives to transfer the data. the PCI-E can just be put in as it does not sue any cables.

Cheers

Spjutulf

Edited by Spjutulf - 05 Aug 2016 at 5:28pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 7:11pm
Ask DS to run your wires for the number of drives you want to add both power and data.

You bumped your oc to stage 2, this can result in high vcore, I would recommend sticking with stage 1 oc here.

The titan is great for vr IMHO tho right now 1080 is all you need for all the games out there with the exception of 2, nvidia's own vr game and start wars.

the titan for 1440p is pure overkill they only reason I'm not gonna say don't get it is because of vr and the fact that you want to be getting a 4k ips 144Hz monitor down the road.

Keep in mind the warranty is one year part so if you want longer part warranty raise your warranty, when I got mine I went with the longest one they have which was a 5 year part warranty, not sure if they still do it but I believe it was extra $100 for each extra year after that if one wanted to get longer warranty.

Edited by DST4ME - 05 Aug 2016 at 7:12pm
Spjutulf View Drop Down

Quote Spjutulf Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 7:36pm
Thanks,

The bump was not intentional, I Think you have given me a solid base to go on here so again I appreciate your input. Also great that you can request extra wiring upfront so that you just can plug in the drives.

I will think this over some more before I decide to pull the trigger.

Cheers

Spjutulf

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 7:44pm
My pleasure if you have any other questions be sure to ask, Good luck Boss
Spjutulf View Drop Down

Quote Spjutulf Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 11:42am
I'm Necroposting my old thread instead of starting a new one so everyone has the background.

After finally settling in the US and finishing fun stuff like Taxes and sorting out my economy I'm finally in the position to purchase a High-end computer.

This is the new setup what I came up with

Build

Not shown here is that I will ask DS to put in an EVGA FTW3/SC2 card instead of stock and prewire for 1 SSD / 1 Regular HDD. Using a Single GC will also allow me to fit my Intel PCI-e SSD and hopefully a soundcard.

The reason with going with the 7700K instead of for example the 7800X is that when I look at benchmarks for games 7700K almost always outperform, is cheaper and I really do not need the additional cores.

Now the only thing I'm not certain on is the cooling, the liquid cooling looks awesome and that is the main reason I picked it, but I'm one the fence and thinking about maybe just going with a sealed system (that I have now) with a 120 MM Fan.

Any other tips or tweeks?

Cheers

Spjutulf
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 12:22pm
Hi Spjutulf .... that looks like an excellent build to me.

Couple of comments....... you don't need more than 16gb ram for gaming.   Nothing wrong with more but it would save a few bucks.

I agree with the7700k for gaming, even over the Ryzen higher core processors.

As far as AIO liquid vs Hydrolux water... Both get the job done, especially if you don't push the overclock to the 4.8-5.0 mark.   Your Velox pick is a right facing window with inverted motherboard.    That means the Corsair AIO rad will be mounted in the front, behind 2 of the front fans because of hose length.   The Hydrolux rad would mount to the top, the heat exiting out the top.   My guess is they will face the front rad fans for Corsair into the case.     I haven't heard of any heat issues with that setup but I like rads exiting the heat.    But, Corsair is zero maintenance vs water cooling.   I would pick the AIO for its no maintenance and potentially less trouble but still don't like heat blowing in, if that's what they do. Might want to ask them.

You don't need to pick overclock to 4.4 since the 7700k Turbos to 4.5 anyways. New processors Turbo to all cores unlike older ones that stepped the clock across the cores.

Looks good as is, but you could save a few bucks.    

Edited by bprat22 - 14 Jul 2017 at 12:44pm
Spjutulf View Drop Down

Quote Spjutulf Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Hi Spjutulf .... that looks like an excellent build to me.

Couple of comments....... you don't need more than 16gb ram for gaming.   Nothing wrong with more but it would save a few bucks.

I agree with the7700k for gaming, even over the Ryzen higher core processors.

As far as AIO liquid vs Hydrolux water... Both get the job done, especially if you don't push the overclock to the 4.8-5.0 mark.   Your Velox pick is a right facing new window with inverted motherboard.    That means the Corsair AIO will be mounted in the front, behind 2 of the front fans because of hose length.   The Hydrolux would mount to the top, the heat exiting out the top.   My guess is they will face the front rad fans for Corsair into the case.     I haven't heard of any heat issues with that setup but I like rads exiting the heat.    But, Corsair is zero maintenance vs water cooling.   I would pick the AIO for its no maintenance and potentially less trouble but still don't like heat blowing in, if that's what they do. Might want to ask them.

You don't need to pick overclock to 4.4 since the 7700k Turbos to 4.5 anyways. New processors Turbo to all cores unlike older ones that stepped the clock across the cores.

Looks good as is, but you could save a few bucks.    

Thanks bprat, just the one I hoped would give me some input!
So for the Corsair which one would you recommend, the DS is a 120 or 240 MM the Corsairs are 240 or 280 MM, I'm leaning to the 115i as I like the way the tubes go into the CPU bracket compare to the 110i GT (Not seen on DS images). I will check with them how they mount it as I agree the heat should go out, that's they way I currently have it on my rig.

110i

115i

I might keep the RAM as then I can still do some rendering in Vue, not that this will be the primary use.

Edited by Spjutulf - 14 Jul 2017 at 1:07pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 2:20pm
My pleasure.

I would grab the 115i for its 280mm rad.   There really isn't much difference in performance , a few degrees mean nothing, but might as well get the latest and I think it has been parts tweaked.    

Get the Corsair unit. The DS branded might only give you their own warranty, 1 year parts, vs 5 years for Corsair last I looked. Basically similar units but DS assumes the warranty for a savings, I believe.

Spjutulf View Drop Down

Quote Spjutulf Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 2:41pm

My pleasure.

I would grab the 115i for its 280mm rad.   There really isn't much difference in performance , a few degrees mean nothing, but might as well get the latest and I think it has been parts tweaked.    

Get the Corsair unit. The DS branded might only give you their own warranty, 1 year parts, vs 5 years for Corsair last I looked. Basically similar units but DS assumes the warranty for a savings, I believe.

Thanks bprat22. I will probably send in the order this weekend and see what they say about the mounting and the specific card I want.

Spjutulf
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 3:27pm
I'm not sure how I'd want the front rad fans facing. Facing in adds heat to the case and blowing out might be near where I sit.    Wish they still offered the Noctua, or maybe I'd mount my own Noctua after getting one.   Decisions.

Spjutulf View Drop Down

Quote Spjutulf Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 6:58am

I'm not sure how I'd want the front rad fans facing. Facing in adds heat to the case and blowing out might be near where I sit.    Wish they still offered the Noctua, or maybe I'd mount my own Noctua after getting one.   Decisions.

Order placed, lets see what they come back with Big%20Smile

Edited by Spjutulf - 15 Jul 2017 at 7:36am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 7:26am
Nice.  Awesome     
 Post Reply Post Reply