FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need to control RGB on CM fans from Redux PC.

Post Date: 2022-02-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ozzuneoj View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ozzuneoj Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need to control RGB on CM fans from Redux PC.
    Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 1:04pm
TL;DR: Got a second hand PC with a Digital Storm fan controller and 5x 3pin (NOT pin_blank_pin_pin) RGB Cooler Master fans (look just like MF120s) and no remote. The motherboard only has 4pin (12v,RGB) headers. What are my options to control the fan lighting? The 3-pin connectors don't seem to match any industry standard RGB controllers.

I've been building PCs for 23 years but I've never really been into RGB stuff, so this is my first encounter with RGB fans.

I got a smoking deal on a budget PC a couple weeks ago. It came with an Asus Prime B460M-A in a "Redux" branded Cooler Master TD500 with 5x matching CM RGB fans.

There was no remote included with the PC and the motherboard only has 4pin (12v, R G B) headers, while the fans (which look like MF120 Halo fans) each have a simple 3 pin connector (NOT the pin_blank_pin_pin ones). They were all connected to a Digital Storm fan controller board on the back of the case which gives them a constant rainbow effect. I disconnected the 3 front fan LEDs for now, and I took a picture of the controller. You can see the 3pin fan plugs loose on the left side:

Does anyone know what I can use to control these? I have a feeling this thing originally had a remote, but I have no idea if it's possible to get a replacement. I also realized more recently that the fan controller starts acting up if I connect more than a couple fans so I may end up replacing it anyway... but I'd really prefer to replace it with something that could control the RGB as well.

Thank you for any advice you can give.

Edited by ozzuneoj - 08 Feb 2022 at 1:20pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 3:32am
IDK why DS support would not be helpful in some way. It has not happened more than a time or two, but it seems I recall they want some original info from the purchase from them. Perhaps it's to assure the rig was not stolen. If you are able to provide anything like that from the original buyer, I believe they will help you. Worth a shot, maybe.   
ozzuneoj View Drop Down

Quote ozzuneoj Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by Cretae

IDK why DS support would not be helpful in some way. It has not happened more than a time or two, but it seems I recall they want some original info from the purchase from them. Perhaps it's to assure the rig was not stolen. If you are able to provide anything like that from the original buyer, I believe they will help you. Worth a shot, maybe.   

Sorry for the late reply. I thought I was subscribed to the topic but I guess I wasnt. :)

Thank you for the input. Since the DS controller's PWM portion has problems anyway I was hoping someone would know how to use these fans with a different (non-DS) RGB controller. I don't think DS is likely to be much help with that, and I also have no way to get the original receipt for the PC. I will try contacting them though.

If anyone is familiar with this style of fan or adapting them to work on a standard store-bought RGB controller I would love to know what my options are.

In the meantime I will just use PWM splitters from the motherboard to control the fans and leave the RGB disconnected. If I can at least find a remote that would be an okay solution (at least as long as the remote stays working).

Edited by ozzuneoj - 05 Mar 2022 at 10:44pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 4:28am
Well, a quick search led me here. Perhaps it's helpful, but if not, there were a lot of other hits to look at.

https://www.thetechfixr.com/how-to-change-cooler-master-fan-color/

Good luck.   
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 6:56am
Originally posted by ozzuneoj

I've been building PCs for 23 years but I've never really been into RGB stuff, so this is my first encounter with RGB fans.

I can relate. When building PCs in the early '00s we only had static LED fans, no separate RGB cable/control.

Also, I too have only recently dealt with ARGB. Addressable RGB is interesting/nice, though also a mess because (of course) companies want to coerce/force you to stay in their ecosystem (i.e., software compatibility limitations and various connectors) -- basically, no practical standard.

Following a lot of Web searches:

(which look like MF120 Halo fans)

Could they be Thermaltake Riing fans?

each have a simple 3 pin connector (NOT the pin_blank_pin_pin ones)

Apparently, this is referred to as VDG. Confusing/annoyingly, VDG is the same voltage, data, ground configuration as ARGB but in a more compact connector/header (i.e., there's no pin spacer). Get ready to face palm harder as the connector has also been labeled DRGB/D-RGB (Digital RGB).

Hopefully, this will provide a tiny bit of clarification/insight:

I need a little bit of aid connecting my VDG | Linus Tech Tips (Forum)

Does anyone know what I can use to control these?

You could try the TT RGB Plus software.

On the hardware side, I was not able to locate a compatible cable/adapter -- they had the wrong male/female ends.

Thermaltake does have the TT Sync Controller. However, I cannot verify what fan connectors it supports.

P.S. Corsair appears to be repurposing a legacy connector/header.

Corsair RGB connectors are NOT proprietary! | Solarity Technology (YouTube)
• Ryzen 5600X, ROG Strix B550-I, RX 6900 XT, 32GB Vengeance, 960GB MP510
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
AhmedShah View Drop Down

Quote AhmedShah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2022 at 6:42am
I am having the same problem. Did you find any suitable solution?
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2022 at 2:57pm
https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Controller-3-Pin-Ports/dp/B07Z7WLWD5
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 Post Reply Post Reply