FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need to replace my 10 year old system

Post Date: 2021-04-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CantRememberIt View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote CantRememberIt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need to replace my 10 year old system
    Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 7:45pm
Hi all,

I've bought three systems from DS over the last ten years, all excellent. Finally looking to upgrade the oldest.

Budget: $5k

Needs: image processing, moderate gaming (at 1920 x 1200).

I really want a quiet system. For context my current machine (i7-3770k, GTX 670, air cooled, Cooler Master HAF) is very quiet. The only thing I ever notice is a slight whine from the 670.

Is the cooling solution I've chosen quiet? DS does not seem to offer an equivalent of the outstanding Noctua heat sink and fan that is in my old machine. Can something like this be specially requested? Would air cooling do the job?

I assume the RTX 3060 Ti will pretty much guarantee top notch performance at 1080p for any likely game.

I don't think I have ever owned an AMD product, but these new "Threadripper" processors seem to be very impressive. I also like the name "Threadripper". If I get another dog that's what I'll call him.They're also specifically recommended for the software I use for image processing. Having said that it seems that the 3960 version is a better deal than the others - a lot cheaper with performance that's not too far away. 

Finally I need fast, fairly extensive storage. Are the drives I've chosen appropriate to the MB and CPU (still confused about M.2, PCIe 4.0 etc)?

Thanks!

Configuration Code: 3859982
Total Price with Instant Savings: $4,935.00

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos <br><strong></strong>
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X (24-Core) (Boost Up to 4.5 GHz) <br><strong></strong>
Motherboard: ASUS Prime TRX40-Pro S (AMD TRX40 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices) (ECC Support)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W Digital Storm Performance Series (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Samsung 980 PRO) (NVM Express) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Seagate FireCuda 520) (NVM Express) (Gen4 PCIe) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: Wireless PCI-E (Supports 802.11ac) <br><strong></strong>
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux LITE: Integrated Cooling System (CPU Only) <br><strong></strong>
HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)  <br><strong></strong>
HydroLux Fluid Color: Red Fluid + Clear Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System) <br><strong></strong>
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes) <br><strong></strong>
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 30-35 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement) 
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 3:29am
Welcome back. Awesome
The real gurus will be around but IMO that is a great system and I totally agree that a Noctua would be great. That said the Hydrolux Lite is not maintenance free like an AIO would be. The AIO (wish there were more options) is the best alternative to the Noctua and as maintenance free as can be without the pump failing.
Also be mindful that the warranty is only 1 year parts.
Enjoy.
Smile
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 5:44am
Originally posted by CantRememberIt

I really want a quiet system. For context my current machine (i7-3770k, GTX 670, air cooled, Cooler Master HAF) is very quiet. The only thing I ever notice is a slight whine from the 670. Is the cooling solution I've chosen quiet? DS does not seem to offer an equivalent of the outstanding Noctua heat sink and fan that is in my old machine. Can something like this be specially requested? Would air cooling do the job? I don't think I have ever owned an AMD product, but these new "Threadripper" processors seem to be very impressive. I also like the name "Threadripper". If I get another dog that's what I'll call him. They're also specifically recommended for the software I use for image processing. Having said that it seems that the 3960 version is a better deal than the others - a lot cheaper with performance that's not too far away.

As the name implies, the Threadripper series is meant for tearing through multithread applications/workflows. So, if you're using a professional app -- especially one that recommends it -- the TR is indeed the way to go.

Next, cooling...

I'm quite anti-liquid cooling. So, when I say, you probably won't be able to get by air cooling that CPU with the efficiency you desire, I don't say it lightly. Technically, yes, there are capable air coolers. However, it's a 280 watt TDP rated CPU -- the cost of all that expansion data handling it can do. Therefore, the cooling option you chose, especially with the silence you want, is probably best. Although, you'll need to wait for others with actual experience to confirm and note loudness, etc.

Finally I need fast, fairly extensive storage. Are the drives I've chosen appropriate to the MB and CPU (still confused about M.2, PCIe 4.0 etc)?

Are they compatible? Yes. Will they both connect at PCIe 4.0? Yes. Are the capacities, distribution what you need/want? I prefer to leave that to the user.

Edited by MrCheetah - 11 Apr 2021 at 5:47am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 5:51am
DS will not install a Noctua for you. Simply too much risk to the whole machine should poor handling in transit dislodge the beast.

I think you have done well here. The 3060 Ti is absolutely a killer top-end 1080p solution, and more would just be burning cash.

The 980 PRO is top-notch. I assume there is plenty of PCIe goodness in that mobo to run another NVMe drive. they are up to 5-10X faster than SATA.

I think you might be a bit light on your RAM. There's little doubt here you could render faster with another 32K. You may have a plan.

Normally, I wouldn't, but you might want to spring for the airflow control to assure quiet running. There should be some fan control available in the BIOS, but being able to fine-tune your fans to your liking might be something to consider.

The Threadripper speaks for itself. You will have a very hard time believing what you have, and how you could ever have gotten by with less. Good job IMHO!   
CantRememberIt View Drop Down

Quote CantRememberIt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 2:54pm
Thanks everyone - that's all really helpful!

hoserator - well spotted concerning the warranty, I didn't even notice. I seem to remember the last time I bought a system, DS offered a free 4 year warranty + 5 business days assembly. The good old days I suppose Big%20Smile

MrCheetah - understood concerning storage. I can probably add more if/when I need it.

Cretae - thanks for the extra RAM suggestion - I should think about that.

So about the cooling: the Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 seems as though it might work in principle. Possibly I could get the simplest water cooling option DS offers and then replace it with the Noctua myself. The Noctua is 165 mm tall - do you know if it will fit in the Lumos case? For that matter is there a more appropriate case option? Can I ask DS to install the GPU in the right PCI slot so it won't block the cooler?

Cretae - I understand the transit issue. Actually, I live fairly close to the DS offices - I wonder i they would let me pick it up myself.  Perhaps I could send them the cooler and have them install it. No idea if they will do that.

MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 4:27pm

So about the cooling: the Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 seems as though it might work in principle. Possibly I could get the simplest water cooling option DS offers and then replace it with the Noctua myself. The Noctua is 165 mm tall - do you know if it will fit in the Lumos case? For that matter is there a more appropriate case option?

From what I've read, the Lumos is a Corsair 570X. And if we look at the tech specs...

Crystal Series™ 570X RGB - Technical Specifications
Case Dimensions: 480mm x 234mm x 512mm
Maximum CPU Cooler Height: 170mm

17blue17 View Drop Down

Quote 17blue17 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 6:52pm
deleted

Edited by 17blue17 - 12 Apr 2021 at 1:46pm
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 7:45pm
(Re)moved

Edited by MrCheetah - 12 Apr 2021 at 8:57pm
17blue17 View Drop Down

Quote 17blue17 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 12:54am
deleted

Edited by 17blue17 - 12 Apr 2021 at 1:47pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 3:29am

So about the cooling: the Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 seems as though it might work in principle. Possibly I could get the simplest water cooling option DS offers and then replace it with the Noctua myself. The Noctua is 165 mm tall - do you know if it will fit in the Lumos case? For that matter is there a more appropriate case option? Can I ask DS to install the GPU in the right PCI slot so it won't block the cooler?
Cretae - I understand the transit issue. Actually, I live fairly close to the DS offices - I wonder i they would let me pick it up myself.  Perhaps I could send them the cooler and have them install it. No idea if they will do that.

There may be some cautions due to current circumstances, but in the past for the nearly 11 years I am acquainted with DS, they would be very willing and able install the Noctua and hold the rig for pick-up. I strongly suggest you contact directly:   [email protected]   and ask that question. He has the power to make an exception if needs be to accommodate you. He'll tell you who's better to order the part. I think it's an elegant solution, so good luck!
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 1:38pm
Please do contact DS regarding picking up the pc at their site and for the special cooling. (all doable in the past) Mention the following caveats to see what they propose.

As you mention, Noctua coolers are huge all around. They also limit the height of RAM sticks.  There is a notched Noctua and also short sticks as possible solutions.

Also, if you locate the gpu in another slot it might not be able to communicate at speeds compared to slot 1. (closest to cpu)

Good luck. Smile

There are a lot of things DS has stopped doing that hopefully are temporary in nature  since they diminish the allure of their systems. Cry

Post Reply Post Reply