Nehalem getting SLI.

Post Date: 2008-07-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Online Status: Offline
  Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Nehalem getting SLI.
    Posted: 11 Jul 2008 at 1:38pm
According to some recent eastern reports, the stars have finally aligned and while hell didn't freeze over and the four horsemen of the apocalypse have yet to reach Earth, Nvidia and Intel actually managed to reach an agreement, or better yet, a compromise regarding the QPI (QuickPath Interconnect) license and SLI support for the upcoming Nehalem platforms.

For starters, Nvidia got its QPI license and will be able to make chipsets for Intel's future platforms but it will apparently skip the Bloomfield platform, at least at first and focus its nForce releases on the 2009-bound LGA1160 Lynnfield/Cleaksfield platform.

As for Intel's high-end LGA1366 Bloomfield setup, it will serve both CrossFireX and SLI support, the latter being possible with the including of Nvidia's BR-04 nF 200 chips on X58 motherboards. It's not exactly the best solution but at least it will enable users to choose what multi-GPU configuration they want (like Skulltrail just cheaper).

The Bloomfield platform is expected to debut in the fourth quarter of this year.
source: tcmagazine
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
workingman View Drop Down

Quote workingman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2008 at 3:38pm
what joyous news....im so happy..may not happen when im ready to buy....but things can change...i dont care for amd..or ati...whahoooo....made my day skyR....and i take back every xfire i ever posted...Clap
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2008 at 1:35pm
haha
Kliebor2 View Drop Down

Quote Kliebor2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2008 at 1:02pm
This is cool, I am so glad that problems with licensing/permission are not going to cause lack of choice in the market.

Dave
Digital Storm 950Si - Q9450 Quad Core @ 3 Ghz
Dual PNY OC2 GTX 560Ti
8 Gigabytes DDR2/800
2 Western Digital 500 GB SATAII 7200 RPM HD
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jul 2008 at 1:38am
Well, it's not going to be like it has been. It's very cool that at least something will be available for those with their hearts set on a Nehelam and SLI, but it's not going to be with a nVidia chipset. Intel is going to allow the nForce200 to be put on an X58 motherboard. This looks to mean that SLI is going to get more expensive than it is right now if you want to pair it up with an Intel CPU.

Source:
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jul 2008 at 1:41am
the x58 chipset itself is estimated to cost ~$70 and with the addition of the sli chipset, it's going to be ~$100. Worth every penny imo.
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
 Post Reply Post Reply